Free ebooks and online texts (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I'm not sure how many of you are aware of the existence of ebooks and free online texts. The concept is that the copyright has run out on these books, they were never copyrighted, or they have been made available for public consumption. This includes the classics and some more recent books (see: Matthew Reilly).

This is a list of sites which provide free access to texts online. Please assist this endeavour by posting links to sites with free ebooks or alerting me when a link moves or is taken down.

Happy reading :)

-------------------------------
http://nightmare.org/ebooks/
Literature Network: http://www.online-literature.com/
Coradella Collegiate Bookshelf: http://www.literature-online.net/
Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://www.ditext.com/etexts.html
http://www.sparknotes.com/

santaslayer

HSC
Sorry, just a question: Do people actually read these e-books online? Printing every sheet isn't financially viable, whilst reading dead straight from the computer isn't really a healthy option as well?

overthaedge

HSC
santaslayer said:
Sorry, just a question: Do people actually read these e-books online? Printing every sheet isn't financially viable, whilst reading dead straight from the computer isn't really a healthy option as well?
i always just read them straight off the screen

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
The best option is to shrink the font so you can fit two pages per sheet of paper and print it back to back. Having said that, your eyes would stand a better chance against a computer monitor

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
santaslayer said:

Now you have me worried. I read a lot of classic novels of the internet when I can't find them anywhere. What is the health you speak of?

pisa1

HSC
awesome, thanks. google also offers some service of ebooks.

the health would prolly refer to the eyes/back right? staring at a computer is supposed to be bad for your eyes and sitting in front of one for too long always makes my back ache.

Abraxus

HSC
i've always thought ebooks kill the whole purpose of reading books, cause you're restricted to staying in front of the computer screen as opposed to bringing it where you go and reading it at an opportunity (waiting rooms, uni breaks etc). but then i've found more books in ebook format than in the library .. so i just make it a notepad file and put it in my ipod (in the Notes folder where you can read them on the ipod screen). or if you have one of the good phones you can put pdfs on it and read it off your phone .. i got a friend that does that.

theone3

HSC
Abraxus said:
i've always thought ebooks kill the whole purpose of reading books, cause you're restricted to staying in front of the computer screen as opposed to bringing it where you go and reading it at an opportunity (waiting rooms, uni breaks etc). but then i've found more books in ebook format than in the library .. so i just make it a notepad file and put it in my ipod (in the Notes folder where you can read them on the ipod screen). or if you have one of the good phones you can put pdfs on it and read it off your phone .. i got a friend that does that.
Pdas are good ;)

There's an AUSSIE Project Gutenberg, because (Bless you, John Howard) we have less restrictive copyright laws, so we're allowed access to more books.

http://gutenberg.net.au/

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
God's Debris
Synopsis
Imagine that you meet a very old man who—you eventually realize—knows literally everything. Imagine that he explains for you the great mysteries of life—quantum physics, evolution, God, gravity, light, psychic phenomenon, and probability—in a way so simple, so novel, and so compelling that it all fits together and makes perfect sense. What does it feel like to suddenly understand everything? God's Debris isn’t the final answer to the Big Questions. But it might be the most compelling vision of reality you will ever read. The thought experiment is this: Try to figure out what’s wrong with the old man’s explanation of reality. Share the book with your smart friends then discuss it later while enjoying a beverage.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
I'm not sure if this is actually a valid e-text, but I was provided with a .doc version of it so I assume it's freely available. Worth a read. :)

joyeeta

in a town which has a ute mounted on a pole ...
HSC
tell u what i hate, those caseete books and stuff. like okay i undertand if u r blind, or cant read thats fine. but people with healthy i balls and no rpoblems what so ever, down loading books on to their ipod and LISTENING to it!! a book was written with one very clear purpose with other sub purposes attatched to it. they were made to be READ! i dont understand, does anyone else agree?

Lainee

HSC
joyeeta said:
tell u what i hate, those caseete books and stuff. like okay i undertand if u r blind, or cant read thats fine. but people with healthy i balls and no rpoblems what so ever, down loading books on to their ipod and LISTENING to it!! a book was written with one very clear purpose with other sub purposes attatched to it. they were made to be READ! i dont understand, does anyone else agree?
I have to disagree with you. People who don't have time to sit still for X amount of hrs and read the written word will find audio books a lifesaver. I've recently taken up listening to them in my car on the way to uni, or while I'm doing chores around the house.

A book was written with the purpose of being read, yep. But there's more to it. It's comforting having someone read to you, a book can be shared and enjoyed by many at the same time through audio books.

joyeeta

in a town which has a ute mounted on a pole ...
HSC
yeah i understand what ur saying Lainee but i mean all those people who arent students. i hate it how people consuming magazines like cosmo are encouraging people to download their books. dont u feel it takes the magic out of reading and books in general?

HSC
Project Gutenberg is excellent - I certainly prefer reading the good old-fashioned way, but it's great for when I either desperately need to read something; or something to read. Generally I compromise by going on the Internet by candelight.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Yeah, reading online books does lack something, but unfortunately a lot of the classics that are available on many websites (since their copyright has expired) are not to be found in any library.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)