Let's call God 'Allah', says Catholic bishop (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
A DUTCH Catholic bishop who advocates condom use and says the poor are entitled to steal bread has created another controversy, this time by suggesting God should be called Allah.

"Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will call God Allah?'' Bishop Tiny Muskens said in an interview broadcast this week.

"God doesn't care what we call him.''

Bishiop Muskens, of the southern Diocese of Breda, previously created a stir by suggesting the hungry could steal bread to feed themselves.

He also supported the use of condoms as a way of reining in the spread of AIDS and suggested popes have term limits of 10-15 years and an age limit of 85.

In an interview on the current affairs show Netwerk on Monday, Bishop Muskens said he had worked in Indonesia where God was referred to as Allah in Christian services.

A spokesman for one of the capital's leading mosques said he was not happy with the idea.

"We didn't ask for this, a spokesman for the Moroccan Mosque in Amsterdam told De Telegraaf.

"Now it is as if we have a problem between Muslims and Christians.''

Gerrit de Fijter, chairman of the General Synod of the Dutch Protestant Church, also rejected Bishop Muskens' suggestion.

"I applaud every attempt to encourage dialogue with Muslims, but I doubt the sense of this maneuver,'' he told De Telegraaf.

Speaking overnight, Bishop Muskens said he was pleased his comments had sparked debate.

"That they are interested in how to get along with God, that is a positive result,'' he told Omroep Brabant.

YAH 4 ALLAH

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22254040-13762,00.html

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Denied by Christians. The pope should have him burned at the stake. Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the pope did actually order that. :p

Mumma

HSC
Arab Christians also call God Allah.
Some people call him the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Who cares.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
LOLLLLL "Allah" just means "god" but in Arabic............... Same meaning....... What would be the difference? Allah sounds better?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
arab christians? is there such thing? i thought that was a "crime" punishable by death.

bishop says lets call god allah? well serius says lets not. Whats wrong with god? its a word thats deeply embedded in our language where as allah is not [and infact that particular word has recently received a negative connotation]

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
arab christians? is there such thing? i thought that was a "crime" punishable by death.
Yeh, they were killed by crusaders in the medieval era. =(

jimmayyy

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Why don't we call 'Allah' God instead? You know the proper way about it, the teutonic way rather than that infidelic third world tongue called arabic.

The western world is quite clearly superior, why aren't we thusly granted dominion over the divine? Despicable savages.
qft

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Mumma said:
Arab Christians also call God Allah
Wrong. From memory i think they call God "Rebenna"...i think.

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
Wrong. From memory i think they call God "Rebenna"...i think.
No. Many arab Christians that i know, call god Allah. Its nothing got to do with muslim/christian, its just a word, a translation for crying out loud.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Ah, how boring life seems these days. Do we REALLY need a whole thread to understand that the translation of God in Arabic is Allah...??? :)

... and we wonder why the HSC stresses us... hehe :)

jessal

HSC
MaNiElla said:
No. Many arab Christians that i know, call god Allah. Its nothing got to do with muslim/christian, its just a word, a translation for crying out loud.
this is very true.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Serius said:
Now you look like an idiot for responding seriously to a tongue in cheek comment.

My sarcasm-radar needs some polishing.

My apologies for this awkwardness.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
yea, not a very smart move by the bishop. this is the kind of thing you think to yourself but you should know only too well not to say outloud because eggs might be thrown at you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)