Advice on operation strategies assignment (1 Viewer)

bigdawstv

HSC
So we have an assignment explaining each operation strategy.

How would you guys structure the essay, and would you include diagrams?

Thanks

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
So we have an assignment explaining each operation strategy.

How would you guys structure the essay, and would you include diagrams?

Thanks
Just to confirm - does this assignment require you to prepare an ESSAY or a BUSINESS REPORT? For now, I'll assume essay.

Either way, since you haven't given us a hypothetical situation (I can only assume so with what you've provided), you'll need to use your own case study (i.e. start researching a business and see how it utilises operation strategies to attain a competitive advantage).

Would you include diagrams?

Generally no. I wouldn't use diagrams in Business essays (that's more preferable in Economics essays) but I would use them in Business reports.

The Syllabus

First of all, let's look at the relevant syllabus section:
operations strategies
 performance objectives – quality, speed, dependability, flexibility, customisation, cost
 new product or service design and development
 supply chain management – logistics, e-commerce, global sourcing
 outsourcing – advantages and disadvantages
 technology – leading edge, established
 inventory management – advantages and disadvantages of holding stock, LIFO (last-in-first-out), FIFO (first-in-first-out), JIT (just-in-time)
 quality management
– control
– assurance
– improvement
 overcoming resistance to change – financial costs, purchasing new equipment, redundancy payments, retraining, reorganising plant layout, inertia
 global factors – global sourcing, economies of scale, scanning and learning, research and development
These dot-points will be the main ideas of your ''body paragraphs''. You don't need to do all of them so just pick a few (I assume you have a word count limit).

ESSAY STRUCTURE (not report structure)

Introduction
- If you've been given a broad question/statement (e.g. to what extent or do you agree), you should highlight your stance/position on the question/statement in your OPENING sentence.
- Introduce the case study/case studies and operation strategies that you will be discussing and outline how these operation strategies have contributed to the stronger performance of a business with your case study (e.g. Qantas, Apple, etc.)

Body Paragraphs (TEEL or anything similar)
- Topic sentence: Opening line of a body paragraph which indicates the operation strategy that you will explain. e.g. inventory management strategy such as JIT, a performance objective, etc. (refer to syllabus)
- Explain: 1-2 sentences component of the body where you will ''explain'' why this operation strategy is important/allows a business to gain a competitive advantage (really depends on the question given).
- Evidence/Example: 1-2 sentences component of the body where you will provide ''evidence'' to illustrate how an organisation, your case study (example), has utilised this operation strategy to improve its business performance (or whatever the question demands).
- Link: Final sentence of the body where you will ''link'' back to the question. Therefore/Thus/Hence are good indicators.

Conclusion
- Recap the operation strategies that you have discussed.
- With reference to your case study, emphasise the IMPORTANCE of operation strategies for a business.

bigdawstv

HSC
Fuk your a beast thanks man.

Yeah its an in class essay, but our teacher wants us to do some research for it.

I only know that we have to write about the operation strategies. "He wants us to explain the operation strategies" that's all the information we were given.

Thanks for the essay structure though, going to start preparing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)