Real representative democracy (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Do you think you'd support a real representative, popularist democracy in Australia? I honestly don't know if I can (despite all my pro-democracy rhetoric) say I support such a thing. IMHO it would mean a return to the white Australia policy, it would possibly mean deportation of muslims from Australia, it would also possibly mean weird/whacky industrial relations policies which favour the workers to such an extent our economy becomes shitfaced.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Will real democracy always lead to a government that reflects the prejudices of the uneducated masses in a given society?

Would middle eastern countries always just elect theocrats, etc.

==> Everyone needs to be well educated before it could work :D

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
RON PAUL 4 PREz

flappinghippo

HSC
Enteebee said:
Do you think you'd support a real representative, popularist democracy in Australia? I honestly don't know if I can (despite all my pro-democracy rhetoric) say I support such a thing. IMHO it would mean a return to the white Australia policy, it would possibly mean deportation of muslims from Australia, it would also possibly mean weird/whacky industrial relations policies which favour the workers to such an extent our economy becomes shitfaced.
What, we don't have a representative democracy now?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Optophobia said:
... as opposed to a democracy which supports ultra-capitalist policies which in turn rape the souls of its citizens?

:|

:\
It would essentially be chaos.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yea, that's the go. So we have representatives who are meant to go against us sometimes? Doesn't that seem to open up the possibility that we're far from 'free' at all?

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Enteebee said:
Yea, that's the go. So we have representatives who are meant to go against us sometimes? Doesn't that seem to open up the possibility that we're far from 'free' at all?
Of course we aren't really "free" but as long as everyone thinks they are they won't complain.

Most people are stupid. If they were "free" they would screw everything up, they just don't know it.... they think they would make great decisions but the truth is their freedom is limited for their own good.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Democracy, but with a constitution which prevents the government from doing much.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Optophobia said:
Yeh let corporations reign over our lives. Let the will of capitalism determine our lives. Abolish Medicare!!!111

Move to America. Now.
Corporatism relies upon government intervention too...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Optophobia said:
Prop up schools that only function enough to keep the capitalist drive going. - To this extent, neglect them and do not institute a nation wide educational standard. This way, we have plenty of uneducated prolls running around because even though they technically went to school, the school wasn't actually aligned with any decent standard (Miss Tennesee 2007 anyone?)
Well at the moment what do we have? Public schools that are so shit that parents:
- only send their kids to them because it's the law
- only pay for them because it's the law (tax)
Not to mention the fact that private school attendance is increasing by the year, (indicating both that we're getting wealthier and that people who were already wealthy enough are realising how crap public schools are).

Ideally if we abolished government control (but not funding) over schools, schools could be created that had content and teaching that actually suited the people they're currently failing (poor people & minorities).

At the moment schools will always advantage white & rich people because they're designed to and there's nothing parents can do about it.

Oh and that whole post was a bit of an appeal to emotion, no? :D

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Optophobia said:
capitalism does not support racism in Australia.
That's good, I don't claim that it does, capitalism is more likely to get rid of racism since a business only disadvantages itself by discriminating on the basis of race.

My point was about minorities & poor people being disadvantaged in public schools, which they are. I meant that as being a bad thing, you know.

EDIT2: You deleted your post :D

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
yeah but australia is ultimately a xenophobic racist bigoted misanthrope misogynist witch-hunter malicious abbhorrent socitey so, therefore,

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
new south wales public schools are the greatest educational institutions on this planet. from the grafitti in the toilet, to the islander smoking cones behind the sports shed, THEY ARE GREAT.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Optophobia said:
-Abolish HECS.
University graduates earn substantially more than the rest of the population, why shouldn't they pay for it?
- Prop up schools that only function enough to keep the capitalist drive going. - To this extent, neglect them and do not institute a nation wide educational standard. This way, we have plenty of uneducated prolls running around because even though they technically went to school, the school wasn't actually aligned with any decent standard (Miss Tennesee 2007 anyone?)
Proles. Miss South Carolina. Besides I don't think she was uneducated so much as mentally deficient.
- Health care should be 100% privatised.
Would encourage people to spend their money on health insurance instead of big screen TV's.
- Centralise the importance of the economy as being the be all and end all.
I never said that. Civil liberties are just as important, if not moreso when they are grossly abused.
- Don't understand that freedom means the freedom to walk through a park.
So I'm allowed to walk through your backyard? How about step into your house and start watching TV? How are these things fundamentally different to your park example?
- Freedom in fact means that corporations should be free to make as much money as they want, how ever they want. Even if this means permanently destroying the environment or by engaging in other unethical practices.
If a corporation causes my property value to decrease because of their negligent action, they have committed a tort against me, and this is covered by the existing legal system.
- Abolish national parks. Instead, sell them to corporations who can charge people to access them. Or better, allow the corporations to build houses and resorts in them. This way, at least they have some economic function.
What is inherently valuable about national parks if people don't visit them/gain some other benefit from them?
- No public road construction - let multibillion dollar corporations fund the construction. THEN let them prop up toll ways which exist on the structures for over a century (for a perfect example, look at the Sydney Harbour bridge which was built in 1932). This way, not only your grand children, but your great-grand children, will have access to a steady flow of money which they haven't actually worked for.
Roads cost money to maintain, dickwad.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Optophobia said:
Minorities & poor people can't afford to go to rich schools remember :confused:

Ultimately, who cares, seeing as only rich people should be able to go to university. Who cares about intelligence?
You don't need tennis courts & swimming pools to get an education. It's as much about the culture of school and how & what is taught as anything else.
EDIT: It goes back to when they brought in mass secondary schooling and decided they'd appropriate what they did in the rich academic schools onto everyone :D

At the moment it's the same at every school & that's why the rich schools have an advantage. If you abolish that it won't make any difference to the rich schools because they can keep doing what they like.

But instead of struggling public schools that are forced to do things that don't benefit their students at all we have a free market for education where parents can send their kids to a school that will actually do something for them.

Oh and who cares about intelligence? Not me, I care about education :D

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
jb_nc said:
new south wales public schools are the greatest educational institutions on this planet. from the grafitti in the toilet, to the islander smoking cones behind the sports shed, THEY ARE GREAT.
You forgot the mad attendance rates as well as number of weapons at the schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)