The floodgates have opened - Aboriginal compensation (1 Viewer)

xXeMoxXxCoRexX

you can't be half as emo
on a grassy knoll, overlooking the dregs of the lu
HSC
Stolen Aboriginal man wins payout
An Aboriginal man taken from his family as a baby has been awarded compensation in a landmark case in Australia.

Bruce Trevorrow is the first member of Australia's "stolen generation" of Aboriginal people to win compensation.

A court found Mr Trevorrow was falsely imprisoned and treated unlawfully when he was taken from his family in 1958.

Thousands of Aboriginal children were handed over to white families under Australian government assimilation policies from 1915 to 1969.

In a 300-page judgement that took 18 months to deliver, Justice Thomas Gray of the Supreme Court of South Australia awarded Mr Trevorrow $A525,000 (£220,000, $447,000).
The native will obviously have plenty of cash to fuel his booze and petrol habits now, courtesy of taxpayers (no different from usual, then).

Expect more Aboriginal claims: Burnside
The lawyer for the first member of the stolen generation to be awarded compensation by a court says it is time for all states to set up voluntary compensation plans.

The South Australian government was ordered to pay Aboriginal man Bruce Trevorrow $525,000 for injuries, losses and false imprisonment.
Trevorrow's lawyer and prominent civil libertarian, Julian Burnside QC said the case illustrated beyond a doubt how much damage was done to the stolen generation.

"It's now time for them (the states) to set out a compensation plan that will deal with that," he told ABC Radio.

"It's much more sensible to do it in a way that is consensual, than to do it by litigation."

Aboriginal Social Justice Commissioner Tom Calma said it was an important judgment.

"It does show that people were stolen, were taken away from their families, and have suffered immensely over the years," he told the ABC.

"And this is the first time the courts have recognised that in a meaningful way."
No one is safe!

Screwball116

HSC
Let's just label all Muslims "terrorists" and all Americans as "arrogant" and all New Zealanders as "sheep fuckers" while we're at it.
Generalising is never a good argument. Not all Aborigines are alcoholics and sniff petrol.
Just don't go there.
If English settlers hadn't been so ignorant in the first place there would be no need for compensations to be handed out now, would there?
Let's just all blame the government for this!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Screwball116 said:
If English settlers hadn't been so ignorant in the first place there would be no need for compensations to be handed out now, would there?
Let's just all blame the government for this!
um aboriginals hadnt even invented the wheel for themselves i think its safe to say someone was going to come along and usurp the land from them at some point in history

and the majority probably are too lazy to find work for themselves and drink all day. if the government gave me free money i'd do the exact same too - well maybe not drink as much and sniff petrol

Screwball116

HSC
jb_nc said:
um aboriginals hadnt even invented the wheel for themselves i think its safe to say someone was going to come along and usurp the land from them at some point in history

and the majority probably are too lazy to find work for themselves and drink all day. if the government gave me free money i'd do the exact same too - well maybe not drink as much and sniff petrol
They had a system of society that was not recognised. Just because they didn't have computers doesn't mean they were incapable of functioning. The loss of their land and culture is due to European ignorance as I said, and I am not saying that Australia would never have been discovered, I am saying perhaps they could've been treated a little better. I mean was stealing children from family's on the basis of that they appeared incapable of raising them because their culture was not understood properly really neccessary?

(A nice spin on things was a short film I recently watched called "Babakiueria" (Barbeque area). A satire of European society by Aboriginals. If you can find it I suggest watching it, so funny but true. Might have trouble tracking it down however.)

Also no, not all Aboriginals take the government compensation handed out to them. I know a few who are hard working citizens and who are making the best of their new place in the world.

ALternatively I think those that are bludging off the system should stop acting like they are so hard done by because they have "lost their culture". Would they be sitting around doing jack shit if they were still living as they were prior 200 years ago? I think not.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
The Gov't should deduct they pay from the judges to pay compensation to him.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Maybe we should've made treaties with the Aborigines and then we wouldn't have this problem.

flappinghippo

HSC
I'm so glad I don't have to sing Abbo songs anymore. Seriously, all that education in primary school just made me resent everything Aboriginal. I mean, why am I sorry for something I didn't have anything to do with? Am I meant to feel guilty?

But now I'm going to have to pay for something my parents weren't even here for? Oh great

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
flappinghippo said:
I'm so glad I don't have to sing Abbo songs anymore. Seriously, all that education in primary school just made me resent everything Aboriginal. I mean, why am I sorry for something I didn't have anything to do with? Am I meant to feel guilty?

But now I'm going to have to pay for something my parents weren't even here for? Oh great
What aboriginal songs in primary school?

:/

T

Team A1

The floodgates are open now alright.
Whats next? Next time you adopt a puppy or some other animal from the pound to save its life from being destroyed or letting natural selection get to it (i.e. survival of the fittest) be prepared to get your ass sued. A horrible day in history. Animal rights have gone too far...I doubt even voiceless would support the stretching of 'justice' to such situations.

Justin

HSC
PrinceHarry said:
it's not the Politician and CEO who ordered this payment.
So everytime a judge orders a payout, they should pay for it themselves?
Schroedinger said:
Yeah so when they take our techniques and devices for storytelling it's 'sharing culture' but when we take their land we're evil oppressors.
Hmm.. techniques and devices, which we never actually have physical possesion of.. or land. Chuck them both on the scales, you dip shit.
flappinghippo said:

Would you like to go and live in the 19th century?
Team A1 said:
The floodgates are open now alright.

Whats next? Next time you adopt a puppy or some other animal from the pound to save its life from being destroyed or letting natural selection get to it (i.e. survival of the fittest) be prepared to get your ass sued. A horrible day in history. Animal rights have gone too far...I doubt even voiceless would support the stretching of 'justice' to such situations.
What's next? Next time you <menial task> or <righteous deed> be prepared to be <punished>. Today is <bad>, what a travesty has occured. :rolleyes: . You'll be sued. Your ARSE will be sued. I know <poor innoncent victims> will continue to be kicked while they are down. Let's make fun of the supposed <justice system> which is filled with <political correctness> and which is destroying my insecure arse. Oh no, it's the end of society as we know it.

Gahhh.

Take your putrid, depressed, economically frustrated American logic and shove it up your arse, because your logic doesn't actually fool anybody here. Everybody on this board has enough education to realise that what you said "doesn't flow", even you. So shut up, because what you're trying to say CLEARLY doesn't work.

Last edited:

flappinghippo

HSC
Justin said:
What's next? Next time you <menial task> or <righteous deed> be prepared to be <punished>. Today is <bad>, what a travesty has occured. . You'll be sued. Your ARSE will be sued. I know <poor innoncent victims> will continue to be kicked while they are down. Let's make fun of the supposed <justice system> which is filled with <political correctness> and which is destroying my insecure arse. Oh no, it's the end of society as we know it.

Gahhh.

Take your putrid, depressed, economically frustrated American logic and shove it up your arse, because your logic doesn't actually fool anybody here. Everybody on this board has enough education to realise that what you said "doesn't flow", even you. So shut up, because what you're trying to say CLEARLY doesn't work.
What the fuck are you saying? You don't make any sense.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Justin said:
So everytime a judge orders a payout, they should pay for it themselves?
yes, on all abroginal compensation issue.

Americans are actually wise enough to tell negroes and red indians to shut the fuck up when it comes to compensation. Wise move should I say ;) why should they/we pay for things they/we have not done!

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Read some of jn_bc's posts and come back when you've learned how to be a racist troll that is actually funny. :)
Yeah im a racist because I'm opposed to compensation. Boo fucking hoo.

Justin

HSC
PrinceHarry said:
yes, on all abroginal compensation issue.
And yet the court was able to find damages in his favour. Yet no damage actually exists though.

PrinceHarry said:
Americans are actually wise enough to tell negroes and red indians to shut the fuck up when it comes to compensation. Wise move should I say ;) why should they/we pay for things they/we have not done!
Wise enough? You can go live there if you want.

Last edited:

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Justin said:
And yet the court was able to find damages in his favour. Yet no damage actually exists though.
Therefore judges should pay compensation out of their pocket for a damage that does not exist.

Wise enough? You can go live there if you want.
You cant live there even if you want to.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Justin why are u wasting time on this guy? He is clearly a troll.
A really really bad one too :)

Justin

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Justin why are u wasting time on this guy? He is clearly a troll.
Trolls say malicious things to disrupt the flow of a given forum. Eg. Logging onto a V Tech forum and teasing people about having dead friends for example. He isn't a troll, he's a shit faced cock master.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
*incite

He is a troll, but that doesnt mean there arent people out there with that type of view point. Its good to have this kind of debate because it means we can lay out the arguments for and against and show those people who illogical and heartless they really are.

This issue first came up for me in about year 8. The arguement against saying sorry was it would open the floodgates for litigation and one girl stood up and said " so what! maybe the government should pay up, they did something wrong and those who were hurt should be compensated"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)