Votes: 10 28.6%
  • shut the fuck up?

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
does anyone see this as fair?
We had to do an english speech for 4 to 5 mins on emma and cluesless on weather its was successful transformation.
i had a 8 minute speech so i had to cut it back. speech day comes and two girls (teachers pets) have 8 minute speeches and recieve 20/20 not being penalised for going over. you were sposeta loose a mark a minute over. i no someone who lost 5 marks for going over. i got 15/20. i could have got 19/20 if i didnt cut my speech and went for 8 minutes. i asked teacher what the go was (biggest double standards discrimination i have ever seen) he just refused to talk about it.
What should i do?:chainsaw: :argue: :confused:

Juliet

HSC
You should ask the appropriate person, you have the right to dispute your mark. Good luck:)

apollo

Depends on how much it matters to you. You've got every right to complain.

I'd be down the teachers throat about it, if he refused to talk about it I'd go see the head english teacher, unless he is it, in which case I'd go see the deputy.

Keep in mind that there is a possiblity they will make you sit an entire new assessment... Like, they'd can all the marks from the one you just did, then do a whole new one for the entire class... If you're lucky, they'll just adjust your mark and tell you to keep quiet... ;)

We had a similar situation, where we were told the limit for an assessment was 5 pages. This chick handed in 15 and got full marks. Heaps of people complained that if there was no penality for going over 5 pages, they would have done so, and arguably could have got betters marks. I would have whinged, but I got full marks with 3 well composed pages, so I just had a laugh at her wasted effort. Heaps of other people were spewin' though... Dunno what happened, I wasn't involved with the complaint and we haven't had to sit a new assessment...

:\

Last edited:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Ohh, I know how you feel! When I was in year 12 I had to do a speech "no longer than 4 minutes"-if we went over, we would get penalised 1 mark for every 30 secs. My speech was too long, so I had to cut heaps out of it til it was pretty basic, but only 4 mins-I practiced several times to make sure this was right. Then in the day I did it, I was in the middle of the speech, and an announcement came over the PA system. So I stopped talking while the announcement was being said, but the teacher didn't fucking think and kept the timer running. So I lost 2 1/2 marks (out of 20) for "going over time"...if I had have been ablt to actually use that 2 1/2 mins, my speech probably could have been a lot better. So I wound up with a pretty ordinary mark. Not only that-but we had to do this over 2 lessons, and the second lesson, the teacher realised afterwards that she had forgotten to time, so she just decided to trust that everyone had been within the time limits...which i guarantee that several people weren't!
I didn't do anything about it, but as you can probably tell, I am STILL bitter, and this was like 12 months ago. So I think you should say something!
Firstly, see if there are any other students as pissed off as you are. The more pissed off-the beter. Go to the principal or the deputy or someone, and explain the situation. However-be prepared for the fact that they will probably do noting about it, and try to make it out like you would have gotton the same mark even if you had talked longer for some reason or another-principals are arseholes like that. But even if it turns out like that, at least the chances are it won't happen to you again! And it is worth a shot anyway.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
poor crazy brad... i would want to kill my teacher if they explicitly said dont go over the time or u will get penalised then didnt do it just coz their pets did- very shitty! the same thing kinda happened 2 me in ancient history where this guy went 4 mins ova the time and didnt get penalised... i wasnt that cut tho coz i got 19/20 neways:D BRAD I WOULD DEFINETLY GO AND WHINGE TO A HEAD TEACHER! those girls should of got penalised hella badly! im a little scared coz i have an Eng speech next week and the teachers are like DONT GO OVER TIME!

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
yeh i think you should definately do something, otherwise u'd prolly always wonder what wouldve happened..
But i dont know if they will do much about it, i dont think they will just deduct marks from the girls, and i dont think they'll give u extra marks, because then all the other people who didnt go over should get extra too. .

is a roflcopter
HSC
obviously your teacher got some ass
:p

i wouldnt bitch too much though
all teachers are fucken vindictive
even if you get your marks back this time, they will nail you in the next assessment for sure

Fiona

Roadkill :)

No really... Definitely take it up with the head teacher of English or something.

Those marks could make all the difference to something :)

SoFTuaRiaL

i rekon the best person to go to is the head of the english dept .... unless he happens to be ur teacher ... :( :(

gnrlies

HSC
go to the head teacher...

just make sure you have someone to back you up, becuase it can seem very one sided if there isn't someone to confirm what your saying.

Just address the issue first up, so dont say "i want more marks" or "i was cheated," just bring the issue to their attention...

But one thing is for sure, they wont give you more marks, they are more likely to cut the marks of other people, so be carefull as you may end up with a few enemies after this! lol

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
nope, thats totally not fair. i kno wat u mean.. had u gone 4 8mins u would have had more info.. very slack!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my friend, chuck a school massacre...

okay, I'm joking.
Perhaps you could see the Head of the english dept to get it checked out, esp if those girls in everyone's eyes were blatantly overtime and the assessment criteria had a strict time limit to it. But a small caveat tho, DO NOT piss off the english dept in your school - english is the only compulsory subject AND NOBODY, NOBODY likes to be criticised - so try not to piss them off too much or be a smartass in front of them. Just chill and talk with them, see what they can do.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
it's frigid's wannabe gf, jen lay, that jr girl he keeps talking about
or should i say, frigid wants to be her bf, but she's too good for him
as he says 'jen is god'

is a roflcopter
HSC
i see............sorry but she kinda looks like......ermmm nvm :D

*runs* :p

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
YEP my teacher is the head teacher, neway even though it said you cant go over time he said afterwards that (like a week ago) that 3 mins over was ok (my arse it is) neway i had another speech today and we have 2 classes and the other class teacher was marking, yup u betcha she favours girls too. she also tells her class how to get the marks and not ours. grrrrr. i got info off my teacher that in her eyes is wrong so it looks like ive fucked up. 10 mins notice is not enough time to memorise 22 lines of king lear "your not allowed to refer to notes" so said well guess what iam! stupid bitch. i think english shopuld be abolised
singo high sucks tha cock!

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
i see i'm not the only one who chose the option "shut the fuck up" :p:D

hazza

at my school we got a master in charge of studies, he deals with year 11 and 12 shit, basically stuff like this. talk to that sorta person.

take the assesment guidlines and dispute it. a guy at my school did a 7.5 min speech in a 4 min thing, lost 5.5 marks and ended up getting 2.5/10 for a hsc assesment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)