The Hunger Games (1 Viewer)

ladymarella

HSC
Alright, if you haven't read this you should. I'm not into futuristic adventure novels usually, but this was EXCELLENT. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. The sequal, Catching Fire, has just come out and the third one's coming out later in the year.
Basically, without giving too much away, it's about this dystopian society (with a lot of references to ancient rome actually) where there is the annual Hunger Games, a reality tv show where twenty four teenagers from the districts controoled controlled by the Capitol are forced into an arena to kill eachother, the winner, the last one standing.
Don't let the fact Stephanie Meyer recommended it put you off if you don't like Twilight. It's full of three dimensional characters, great plot and a lot of subtle socaia commentary on our society's obssession with entertainment and the loss of our empathy.
If you read it let me know what you think. One piece of advice, take it slowly and don't rush even though the whole thing is just suspense. It drags it out and prolongs it even further.

HSC
hmm, i wasn't gonna get this (due to said endorsement by stephenie meyer, though don't forget stephen king also praised it) but after your description, maybe i will. it sounds a lot more intelligent than i gave credit for and it's like 10 bucks at work atm so i may as well.

HSC
okay, so i finished it today. before i read your post i didn't believe there would be any actual substance to it and i was proven wrong. thankyou for convincing me to read it, because it was brilliant.

i rarely like a story's heroine, they're usually far too perfect. but katniss is great, she's strong-willed and can fend for herself but at the same time we're aware that without cinna getting her all that attention, peeta protecting her and haymitch sustaining her she'd be dead, so she's vulnerable in a sense.

and it had what so many commercial releases sorely lack, an actual message. it makes you think of whether perhaps we are worse than the capitol and ancient rome, for the simple reason that people in reality TV shows today are motivated by fame and money, these kids are forced and are motivated by survival. to me it kind of says that shows like big brother are just another form of sadistic brutality (stripping people of their freedom, confining them and separating them from their families), but it is a morally accepted one because there's no outright violence.

it's actually something you can analyse too, it has references to other novels/intertextuality. i.e. the character of Rue and her singing with the birds seems to be a reference to the classic 'to kill a mockingbird': 'kill all the bluejays you want, if you can hit em' but it's a sin to kill a mockingbird'. her fate kind of illustrates the depravity and senselessness of the capitol, i cried a lot during that particular scene.

the writing itself was very vivid, i had no problem envisioning the entire thing. i should start placing my bets now that this will sooner or late be made into a movie (EDIT: just checked the wiki page. apparently im not too far off, the film rights have been bought by lionsgate. but thankfully the author will be writing the adaptation apparently). i like that when the games have been won, katniss should be safe but instead we get the sense that her struggle for survival has only begun.

tl;dr version:
- brilliant book with actual substance
- protagonist you don't want to stab
- an actual message/social commentary
- well-written
- read it

as you can tell by my long post, i really enjoyed it. i would definitely recommend it and anticipate buying the second in the trilogy :)

Last edited:

ladymarella

HSC
Glad you liked it. It has quickly become one of my favourite books which is surprising seeming this is entirely different to my usual gnre. The sequal's amazing too. It's just as good, if not better than the first one.

HSC
i tend to stick to the fantasy genre usually, magic, dragons, kings and queens, that type of thing. so it was a refereshing change of pace, it's definitely one of my favourite series.

yeah, i read catching fire too. the whole District 13 conspiracy theory of an underground society and the rebellions were my favourite parts, along with haymitch's time in the arena. the concept of the quarter quell was such a cruel twist. but i was so enthused in the rebellion plot, that to me, the arena was a distraction from the part of the story i wanted to know. but it was still a great read, i can't believe we have to wait until next year to find out what happens. i particularly want to know the fate of Peeta, poor guy :(

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Just started reading this out of impulse after reading this thread (procrastinating from HSC study)
Stayed up the night reading, up to the part where
Rue dies. Oh my God.
This book is great. Might use it for belonging text seeing as I'm screwed for English anyway

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Just started reading this out of impulse after reading this thread (procrastinating from HSC study)
Stayed up the night reading, up to the part where
Rue dies. Oh my God.
This book is great. Might use it for belonging text seeing as I'm screwed for English anyway
Haha, just starting some study for the whole year?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Just finished it. Fantastic book.
I think the Rue subplot could have been integrated more into the story. It seemed as if the author needed to fill space and added the subplot at the last minute, hence it doesn't mix with the story as well as it could have. Also, it would have been nice if the Rue subplot was extended a lot more for more character development. That whole subplot just seems to disappear after she dies..

HSC
I think the Rue subplot is alot to do with the brutality of the games.
i agree with this.

youngminii, i think it happens so quick to show us that rue is being prematurely ripped from the world. she just doesnt live long enough for character development. it shows how cruel the capitol are for taking pleasure in her death because they havent taken the time to see her as a person. i hope that makes sense. i thought that it was a conscious decision of the author, but that's just my opinion :) also rue's subplot is visited in the second book, catching fire. which you should read too lol.

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Ahh more HSC procrastination? I think I shall read it.

I'm so tired from my all nighter reading the damn book. Nevertheless, I shall start catching fire now

youngminii

Banned
HSC
K just finished. Pretty good, pretty good.
Excellent tie-in to the next book. I also think that they used the Rue subplot a lot better in this book. As I said earlier, in the last book it seemed as if it was added at the last moment, not being mentioned again (except at the Thresh scenario). Whereas in this book, Rue's death was used almost throughout the entire book.

Some of the book was a bit iffy, the end a bit confusing (perhaps it's my lack of sleep). Seemed to be a bit rushed, while you could tell the first book was carefully planned out and revised (except for the Rue subplot and towards the end).

Nevertheless, great book. Looking forward to the third book and failing my HSC.

ladymarella

HSC
I do agree that the ending of the second book is a bit rushed but I love the rest of it, how you have no idea where it's going at first. The third book does not come out until next year, so will have to wait.

HSC
Some of the book was a bit iffy, the end a bit confusing (perhaps it's my lack of sleep).
No, if you're talking about the part where Johanna cuts the tracer out of her arm and onwards, definitely not. I was also really confused at that part, read it a couple of times because I didn't know whether Katniss was just in some blood-loss coma dream or something. Then when the head Gamemaker explained everything I understood. But she said at some point that District 13 being live really wasn't a rumour, that part was really rushed. There was no elaboration whatsoever, which was a little bit frustrating but I have faith that it will be explained fully in the next book.

Nevertheless, great book. Looking forward to the third book and failing my HSC.
Haha well the third book isn't out yet so you can concentrate on your HSC now lol.

ladymarella

HSC
Ramdomly, did you get teary with the bit where she and Peeta are talking on the beach? (Chapter 24) Also do you hate Gale? And what about Haymitch? Alot of my friends are very divided over what characters they love/ hate.
For me I love Peeta and can't stand Gale.

HSC
Ramdomly, did you get teary with the bit where she and Peeta are talking on the beach? (Chapter 24) Also do you hate Gale? And what about Haymitch? Alot of my friends are very divided over what characters they love/ hate.
For me I love Peeta and can't stand Gale.
a little bit, i felt sad for Peeta when he said that no one needs him :( i think Katniss does, like when she has the nightmares - that's something she shares with him and only him, sure Gale could comfort her or whatever but Peeta's the only one who would actually understand.

i don't hate Gale, i hate that he will probably be with Katniss rather than Peeta. Peeta = structured future the capitol had set out for her, whereas Gale = rebellion. i think that's the way that Collins will play it. i like Katniss & Peeta much better,because it was strange that after stating that he's just a friend in the first book, Gale all of a sudden becomes her choice of love interest in the second.

i feel sorry for Haymitch. every year he has to watch the two tributes he's charged with protecting die. when he talks about when he had to choose whether to send the packages to Katniss or Peeta - i.e. to sacrifice one for the sake of the other - it's clear he has to make these heart-wrending choices every year, often for nothing. his alcoholism is the only way he can live with himself. what's your opinion on him?

aww, i wish my friends had read the Hunger Games, i could have more discussions about it.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Hahaha I hate Peeta.
Well, I didn't really mind him but I'm for GaleXKatniss so everytime there's a PeetaXKatniss scene (which happens very often) I dislike Peeta more.

I personally think Haymitch is sort of a father figure to Katniss, except he's been hurt and Katniss feels the need to protect him at times.

Gdedaj

Procrastinator
HSC
I bought this a few weeks ago when looking for some way to procrastinate. I loved it :)
I just bought the sequel, but I still need to read it..

Dee_

HSC
great books
i love them :)
and im team peeta (L)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)