overweight and old mothers refused IVF (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
an article i saw earlier on todaytonight brought up the topic of IVF and how some women are outraged that they are being refused treatment.

One doctor is refusing to treat old[over 45] or "overweight" as tt put it[really its obese, he said people with a BMI of 35 or higher i would have to weigh over 110kg to be of the same class] people because he thinks its stupid and dangerous for these people to undergo IVF

women think its all about feminist rights, and how they have the right to have children when really, ovese women or old women have a very low fertility rate, and thats why they need IVF, but its also the reason why the baby is unlikely to carry to term.

i think its just common sense, 2 fat? no baby. 2 old? non baby. Simple

you can tell tt what you think about it here: http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/contact_feedback1

and work out your BMI here: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I think if the only reason you can't get pregnant is the fact that you are very overweight (and hence have stopped ovulating) than whilst it is probably discriminatory to be denied IVF treatment, it is just being lazy to pay all that money to get pregnant via non-natural means rather than losing a few kilos and getting pregnant naturally.

And I am against old mothers, I think it is selfish, so I don't have much to say about them being denied IVF treatment. We are programmed to stop conceiving at a certain age for good reason, and its not fair on the children that result to have parents so old.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I agree no helping fatties and grannies get pregnant.*

*crude terminology used for crude alliteration;)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If these women did go through with the operation... and died... the doctors I imagine would be found negligent even if they did warn them about the risk due to the high, potentially fatal risk.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
IVF isn't an operation, its a quick procedure.

Its not that theres a risk involved, its that extremely overweight and older women are just less likely to concieve. IVF costs $4000 a go (that is, for every embryo they put inside the woman to try and get it to implant) and its a huge waste of money and time to go undergo IVF if you body, for either the fact that you are overweight or old, isn't going to let it implant.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah a pregnancy is risky with any woman, add age or weight into the mix and there could be even more serious problems, especially with blood pressure and stuff.

banco55

HSC
I can't tell from the story but do you mean they've been refused taxpayer subsidized IVF or have they been told no IVF at all?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea so assisting a woman whom has a high risk of complications during pregnancy - to get pregnant - seems like a highly unethical and dangerous legally practice :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
My mum was older (40) when I was born, and I wouldn't change it. Yeah, I've wondered what it would be like to have a younger mother, and all through my life my mum has been mistaken for my grandmother, but I don't care. There were a lot of circumstances as why she didn't have children younger. She conceived me naturally, and I am completely fit and healthy. The doctors performed an amniocentesis to ensure I didn't have Downs or something, as there is a higher chance of it in older mums, but essentially I was the perfect baby.

I find it interesting societal attitudes towards older mothers. Yeah, I agree that having babies past a certain point is wrong (say, 50)...but noone ever says anything about older fathers. I know lots of men that have fathered babies in their 50s, and I mean, look at Donald Trump, Woody Allen, all them. They're practically archaic, but its "fine" and "acceptable" by society's standards :rolleyes:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I think you'll find that that is not really all that acceptable in society. Its just never really brought up because the mother is actually the one bearing the child.

Generator

HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
I find it interesting societal attitudes towards older mothers. Yeah, I agree that having babies past a certain point is wrong (say, 50)...but noone ever says anything about older fathers. I know lots of men that have fathered babies in their 50s, and I mean, look at Donald Trump, Woody Allen, all them. They're practically archaic, but its "fine" and "acceptable" by society's standards :rolleyes:
I know that I'm stating the obvious, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that older men and their children aren't necessarily at risk given that they aren't the ones to required to carry a child to term? Not every social attitude is necessarily unreasonable, jess.

That all said, older men fathering children isn't exactly considered to be a social norm.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
MiuMiu said:
No IVF at all.

I wasn't aware IVF was subsidised?
I think in most circumstances medicare pays a large chunk of the bills.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I know that I'm stating the obvious, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that older men and their children aren't necessarily at risk given that they aren't the ones to required to carry a child to term? Not every social attitude is necessarily unreasonable, jess.

That all said, older men fathering children isn't exactly considered to be a social norm.
I agree with this.

against these 2 groups as they aren't the only groups that are "more at risk".
And the doctors are saying they're the only groups that are at more risk? I don't think so... however as far as large groups that want to be mothers are concerned, overweight slightly older women are probably the largest of the groups at risk.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Fat women shouldn't be mothers. They are simply emotionally & physically too weak to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)