AFP wrong about Haneef (1 Viewer)

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22109351-5001028,00.html

THE Australian Federal Police have admitted that crucial evidence against Gold Coast doctor Mohamed Haneef - that his mobile phone SIM card was found at the scene of a British car bombing - is wrong.It had not been confirmed the SIM card was found at the scene of the Glasgow Airport attack, as prosecutors alleged during the terror suspect's bail hearing last weekend, federal police sources have told Fairfax newspapers.

The revelation has cast fresh doubts over police handling of the Haneef case.

Criticism has come from Peter Faris QC, who has backed the government's new anti-terror laws, and Queensland Premier Peter Beattie, who has expressed concern.

The SIM card, the smart card in mobile phones, was found in the possession of one of Dr Haneef's cousins, Sabeel Ahmed, in Liverpool, hundreds of kilometres away from the failed Glasgow bombing.

No official attempt has been made to correct the public record, despite police sources telling Fairfax they had been aware of the error for some time.

Asked why Dr Haneef would have provided his SIM card if he knew it was to be used for the purposes of terrorism, prosecutor Clive Porritt, from the Office of the commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), told the court it had been intended that the SIM card would be destroyed in the planned explosion when the Jeep was rammed into the Glasgow airport doors.

A spokeswoman for the DPP said: "It is not appropriate for us to comment on matters before the court."
In before apologists.

banco55

HSC
They are unbelievably incompetent and have done themselves and Australia's national security a great deal of harm. They should seriously start firing people.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
He won't get the chance to sue. As soon as the trial is over, he's outta here. Then we will have great relations with India, accusing one of their own of being a terrorist then booting him out because we were wrong and just wanted to save face.

banco55

HSC
Snaykew said:
He won't get the chance to sue. As soon as the trial is over, he's outta here. Then we will have great relations with India, accusing one of their own of being a terrorist then booting him out because we were wrong and just wanted to save face.

He doesn't have to be on australian soil to sue.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
You have to show up to court IIRC.

As for the ICJ, Australia can just choose not to appear.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
Actually, I'm not sure now. Anyone remember the woman we deported to the Philippines? Was she in Australia when she sued the government?

banco55

HSC
Snaykew said:
Actually, I'm not sure now. Anyone remember the woman we deported to the Philippines? Was she in Australia when she sued the government?
Yeah she was. You can sue without making a personal appearance. Although in some cases it could harm your case.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Snaykew said:
This will hardly affect relations between the two countries, Indian Police are just as excited as AFP to prove that he is linked to terrorism, especially after accusation by Asian Age that he was linked to SIMI (Student Islamic Movement of India) a student terrorist organisation now banned in India.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
I thought the Indian Foreign Ministry wasn't too fond of the events? :/

Also, could you give a link or something. I'd like to read about it.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
Suspected links is the keywords here. Haneef was suspected of providing a sim card that was used in the Glasgow attack. Turned out to be false. Also, the amount of results I got wasn't a lot. Just repeatedly "Haneef denies links to SIMI". Nothing to say he is linked. :/

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Indian Police are interested in SIMI not SIM card. That is why I said it will not affect relations between the two countries who are on the same footing.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Which means India does not care that much about him. They'll probably be happier if he is found guilty.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
If India wanted him to be found guilty they'd help the AFP right off the bat instead of waiting. :/

shnu-shnu

HSC
the AFP are tools. the whole things about politics, coz johnnie howards declining in the polls and wants to show how macho he is in combatting the terrorist prob. so he jus picks any old muslim that might have a relative who did something wrong and deem them a terrorist. now theyve been caught out and hope it comes back to bite them in the bottoms!

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
kazan said:
if this guy turns out to be innocent

he should sue everyone
for a fuckload of money
newspapers, government, fed police.
I was under the impression that regardless of time spent and personal cost, Mr. Haneef would not be compensated due to terrorist laws being acceptable under the Howard Govt. If there was breach of human rights while he was detained then that would most likely be another story. Newspaper pictures highlight his psychological state of mind to be on the rocks, but of course this is questionable. I highly doubt he'd be able to sue for anything.

wasupdog

HSC
ive been a great supporter o the howard govt, after this bullshit, and the stupid reason of entering the iraq war for "oil", i no who ill be voting this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)