Poll: do you believe in god?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 722 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 18034
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Does God exist?

  1. #51
    A Restless Member veterandoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
    Posts
    1,243
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljarvis
    Can i hear the muslim theory of evolution.. (dont say better.. shows bias)
    i dont know much about it, but if an atheist/agonistic placed in their post that the theory we developed was better than darwin's, im slightly inclined to believe the source they got it from. ill try looking for it, but not tonight cos im going to get some shut eye.

    but basically it agrees with almost all darwin said, except for the part involving humans.

    and if the earth is thought to have joined landmasses countless times, maybe the flood happened at this time? i dont know much about the geographical side of it, only the story.
    the best online RPG on the block

    So I got home, and the phone was ringing. I picked it up, and said 'Who's
    speaking please?' And a voice said 'You are.'

    [s]B Computing (Business Information Systems) (E-Business)-UWS parra (1st year)[/s]

    Software Engineering @ UNSW -First Year

    why race? Because football & soccer only require ONE ball

  2. #52
    StudyforEver SashatheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    5,665
    Rep Power
    13
    icecream.
    Last edited by SashatheMan; 20 Aug 2009 at 4:58 PM.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    509
    Rep Power
    9
    lol. dude no use gettin worked up. just read the quote ur sig "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." I think that says it all.

  4. #54
    Executive Member sparkl3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    spacejam
    Posts
    1,018
    Rep Power
    11
    god.....who the fuck knows? all i believe in is when you die, you die......you're dead....no afterlife, no heaven or hell, you're just DEAD. according to me....that's all folks.
    R.O.A.R

  5. #55
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    Has anyone seen that show where they showed how the plagues of egypt could have been real? Like showing the connections of how everything could have feasibly worked together?

  6. #56
    StudyforEver SashatheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    5,665
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-That-Bright
    Has anyone seen that show where they showed how the plagues of egypt could have been real? Like showing the connections of how everything could have feasibly worked together?
    are yuo tlaking about the movie "Mummy" with Brendan Fraser?

    nah jk.

    tell me how they explained it, or pm me a link to the docu

  7. #57
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    It was on tv ages ago... it was scientific, but not used to prove the existance of god...
    They just wanted to show how the plague event was feasible, by putting in connections i.e. every year the nile floods.... bugs come... start killing children.... etc etc

    They connected everything, so personally I believe it's partially a true story.

  8. #58
    Member studynoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    9
    god doesn't exist! end of story!

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    509
    Rep Power
    9
    how can u be so cynical. There is proof in a book that was written over centuries by various authors. Plus I have faith coz my parents forced me to go to church and didnt allow me to think for myself.

    p.s. I wonder if religious people have heard of Chinese Whispers?

  10. #60
    Member studynoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by otay
    how can u be so cynical. There is proof in a book that was written over centuries by various authors. Plus I have faith coz my parents forced me to go to church and didnt allow me to think for myself.

    p.s. I wonder if religious people have heard of Chinese Whispers?
    what kind of sick people believe in something that never existed!

  11. #61
    New Member aerynlikewhoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    biggest inland hole in NSW
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    9
    If God exists or not, there are going to be as many people who believe in him as there are who don't. You can't ever argue something with that much faith, that much power, because you're arguing against the biggest wall in human history. Personally, I prefer faith in oneself over something in a book. trying to understand and argue against religion is this smily face trying to do the same to me or you.

    But meh. Other people have their beliefs and we should accept it. Arguing isn't going to change that. But pondering, I suppose, might change one persons veiw. So go ahead.
    *dances*
    I'm not weird, I'm postmodern.

  12. #62
    has a large Member; Dumsum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Maroubra South
    Posts
    1,555
    Rep Power
    11
    Christians can't prove to athiests the existance of God, because they are closed to the idea, and no matter what evidence is presented to them they will dismiss it. Agnostics are easier to work with, and agnosticism is a much more logical "belief" system than athiesm, as it is potentially the most unbiased.

    Basically, while ever you're closed to the idea of God, you won't ever believe that he exists.

    And no matter how much you say it, the onus is not on us to prove that God exists. We are called to spread the "Good News" (although that sounds terribly cheesy I admit), we can't make other peoples' choices for them.
    Last edited by Dumsum; 15 Dec 2005 at 9:31 AM.
    Simon. 22/M
    The University of New South Wales: I'm there. Are you?

    ~ 5th year Advanced Mathematics (Pure) / Arts (Philosophy + Linguistics) @ UNSW ~
    ~ Diploma in Innovation Management @ UNSW ~

    "In order not to believe in evolution you must either be ignorant, stupid or insane"
    Professor Richard Dawkins

  13. #63
    Retired MoonlightSonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumsum
    And no matter how much you say it, the onus is not on us to prove that God exists.
    Yes, it is - in terms of this argument. Just as the onus of my proving that I was abducted by aliens last night is on me. We do not assume that it is true until you prove it false.

    See shifting the burden of proof in the argument guide.

  14. #64
    has a large Member; Dumsum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Maroubra South
    Posts
    1,555
    Rep Power
    11
    What shall we say then? Even if someone came up with "undeniable" scientific "proof" that the christian God exists, are you 100% certain that you would then believe it? Assuming yes, would you then go ahead and live the way Jesus prescribed we should? Belief in God doesn't get you anywhere.

    The argument of existance is futile.

    29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

    It's not explicitly stated here but from other sections (I could find them if you like) I believe God "predestines" everyone, but the chain of calling, justifying etc stops if you don't hear the call. This is just my experience, but opening myself up to the possibility (not reality) of A God, but believing that I couldn't know for sure (agnosticism) was my first step. Because of this decision my life went down a different path and I eventually heard the abovementioned call.

    So the argument is futile because as I said in my original post, while ever you're closed to the idea (which it seems you are) you won't ever believe it, and in my opinion, not even if it was proven scientifically, because you realise science can be wrong too.

    So why do I keep participating in the argument? I guess it's just an interest thing. I enjoy learning about why people believe (or disbelieve) what they do (or don't).
    Last edited by Dumsum; 15 Dec 2005 at 11:06 AM.
    Simon. 22/M
    The University of New South Wales: I'm there. Are you?

    ~ 5th year Advanced Mathematics (Pure) / Arts (Philosophy + Linguistics) @ UNSW ~
    ~ Diploma in Innovation Management @ UNSW ~

    "In order not to believe in evolution you must either be ignorant, stupid or insane"
    Professor Richard Dawkins

  15. #65
    Retired MoonlightSonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumsum
    What shall we say then? Even if someone came up with "undeniable" scientific "proof" that the christian God exists, are you 100% certain that you would then believe it?
    Of course I would, if it could be proven to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumsum
    Assuming yes, would you then go ahead and live the way Jesus prescribed we should?
    Well no, because the existence of a deity does not in anyway illustrate the truth of what is written in the Bible, other than a deity exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumsum
    Belief in God doesn't get you anywhere.

    The argument of existance is futile.
    Hence why I find it funny that people assert so confidently that some deity exists, and then further claim to know all about its character and desires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumsum
    29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

    It's not explicitly stated here but from other sections (I could find them if you like) I believe God "predestines" everyone, but the chain of calling, justifying etc stops if you don't hear the call. This is just my experience, but opening myself up to the possibility (not reality) of A God, but believing that I couldn't know for sure (agnosticism) was my first step. Because of this decision my life went down a different path and I eventually heard the abovementioned call.
    I am not closed to the possibility of God. I think it is quite unlikely though, and since we have no evidence of one it makes little sense to live one's life in accordance with religious texts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumsum
    So the argument is futile because as I said in my original post, while ever you're closed to the idea (which it seems you are)
    I have repeatedly said that I am agnostic. I am not closed to the idea, but the default position is not that "god exists". The onus is on theists to show god actually exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumsum
    ...you won't ever believe it, and in my opinion, not even if it was proven scientifically, because you realise science can be wrong too.
    No, but science doesn't necessarily hold things to be absolutely true. It says that, based on all our observations of the world and all our knowledge, this is the best conclusion we can come to, so we should live according to this being the truth unless it can be shown otherwise.

    There are certain beliefs we take as true because it is the best conclusion we can draw from the world. There is always the possibility that the sun might not come up tomorrow. But it has risen every day since the dawn of man -- it would be safe to assume it will come up tomorrow. Inductive reasoning assists us in these matters.

  16. #66
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    The people of the modern religions are no different to the aztecs or the ancient greeks or the ancient egyptians... all these people were CERTAIN that their god(s) existed, I just think it must be a hard thing to grapple with.

    edit: I just watched a penn & teller eppisode about the patriot act... their biggest thing was 'They Didn't even READ it!', clearly ignoring that no-one goes through the trouble of reading an entire bill
    Last edited by Not-That-Bright; 15 Dec 2005 at 11:47 AM.

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    at the maths debate
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    9
    i stopped believing in god around the same time i figured the truth about santa claus and eskimos.
    coincidence much?

  18. #68
    Abhishek's Rani.. rnitya_25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,579
    Rep Power
    11
    they have nothing to do with each other, what are you on about?

    the question of whether or not god exists depends upon the perception of what and who god is by each individual. i believe in god, i truly do, but just because someone doesn't believe in god, doesn's mean they're going to go to hell. each religion is different, some religions such as hinduism don't believe in hell, hindus believe in reincarnation, whereas other religions such as christianity believe in satan. its not wrong, they're just different perceptions. if you had faith in god, you'd believe that he is there and he exists. but those who don't believe in god or don;t care aren't damned for eternity, because believing in god should be a moral and ethical choice, not a compulsory belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_gtr
    Rnitya is like the the sweetest cookie ever, kinda like those macadamia cookies from subway; it crumbles in your mouth and its so sweet you could swear its doused in sugar, but its guaranteed to be 100% natural and wholesome goodness.
    -Be the change you want to see. -Mahatma Gandhi
    -Don't worry about your difficulties in Maths, I can assure you, mine are still greater.-Albert Einstein.
    -Whatever you do, do it from the heart- Abhishek Bachchan

  19. #69
    Andrew Quah
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    12,200
    Rep Power
    19
    What the hell was all that crap you just said rnitya?
    There is an objective truth, are you willing to conceed that? There either is a diety(s) or there isn't. Thus one group of people are wrong, and the other are right.

    Your 'they're just different perceptions' argument is all great and all, but it leads everyone to nowhere fast in an objective reality.

  20. #70
    Premium Member withoutaface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,112
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljarvis
    i stopped believing in god around the same time i figured the truth about santa claus and eskimos.
    coincidence much?
    Don't talk shit about Santa, or I'll tell mummy
    siganture removed due to excessive size

  21. #71
    King of Bullshit
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    around about here - still
    Posts
    1,106
    Rep Power
    11
    Just for thought:

    How does one prove a miracle?

    If God created the world and in doing so he began at the basics and constructed it through DNA etc, and science has found out that humans are indeed are made of DNA, how could it be proved that God created it?

    Or rather, if God is all powerful and He did create the world, would he have left behind any traces of His work?

    I.e. How would science find the fingerprints of God?

    E.g. If you constructed an intelligent robot and a synthetic world and when you activated the robot it was not aware of you doing so and all it knew was the habitat you had built for it, then how could it find traces of you? Wouldn't everything it come across be natural to it? How could it possibly conceive of a creature that it so different, even in it's makeup (organic as compared to artificial).

    Conversly, if there were a community of robots, and if you revealed to one, indirectly, that you existed and created all it knows, how could it convince another robot of this? How could it prove it?


    Not exactly the most in depth hypothetical but if you think about and try to keep in mind all the ratios that would seperate us from God, if indeed He exists, such as how he has a power beyond what we can imagine. So the maker of the robot would need to have the same degree of abilities and power over the robots.
    Don't take life too serious. You'll never escape it alive anyway

    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

  22. #72
    Retired MoonlightSonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    14
    Well, you can't prove it - that's the point.

    Just as I cannot prove that I am alien. Hence you won't go around believing that I am one.

  23. #73
    Child of the Most High
    Join Date
    May 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    10
    What if you were an alien, and you knew that the other aliens were coming back to take you, and all those who believed you, "home" one day. If you knew that people would never be able to go where you are going unless you told them how to get there... Would you not tell everybody whether they believed you or not?

    I cannot tell you that God exists, but I know that he does and that he is coming back. Hence it is my perogative to tell everyone I can about him in order to prepare the way. The news Jesus came to tell you is that you are NOT good enough by yourself! It is impossible for you to be as righteous as God... but God has made a way possible for you to be saved.

    It is not in my job to make you believe because I cant do that, but it is in mine to tell you what I know and for that to be the catalyst for the Holy Spirit to prompt your response.


    Everything i have said has not been to make you believe that your belief is wrong, because nothing I can say can change it. BUT i have said what i can because if I, and other christians, do nothing... we will have denied you the opportunity to know God.

    I'm happy to explain what I can... but i can can only tell you that God has revealed himself to me and that my desire is to tell everyone who will hear me that the kingdom of God is at hand.
    I'm a quarter of a Civil Engineer... Ha.

  24. #74
    StudyforEver SashatheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    5,665
    Rep Power
    13
    ah
    Last edited by SashatheMan; 20 Aug 2009 at 4:57 PM.

  25. #75
    Premium Member withoutaface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,112
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilmo
    God has revealed himself to me
    Lay off the weed.
    siganture removed due to excessive size

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •