George Bush "APEC? OPEC? Thanks Austria" (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
US President George W. Bush today thanked "Austrian" Prime Minister John Howard, in front of a summit of business leaders, for being a kind OPEC host.

OPEC is the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries. Mr Bush is going to its summit next year.

Mr Bush, who flew halfway around the world to be in Australia, not Austria, for the APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) summit of world leaders, took to the stage at the Sydney Opera House.

He thanked Mr Howard for his introduction and for being such a "kind host" for the OPEC summit.

"I mean APEC summit," he said.

"I've been invited to the OPEC summit next year. The APEC summit."

The faux pas brought laughter from his audience.

As if that was not enough though, Mr Bush also botched the host country's name, referring to Mr Howard's visit to Iraq in 2006 as a thank you to "the Austrian troops there".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22378059-29277,00.html

:eek:

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
And:

He said that he wanted to visit the birth place of Arnie while he's over here. He spelt Sydney "Sidney". He said "where the 'apra house' is. And that he would be delighted to visit John Howard at 'Kirridilli House'.

Joke of the year....

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Then there was the famous incident at the G8 summit in St Petersburg in 2006 when Mr Bush, unaware he was on camera, greeted British Prime Minister Tony Blair with the words "Yo Blair".

Made me lol.

sXcGuRl69aU

I'M BREAKING LOLZ
HSC
tommykins said:
Then there was the famous incident at the G8 summit in St Petersburg in 2006 when Mr Bush, unaware he was on camera, greeted British Prime Minister Tony Blair with the words "Yo Blair"
ahahahahahaha

Captain Gh3y said:
To be fair he made a fool of several lefty journalists who tried to provoke him :D

codydhu

AdherentFollower
HSC
He always stuffs up his speeches. The late show always has that "great moments in presidential speeches" or something like that, and they never seem to run out of stuff-ups from him.
Seemingly none of our politicians are that bad.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Born2baplacebo said:
And:

He said that he wanted to visit the birth place of Arnie while he's over here. He spelt Sydney "Sidney". He said "where the 'apra house' is. And that he would be delighted to visit John Howard at 'Kirridilli House'.

Joke of the year....
You mean whoever wrote on the White House website spelt it Urpra House and Sidney.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Could you link me to that I've been told that so many times and I want to see it damn fast.
Q Mark Riley (phonetic) for Seven Network Australia.

Mr. President, welcome to Sydney.

PRESIDENT BUSH: Thank you, sir.

Q I can assure you it doesn’t always look like this, with steel fences and concrete barricades and armed guards on the street. But I wonder, is the—

PRESIDENT BUSH: I hope you feel safe.

Q I feel—

PRESIDENT BUSH: You feel inconvenienced, obviously.

Let me just say, before you get—you’re trying to maybe get a response. But to the extent I’ve caused this, I apologize. Look, I don’t want to come to a community and say, you know, what a pain it is to have the American President. Unfortunately, however, this is what the authorities thought was necessary to protect people. And you live in a free society. People feel like they want to protest; fine, they can. And unfortunately, evidently, some people may want to try to be violent in their protests. But I apologize to the Australian people if I’ve caused this inconvenience.

Q Well, I wasn’t going to blame you personally, sir. But anyway—

PRESIDENT BUSH: I guess I must be feeling guilty, you know what I’m saying? (Laughter.)

Q The point I was going to make is, as leader of the free world, the people of Sydney don’t see their city looking all that free at the moment. And how’s that going? We thought that we weren’t going to allow terrorists to do this to our free society. And so your very positive view on Iraq and progress towards reconciliation there is of interest to us if you’re meeting the opposition leader tomorrow, and his view is that there should be a staged withdrawal of troops from Iraq next year. How would that affect the positive view you put today? And what will you say to disavow him of that decision?

PRESIDENT BUSH: First of all, in terms of whether Sydney is going to return to normal after I leave, or after we leave, I suspect it might, don’t you?

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
I love the way he handled those questions. he may not be the most eloquent speaker but we always got straight forward answer from him and that is all we need to know.

No doubt he is the best president ever!

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I missed the part where journalists from Channel 7 are considered left wing...

Edit: "Journalists" from Channel 7.

lexie85

HSC
george bush makes john howard look soooooooooooooo excellently smart and well-spoken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)