Norwegian Wood... (1 Viewer)

Twinkie_Me

HSC
What a mesmerizing tale of a young life. The backstories of the various characters were some of the most brilliant I've ever read.

Couple that with fabulous humour and emotional depth, this was a book I could really relate to as a young adult.

Please tell me I'm not the only fan of Murakami around here...

starshine02

HSC
Yes it is a really nice story! And I love Murakami too except I think I prefer the Wind-up Bird Chronicles better. It takes a while to get into it but otherwise it's a fantastic read!

Twinkie_Me

HSC
Yeah I bought The Wind up Bird Chronicle quite recently. Apparently it has a lot more depth and symbolism than Norwegian Wood.

Have you seen the film adaptation for Norwegian Wood?

starshine02

HSC
Haven't seen the film but apparently if you've read the book first then the film won't seem as deep as it just skims the story really quickly or something. I want to read 1Q84 except it's always on loan at my library...probably means it's a good book :D

Twinkie_Me

HSC
Yeah the film in my opinion was pretty barren comparing to the novel. It was really glorifying to see the characters that you imagined in the novel come to screen but as a whole, the film won't do much for people who have already read the novel.

Oh yeah 1Q84! So many books...so little time.
>_<

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
Murakami. I remember the first time I came across a beat up, tattered, second hand copy of His Wind-up Bird Chronicles. Didn't really know what I was getting myself into. Finished it in one sitting. Made me get dem feels.

norwegianwood

HSC
lol this is my username. mostly for the song, but i did like the book too.

jadiskris

HSC
Huge Murakami fan reporting in right here!
NW is a great starter. I would recommend it to any of his first-time readers.
My personal favorite is Sputnik Sweetheart though.

I'm still yet to finish 1Q84...

happywendigo

HSC
I'm currently reading it, its my 5th Murakami book. I'm intrigued by his writing style and how his characters are settled in reality and normal society but bring out the most it, which I haven't managed to see in other novels.

Any chance its good as a related text for the Belong AOS?

butterflygrace

HSC
I have a friend who used Norwegian Wood as a belonging related text, and she gets very good marks in English so I think it would be good to use! However it's very very very complex, being a Murakami work, and I've read some interviews of his and I'm not entirely sure if he intended to make sense. But, it does have strong portrayals of isolation and how different relationships are created - this reply might have come too late for you though...
I loved Norwegian Wood, and I thought the movie didn't live up to the book but it was still beautiful. I want to read the book again when I'm in university though, because I think I'll understand it more.
Also, I thought Wind-Up Bird was really really good, it was such an interesting story and Murakami writes so well and the characters and ideas are so interesting aaaaah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)