Poll: do you believe in god?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 726 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 18134
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: Does God exist?

  1. #251
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    in the rain
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    9

    Creation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Riqtay
    I believe that those who don't believe in God appear to show wisdom and logic behind their convictions, yet in actuality they use logic only in certain situations to their advantage.

    They argue that a creation requires a creator, yet dismiss the concept of God. Using logic, a creation (e.g a child) requires a creator (ie the parents). Yet these people claim to use logic, rather they employ the dogma of there being no God, associated with athiesm.

    They may argue that there is no physical evidence to prove the existence of God, yet they cannot answer the question 'who created the universe?'

    No one, as an answer to that question, highlights their biased application of logic (ie they believe that a child requires a creator yet they dismiss there being a creator of the universe).
    This is a strong point and holds a lot of truth. simply not believing in something, does not therefore mean it does not exist.
    These questions, of whether the universe was indeed created are extremely important. If there was no creation, then there is no creator God, and if there is no God, then God of the bible is then a false God.
    No God means no person in control of the universe. Holding to no creation obviously has serious ramifications for all 'creatures' of the universe. Humanity along with the rest of the universe simply exists with no possibility of finding any meaning outside of itself. Human beings might concoct meaning and purpose, but having no external justification these might readily change to suit changing cirmcumstances. This indeed is what happens when people choose to live as though there is no God.
    There are those who have the view that the God who made the universe had to start with something. It has not been conceivable that God could not act without raw materials, no matter how basic. Understandably, questions arise like 'where did such material come from?' Some, perhaps familiar with modern scientific cosmology and subscribing to one great deity, power or force lying behind the existence and character of the universe, might still consider such a God one who had to depend on certain givens. Such dualism is not consistant with bible perspectives. The God of the Bible is not recognised as having any such limitations and is far more powerful, purposeful, and personal than would otherwise be suggested.

    I believe that there was a creation. And that that creation was by God, and with no starting materials. This is extremely important, because i can now trust the Bible and put my faith and hope in Christ.
    If you have not looked deeply into different means of creation, i suggest you read the book "Creation out of Nothing" which explores creation and looks at the floors in different theories.

    Creation matters. We only live once, lets find the truth.

  2. #252
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    Humanity along with the rest of the universe simply exists with no possibility of finding any meaning outside of itself. Human beings might concoct meaning and purpose, but having no external justification these might readily change to suit changing cirmcumstances. This indeed is what happens when people choose to live as though there is no God.
    I am an atheist and a fairly conservative person....

    I believe that there was a creation. And that that creation was by God, and with no starting materials. This is extremely important, because i can now trust the Bible and put my faith and hope in Christ.
    It's also extremely stupid that you do not question your faith using logic and science.
    Last edited by Not-That-Bright; 2 Jan 2006 at 4:42 PM.
    I am a homosexual guys, in case you didnt know. Sorry

  3. #253
    Executive Member sparkl3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    spacejam
    Posts
    1,018
    Rep Power
    11
    i'd suggest for you to use science, instead of books that were written centuries ago, without any evidence.
    R.O.A.R

  4. #254
    Assistant Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Woodcroft
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    9
    "Does't it make more sense for a supposed being beyond comprehension to be represented as a force of some sort?"

    Your argument is paradoxical as you are saying that a being beyond comprehension SHOULD be represented as a force (which is comprehensible by our pathetic little minds).

    Because God's power is beyond belief (as he is able to create this expansive universe), its fair enough to believe that how and why he came about can also be beyond our beliefs and comprehension.
    Last edited by Riqtay; 2 Jan 2006 at 4:45 PM.

  5. #255
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,258
    Rep Power
    15
    I like it how some people seem to firmly believe that meaning comes from religious contructs alone. Oh well, provided that I'm not stoned to death or burned at the stake by a fundamentalist who believes in the abrahamic god, I guess that I can live alongside people who hold such thoughts to be true.

  6. #256
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    in the rain
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkl3z
    i'd suggest for you to use science, instead of books that were written centuries ago, without any evidence.
    Actually, the book was written last year and is entirely based around science, and devotes to exploring science. I suggest you read it instead of judging it straight away

  7. #257
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Riqtay
    "Does't it make more sense for a supposed being beyond comprehension to be represented as a force of some sort?"

    Your argument is paradoxicalas as you are saying that a being beyond comprehension SHOULD be represented as a force (which is comprehensible by our pathetic little minds).

    Because God's power is beyond belief (as he is able to create this expansive universe), its fair enough to believe that how and why he came about can also be beyond our beliefs and comprehension.
    Is it just me or is riqtay trying to sound smart and comming off as really, really dumb?
    I am a homosexual guys, in case you didnt know. Sorry

  8. #258
    Thank God! Cows don't fly last_chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Up in the Clouds.
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-That-Bright
    sparkl3z said...
    Not - that-bright said...

    Yes, lets get rid of all religion.

    B Arts @ University of Western Sydney, 1st year.
    Failure is not falling down, it is not getting up again.


  9. #259
    Executive Member sparkl3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    spacejam
    Posts
    1,018
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by laura_beth
    Actually, the book was written last year and is entirely based around science, and devotes to exploring science. I suggest you read it instead of judging it straight away
    religion and science, sif. religion says that this is going to happen this was going to happen, they are obvious things, i don't need religion to tell me that, anyone with a proper working brain already would know those things.
    R.O.A.R

  10. #260
    Assistant Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Woodcroft
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    9
    Generator, you have given no response or explanation to counter my argument. rather, you have applied dogma associated with your own beliefs.

    Having your beliefs is fine and well, but there needs to be reasoning behind them (which i fail to see).

  11. #261
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,258
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Riqtay
    "Does't it make more sense for a supposed being beyond comprehension to be represented as a force of some sort?"

    Your argument is paradoxicalas as you are saying that a being beyond comprehension SHOULD be represented as a force (which is comprehensible by our pathetic little minds).

    Because God's power is beyond belief (as he is able to create this expansive universe), its fair enough to believe that how and why he came about can also be beyond our beliefs and comprehension.
    Whoever said that the force had to be given attributes of the sort that you grant your god? Doesn't it make more sense to label a supposed god that is beyond our comprehension as being an incomprehensible force rather than as a highly intelligent he? If something is beyond our comprehension, then why must you go beyond such a simple representation?

  12. #262
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    in the rain
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    9
    It's also extremely stupid that you do not question your faith using logic and science.[/QUOTE]


    Funny you say that, as it was THROUGH studying and researching logic and science that i came to believe that the world was created. I was once like you and then i decided to look into different theories and scientific explanations, and this was the most logical i could find. But thanks for your concern in thinking i am "extremely stupid"

  13. #263
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    Generator, you have given no response or explanation to counter my argument. rather, you have applied dogma associated with your own beliefs.

    Having your beliefs is fine and well, but there needs to be reasoning behind them (which i fail to see).
    You speak a bunch of rhetorical babble-shit then expect us to retort it? We can only begin to fathom what the hell you are on about with your constant use of bs prepositions such as "creation requires intelligence"

    Funny you say that, as it was THROUGH studying and researching logic and science that i came to believe that the world was created. I was once like you and then i decided to look into different theories and scientific explanations, and this was the most logical i could find. But thanks for your concern in thinking i am "extremely stupid"
    So after looking at logical arguments you came to the conclusion that the christian god and the bible is truth?
    I am a homosexual guys, in case you didnt know. Sorry

  14. #264
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,258
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Riqtay
    Generator, you have given no response or explanation to counter my argument. rather, you have applied dogma associated with your own beliefs.

    Having your beliefs is fine and well, but there needs to be reasoning behind them (which i fail to see).
    Ah, this may surprise you, but you aren't the only sprouting garbage in this thread.

  15. #265
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    in the rain
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-That-Bright
    Is it just me or is riqtay trying to sound smart and comming off as really, really dumb?
    Well I guess you don't recognise real intelligence when it is right infront of you. That was a pretty lame response to his sensible point.

  16. #266
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    Wait a second, you think it's a sensible idea to conclude (out of nowhere) that a creating force must have intelligence? How many new planets are formed around the universe in a natural way we can explain?
    I am a homosexual guys, in case you didnt know. Sorry

  17. #267
    Executive Member sparkl3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    spacejam
    Posts
    1,018
    Rep Power
    11
    nobody said you're stupid, just saying on the issue of faith and religion, many people are misguided and brainwashed by so called "religious" people who only look to their own outcomes.
    R.O.A.R

  18. #268
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    in the rain
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    9
    So after looking at logical arguments you came to the conclusion that the christian god and the bible is truth?[/QUOTE]


    EXACTLY. Now we're getting somewhere. God having created the world is the most logical means of our existence.

  19. #269
    Thank God! Cows don't fly last_chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Up in the Clouds.
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    10
    Alright lets put religion aside totally. What I'm interested in knowing is if God doesn't exist, where did we all come from? I have a got feeling where this will all go, but I'd like to here it form the horses mouth.

    B Arts @ University of Western Sydney, 1st year.
    Failure is not falling down, it is not getting up again.


  20. #270
    Assistant Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Woodcroft
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    9
    "Is it just me or is riqtay trying to sound smart and comming off as really, really dumb?"

    "AHAHAHAHAHAHA, true that. "paradoxicalas" oh mercy".

    I think that instead of using petty name calling and insults, you guys should try and make an argument agianst my views, rather than the way I write or a spelling mistake which I have made.

    These insults are not conducive to a constructive argument. This is a forum where people exchange their views in a positive manner. Otherwise, this debate becomes a war of 'who can come up with the best calls'.

  21. #271
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    EXACTLY. Now we're getting somewhere. God having created the world is the most logical means of our existence.
    ............. You serious?

    Alright lets put religion aside totally. What I'm interested in knowing is if God doesn't exist, where did we all come from? I have a got feeling where this will all go, but I'd like to here it form the horses mouth.
    See: Big Bang.

    I think that instead of using petty name calling and insults, you guys should try and make an argument agianst my views, rather than the way I write or a spelling mistake which I have made.

    These insults are not conducive to a constructive argument. This is a forum where people exchange their views in a positive manner. Otherwise, this debate becomes a war of 'who can come up with the best calls'.
    I did, I said your preposition that creation requires intelligence is wrong, I also provided an example (see: new planets). Once that preposition is gone your entire argument falls apart, much like your one before it.
    Last edited by Not-That-Bright; 2 Jan 2006 at 5:00 PM.
    I am a homosexual guys, in case you didnt know. Sorry

  22. #272
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,258
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Riqtay
    These insults are not conducive to a constructive argument. This is a forum where people exchange their views in a positive manner. Otherwise, this debate becomes a war of 'who can come up with the best calls'.
    A war that you would lose, my synaptically-challenged friend.

  23. #273
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    in the rain
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkl3z
    nobody said you're stupid, just saying on the issue of faith and religion, many people are misguided and brainwashed by so called "religious" people who only look to their own outcomes.
    So many people think that Christians "brainwash" other innocent humans. That is not true, especially as our beliefs are that WE cannot convert people, forgiveness is between that person and God, as is their believing in Him

  24. #274
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,258
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-That-Bright
    Quote Originally Posted by last_chance
    Alright lets put religion aside totally. What I'm interested in knowing is if God doesn't exist, where did we all come from? I have a got feeling where this will all go, but I'd like to here it form the horses mouth.

    See: Big Bang.

    I think that it's a bit too much for some to think that perhaps life (in all its forms) just developed on its own following the big bang.

  25. #275
    Premium Member withoutaface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,112
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by laura_beth
    So many people think that Christians "brainwash" other innocent humans. That is not true, especially as our beliefs are that WE cannot convert people, forgiveness is between that person and God, as is their believing in Him
    Christians indoctrinate children whose minds are like putty, and it's very hard for them to snap out of it.
    siganture removed due to excessive size

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •