Australia and New Zealand 'should become one' (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
According to a Federal Government committee, Australia and New Zealand are so alike that they should merge to form one country.

Link.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
While it might seem like it makes sense for a union, I don't think many kiwis will be for that idea.

Any plausible union would mean the rewriting of the Australian constitution. I'd assume a union between the countries would technically mean NZ becoming a state of Australia. I don't think the NZ parliament (or the people) would be up for merging with a country whose commonwealth government is eroding the powers of the states. Rewriting the powers of the commonwealth to give a completely exhaustive list that won't erode all the powers of NZ, will perhaps ease some fears on the NZ side (and on the side of current Australian states).

But yeah, I sincerely doubt the idea would fare well with kiwis.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
hey screw you alright, screw you for even mentioning the idea. when and why do we want to be associated with sheep shaggers and woolly lovers?

i'd be dead before i let it happen

K

katie_tully

You seem to forget that Australia has even more sheep than New Zealand?

They tried this back during federation. It nearly happened except the logistics of travelling to and fro from each country was a problem at the turn of the century.
I don't see why this needs to happen, I can't see one plausible argument as to why we need to merge.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
katie_tully said:
You seem to forget that Australia has even more sheep than New Zealand?

They tried this back during federation. It nearly happened except the logistics of travelling to and fro from each country was a problem at the turn of the century.
I don't see why this needs to happen, I can't see one plausible argument as to why we need to merge.
The committee could, otherwise they wouldn't have proposed the idea (instead of simply harmonising laws between the two countries).

T

Testpilot

I am against NZ becoming an Australian state. However there would be benefits to forming a bond like that of the European Union. There would probably have to be a referendum in both countries, with a positive result. I don't see this happening.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
The two countries are too far apart- at least 2000 kms apart.
I'm against seeing a merger.. well what for?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
When contrasting the idea of harmonising the laws and currency of the two countries to that of a merger, I can't really see a huge benefit for NZ in this. The lion's share of the benefits already exist in the harmonising package, all the merger would grant is the awarding of authority to a mostly australian government over the additional NZ state.

volition

arr.
HSC
New Zealand play in our national leagues (like the A League) and stuff, so we're already pretty closely linked.

I wonder what a merger would see happen to the dollar? (presumably we'd all start using the same currency)

Australia pwns NZ, not that I really care whether or not we merge.

BlackDragon

HSC
i liked the idea at first. but i don't anymore. i mean, its a logistical nightmare. what happens to their government, do they just become the 8th state?, what about our sporting teams?, what about the uniqueness of our countries?, what about our cultures? what about our great rivalry?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Wuddie - grow up buddy.

Sparcod said:
I didn't know that Alaska and Hawaii are countries.
I think he was refuting your implied assertion that the two countries were too far apart to make a good merger by using the American states Alaska and Hawaii (as being relatively distant to the rest of the states) as a counter.

As for my opinion: I don't hold any critical grudges against the idea, nor do I see a dire need for it. But like already mentioned, if such a merger was to proceed, chances are New Zealand would become just an Australian state. Fat chance the Kiwi government and population would relinquish such sovereignty to become an Aussie state.. lol.

L

littlewing69

CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
Australia should become a republic :)
QFT.

On topic:

There's nothing to be gained through merger or Anschluss ;), but some sharing of vital, shared infrastructure and authority could be very useful on things like naval and aeronautical military goodies, immigration, Foreign Affairs etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)