Whirlpool Forums Getting Sued By 2clix (1 Viewer)

Black Hawker

HSC
THE founder of one of the nation’s most popular online discussion forums says a lawsuit brought by a software company threatens freedom of speech on the net.

Whirlpool forums founder Simon Wright, who is being sued by accounting software maker 2Clix Australia for publishing comments the company alleges are “false and malicious”, says the legal action affects all online discussion and even film reviews...
Sourced from: news.com.au

I'm a member on that forum, and it's sad to think companies can do this.

Does anyone think this is just a blatant excuse to stop the freedom of speech on online forums?

If 2clix wins, it'll set a precedent for companies to sue forums. That's why we need to spread the word.

Go Whirlpool.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
I think this will backfire on 2dix. This court case will be the most publicity they ever get and even if they win they probably won't be able to collect.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Firstly, they aren't going to win.

Secondly, if they thought they were losing money before they have really fucked up now. They would of been better off letting it go when only a handful of people had seen the 2 threads. Now they have pissed off 180,000 Whirlpool users who will never buy their stuff again... but not only that, they will tell other people not to buy it either... which is huge considering a lot of the people they would be targeting and who have influence on decisions like which accounting software to use are part of that forum....and they will be known forever by the general public for being a bunch of morons who sue people for no reason.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Pretty stupid. Tuckermax allready set a legal precedent with something similiar, some blueberry tycoon got pissed off that people were making fun of him so he tried to sue. It backfired badly.

Black Hawker

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

Secondly, if they thought they were losing money before they have really fucked up now. They would of been better off letting it go when only a handful of people had seen the 2 threads. Now they have pissed off 180,000 Whirlpool users who will never buy their stuff again... but not only that, they will tell other people not to buy it either... which is huge considering a lot of the people they would be targeting and who have influence on decisions like which accounting software to use are part of that forum....and they will be known forever by the general public for being a bunch of morons who sue people for no reason.
It's going to be onot the 4th thread soon.

Anyway, now its all over the net, no one will buy from them. What's funny is that if they didn't sued, not as many people would have seen how bad they were...

K

katie_tully

The worst kind of publicity is no publicity at all. The best form of publicity is bad publicity.

They're just dicks.

X

xeuyrawp

iamsickofyear12 said:
Legal expert over here?

See here. Essentially, it's been shown that linking to illegal material amounts to copyright infringement on behalf of the forum/site itself. That's why we don't allow links to torrents/P2P programs/etc here, because it's too hard to judge if it's a copyright infringement or not. If it is, bos can get in real trouble.

If it has been shown that the site is (within a reasonable period of time) responsible for forum members' linking, I don't see why it's not also responsible for forum members' other conduct. It's exactly the same situation as a newspaper, radio program, or whatever -- the editorial team will always try to remove illegal material, because they can be held accountable, despite them not writing it.

With regards to whether it'll be good publicity, well I think it will in the end. They will do what many products and services have done in the past, which is use the bad publicity to propel their bad brand, then at the last minute change the product as to iron out all the problems. They'll undoubtedly use the negative news-space to promote their new product; ie when a newspaper does an article about the suit and asks for feedback from the company, they'll essentially say 'these charges are slanderous and illegal! We've changed our product, though, it's orsum now.'

matt88m

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Legal expert over here?

See here. Essentially, it's been shown that linking to illegal material amounts to copyright infringement on behalf of the forum/site itself. That's why we don't allow links to torrents/P2P programs/etc here, because it's too hard to judge if it's a copyright infringement or not. If it is, bos can get in real trouble.

If it has been shown that the site is (within a reasonable period of time) responsible for forum members' linking, I don't see why it's not also responsible for forum members' other conduct. It's exactly the same situation as a newspaper, radio program, or whatever -- the editorial team will always try to remove illegal material, because they can be held accountable, despite them not writing it.

With regards to whether it'll be good publicity, well I think it will in the end. They will do what many products and services have done in the past, which is use the bad publicity to propel their bad brand, then at the last minute change the product as to iron out all the problems. They'll undoubtedly use the negative news-space to promote their new product; ie when a newspaper does an article about the suit and asks for feedback from the company, they'll essentially say 'these charges are slanderous and illegal! We've changed our product, though, it's orsum now.'
um somehow I dont think so.. Any IT manager etc with purchasing power will see this news and blacklist 2clix. I know many already have.

X

xeuyrawp

matt88m said:
um somehow I dont think so.. Any IT manager etc with purchasing power will see this news and blacklist 2clix. I know many already have.
Um, they'll probably change their brand, or just promote another one with the media they've gotten. Hence 'any publicity...' and all that. The cliche doesn't suddenly fall apart with the IT industry.

banco55

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Legal expert over here?

Ever heard of the mclibel trial? I hope you aren't considering a career in marketing.

Black Hawker

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Um, they'll probably change their brand, or just promote another one with the media they've gotten. Hence 'any publicity...' and all that. The cliche doesn't suddenly fall apart with the IT industry.
And they are. They are about to merge with another software company in Hawaii, I think.

matt88m

HSC
N/A
2clix sales said:
Hi Everyone,

A follow up on John White.

We have just had a chat on the phone and John was happy for 2Clix to come to the table to discuss what the future has to hold.

I told him everything I know about Platinum One, that it involves a software investment company out of Vanuatu and that a partnership had been formed between them and us with a trading name of Platinum One Pty Ltd here in Australia where we are licensed to convert the software to Australian standards.

I also know that the software is planned to be launched in 2-3 months.

I know there has been significant investment with both time and money in it.

I know many of our clients are waiting patiently to see it.

John and I are discussing moving foward some more this coming Monday.

Let's see what we can achieve together.

Thanks John.

Stephen
Have a look at the Platinum One Site. Exact same testimonials as the 2clix site lol

X

xeuyrawp

banco55 said:
Ever heard of the mclibel trial? I hope you aren't considering a career in marketing.
Because that's such a good comparison here...? A massive British court battle between one of the largest global companies and a couple of hippies, which turned out to be some of the most important legal cases in recent history, which caused years and years of (continuing) debate over its ethical and legal ramifications, which was taken to numerous other global courts, etc etc... Compared to a small local case, the importance of which is being hugely exaggerated in the wake of no APEC, Britney Spears, or druggo footballer news. This really won't form an important landmark, if it does at all.

banco55

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Because that's such a good comparison here...? A massive British court battle between one of the largest global companies and a couple of hippies, which turned out to be some of the most important legal cases in recent history, which caused years and years of (continuing) debate over its ethical and legal ramifications, which was taken to numerous other global courts, etc etc... Compared to a small local case, the importance of which is being hugely exaggerated in the wake of no APEC, Britney Spears, or druggo footballer news. This really won't form an important landmark, if it does at all.
The mclibel case demonstrates that clearly not all publicity is good publicity. Plus the commmunity of IT people that decide which type of accounting software to provide is pretty small and when they hear the name 2clix this case will be the first thing that comes to mind.

Black Hawker

HSC
matt88m said:
Have a look at the Platinum One Site. Exact same testimonials as the 2clix site lol
Yep, and not only that. Also you might notice that they are no names attached to the testimonals...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)