Condoleezza Rice (US Secretary of State) Was At My Uni Today (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N16119342.htm

Anyway, my experience... they closed off essential areas of my uni, had sniffer dogs everywhere in the corridors, closed off every exit except one, implanted metal detectors at the front of my uni, demanded that from 11-3pm people to be searched/check their bags before going to and from my uni.

The singers at our uni had their classes cancelled because they might disrupt Ms Rice.

I saw a student get arrested.... I missed the comotion but "Team America" was sung.

I just felt really jerked around, all because of this. Of all places to talk about war she goes to a MUSIC university, and expect us to cancel classes for the sake of making it a better venue. They gave us no notice. The Dean got the email yesterday afternoon.

The student the news article suggests are people from main campus. Damn you sydney main campus. You finally admitted that the con looks hotter so you send her to our venue rather than go out into your lovely quadrangle.

I sound a lot bitter than I really am. Just, well... my uni wasnt an education institution today, and I had no say of whether I as a student wanted to be jerked around. Majority of teachers and students felt this way. It was such a state of chaos, no one could find classes anywhere.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
She's quite an accomplished music lady. You should be grateful that the world's most powerful woman graced you with her sexy presence!

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
The sniffer dogs were cute ^.^
Heheh, stupid me went out to get some real coffee down the road, and couldn't get back inside till 4.15 pm- so a bunch of us waited in the sun outside for 3 and a half hours. Yes, the joy of having Condalisa Rise at our Uni today Fun Fun.
At least i got my Harmony work done. Heh. Which reminds me.. I still have to mark my aural stuff. Hmm.
But I have to admit, It was rather unfair. I had to cancel three students today because I couldn't get to my locker.. let alone into the Con. Grrrr...
So annoying. And classes cancelled. SINGING students.. That seems a little unfair too. Stuff disturbing her. She works for George Bush, same ideas as the prick.. Why should we care! hahaha.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

I heard someone mention something about Rice calling someone 'senator'... What was this about?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
wat irony - u have the freedom to speak ur mind, but ur led away afterwards to prevent further speakin of ur mind...

X

xeuyrawp

HotShot said:
wat irony - u have the freedom to speak ur mind, but ur led away afterwards to prevent further speakin of ur mind...
I think the issue of security has to be considered, unless it's like Bush going into Parliament. That just went against our most fundamental rules.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think the issue of security has to be considered, unless it's like Bush going into Parliament. That just went against our most fundamental rules.
i dont know how much security u need, snipers in surroundin buildings, guards , sniffer dogs.

i mean if security was the issues why did she come to the uni?

personally i dont think it was gud move for her to come to australia, with all the terrorism, it provides link between australia and america (although there is already one) and thus creates an excuse for terrorist to bomb us.. that security.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
HotShot said:
i dont know how much security u need, snipers in surroundin buildings, guards , sniffer dogs.

personally i dont think it was gud move for her to come to australia, with all the terrorism, it provides link between australia and america (although there is already one) and thus creates an excuse for terrorist to bomb us.. that security.
Meanwhile, those of us with balls gladly welcome the utterly friendly visit.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I found it rather disgusting that for some of those protesters (Many of whom were main campus based activists that I know very well), THIS marked their first visit to the Con. Not to deal with the student issues that they, as our so-called elected representatives, should be dealing with. Not to foster student community. But to cause trouble, damage our building and harass my classmates.

People like Condoleezza Rice might not be welcome at the Con, but neither are those fucking protesters. They should go back to their own graffiti-covered, trash-infested campus, and leave us alone.

Edit: Condoleezza Rice IS welcome at the Con. She's a concert pianist, and a prime example of how a musician can utilise the skillset unique to musicians to advantage in society.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I sound a lot bitter than I really am. Just, well... my uni wasnt an education institution today, and I had no say of whether I as a student wanted to be jerked around. Majority of teachers and students felt this way. It was such a state of chaos, no one could find classes anywhere.
Welcome to Camperdown, UIC.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
This article is to be published in the next edition of the Honi. This article does NOT represent my personal viewpoint, and as a Conservatorium student at uni that day, I question the validity of the claims. Nevertheless, the article:

Last week, Sydney Uni played host to Condoleezza Rice, who spoke to a crowd of select students and university administration at the Conservatorium of Music. Up to 80 students, who felt that the visit by a key supporter of the war had to be met with resistance, gathered at less than 24 hours notice to protest Rice's presence.

Condoleezza Rice is one of the key figures within the Bush Administration, named by Forbes magazine as the most powerful woman in the world. In both her current role as US Secretary of State, and until 2005 as National Security Advisor, Rice has been directly involved and an outspoken supporter of the US invasion of Iraq. This invasion and ongoing occupation has resulted in the death of up to 180,000 innocent Iraqis, an occupation Rice insists on continuing in the name of 'democracy', despite the fact that 80 percent of Iraqis democratically demand an immediate withdrawal of US (and Australian) troops.

By 1pm on Thursday, an initial 40 students had gathered outside the Con, already cordoned off by police. Rather than the usual mix of musos and academics, the campus was instead overrun by riot police, horses, and dog squads. Numbers swelled as protestors were joined by Con students, kicked off their campus to make way for Rice. Protestors linked arms, chanted anti-war slogans, and peacefully made it known that the uni was a student space, not one for Rice and her war-mongering agenda.

Things heated up when Piers Akerman, from the Daily Telegraph, attempted to break his way through the student line, despite the fact that many other attendants had managed to enter the Con by simply walking around the protestor's picket line. What was reported by the mainstream media as students "pushing and jostling" Akerman was in fact a case of Akerman himself using every pound to push and jostle through the students, trampling one protestor in the process.

This was the excuse the police needed. They surged into protest, knocking over students, and forcing them back by 20 metres. A peaceful assembly was thus turned into a violent and intimidating police attack. Several students were reportedly punched by officers, and one female student reported being sexually harassed. 6 students were arrested, including two students from the Con, one of whom was on crutches at the protest, and the other who showed her dissent simply by dancing. How either of them was seriously meant to have 'hindered police', the offence they and the others have been charged with, appears uncertain.

Inside, all was not quiet either, with three students ejected from the hall for heckling. Rice's response was to claim she was glad to see democracry was alive and well at Austrralian universities, and that it "is now alive at the… university of Baghdad as well". This, despite the fact that those students voicing their opinion at the event were silenced.

But perhaps we should ask what the university administration was doing by inviting Rice onto campus? Students have consistently expressed their opposition to the Iraq war, and yet Sydney Uni sees it appropriate to play host to Rice, responsible for the death of so many Iraqis. For one day, the Con essentially became a no-go zone for the uninvited. Students' classes were cancelled, and those there studying and rehearsing were told to leave. One Con student remarked that the university administration saw his campus 'not as a university but as a function room … the concern is profit - education and the needs of students are sidelined'.

For the past decade, the Vice Chancellor has become progressively more dismissive of student opinions. Those students who oppose his vision for the university are met not with dialogue, but police. In 2000, the Student Centre was occupied for 7 hours when frustration at the administration's indifference to student demands boiled over. The occupation ended late that night when students were evicted by police and dogs. In 2004, the University cut the Nursing Faculty. Rather than engage with students' opposition, the university ordered a complete police lock-down of the Quad and University Senate meeting. Similarly, last year's anti-VSU campaign saw undercover police invited on-campus to arrest activists in an attempt to silence the campaign. Last Thursday was yet another sign that the Vice Chancellor does not concern himself with student demands – that's a job for the police!

Thursday's events highlight the need to fight VSU. In a political atmosphere where police do not hesitate to violently silence voices of dissent within the community, it is only through collective strength that students can have any influence. Be it fighting against HECS increases, or the US occupation of Iraq, VSU attempts to silence students, just as the police attempted to silence students last Thursday.

The lesson we can draw from the Con protest is that it is not only the government's agenda, but that of our own university administration, that must be challenged. In the case of last week, the needs of the Con students took backseat, as the administration sought to reaffirm their status by playing host to the world's most powerful woman. We as students need the SRC, the only body which actually represents OUR interests, to make sure that uni exists for the benefit of students - not for Rice, not for any other pro-war propagandist. That is why students must once again fight against VSU, and demand full-funding of the SRC from the university administration.

By James Robertson and Paul Ferris

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In my opinion, the Con community should have been far more prepared for the event. Of course people are going to use the Con as a venue for other than learning, it's why our building is constantly modernised, kept clean and respected the world over. But that's not an excuse for the disruption of our learning.

That said, Con students do not appreciate the violence and the troublemaking brought over by activists from main campus and elsewhere. Violent behaviour as demonstrated by these protesters doesn't belong anywhere at the University of Sydney, and that is especially true of the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. It is bad enough they claim to speak on behalf of students at main campus, when they clearly do not. But now they dare to claim they speak on the behalf of students at the Con. I, for one have had enough - and I declare that VIOLENT ACTIVISTS ARE NOT WELCOME AT THE CON.

We're not happy with main campus for forcing this presentation at our campus. And we're not happy with main campus for bringing the violence and vandalism over to our beautiful facility. I say to them GO HOME. We don't want you. The Con is NOT a political arena, and we won't tolerate the kind of bullshit they take on main campus.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Phanatical said:
In my opinion, the Con community should have been far more prepared for the event. Of course people are going to use the Con as a venue for other than learning, it's why our building is constantly modernised, kept clean and respected the world over. But that's not an excuse for the disruption of our learning.

That said, Con students do not appreciate the violence and the troublemaking brought over by activists from main campus and elsewhere. Violent behaviour as demonstrated by these protesters doesn't belong anywhere at the University of Sydney, and that is especially true of the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. It is bad enough they claim to speak on behalf of students at main campus, when they clearly do not. But now they dare to claim they speak on the behalf of students at the Con. I, for one have had enough - and I declare that VIOLENT ACTIVISTS ARE NOT WELCOME AT THE CON.

We're not happy with main campus for forcing this presentation at our campus. And we're not happy with main campus for bringing the violence and vandalism over to our beautiful facility. I say to them GO HOME. We don't want you. The Con is NOT a political arena, and we won't tolerate the kind of bullshit they take on main

campus.
i think ur gay "violent activists are not welcome...", i think they have the right to protest in any manner they like just like the cronulla riots. those riots were accepted by the entire australia, thats why they only like arrested 7 people of few thousand.... so i think livin in australia you are allowed to violently protest. after all isnt what niggas did.....? they violently protested?.......

violents activists have right to go where they want and when they want, if you wanna be safe then dont stand in their way (bike rider philosophy -sad).

violent activists have freedom of speech, why cant they say what they want why do they have to unwelcome - are urestricting their freedoom of speech?

violent activists have human rights, they are welcome so why should not be allowed to the COn when everyone else is? i thought australia a equal nation.

STUPID POSTS GET STUPID REPLIES

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
What a fucking genius you are. You should be US Secretary of State instead of Con dolcezza.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Well hey. Main campus is bigger, if something like that goes on at main campus, the whole Campus Isn't going to be affected- but of course, the ENTIRE con was closed of. Heck, to get to my locker it took bloody 4 hours of waiting.

Btw Con students: if you weren't at the meeting today, there's a petition and stuff going round about the Dean, and about this stuff- Also, i think there's going to be a stop time during orchestral studies, something like that was disscussed, Can't remember much of it now.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Of course they wouldn't held it at main campus. 80 violent protesters would have soon turned into 800/8000.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I think it's VERY important that we Con students keep things in perspective. Sure, having classes disrupted warrants action. But we must not do so by supporting the protesters. We must condemn them as surely as we condemn being displaced from our own campus. We must send a clear message - neither Condoleezza Rice, nor the protesters are wanted at the Con!

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Though in the light news section, you haven't been given room to 'debate' such issues in a childish manner.

The childish posts in question have been deleted.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

HotShot said:
Because it's their job?

How hard is it to type properly?

Let's leave aside the fact that a lot of politicians go everywhere. Bush recently went to China. Will China now be a target for terrorists?

Back to the fact: Terrorists already had an excuse to bomb us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)