Australia should join NATO (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Giuliani says NATO should admit Australia September 20, 2007 - 10:15AM

Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani has urged NATO to admit Australia, India, Israel, Japan and Singapore as part of proposals to combat Islamic extremism.

He told a US-British conservative group in London today that Britain and the United States must stand side-by-side in tackling Islamic terrorism.
"This is no time for defeatism and appeasement," he said.
He also ruled out a "pre-determined timetable" for a US pullout from Iraq and said British Prime Minister Gordon Brown was right to reject such a timetable for British forces.

Victory there should depend on reaching a point at which Iraq could be maintained as a US ally "in the terrorist war against us", said Giuliani, Republican frontrunner in the race to succeed US President George W Bush in the November 2008 election.

Iraq was part of a much larger war, Giuliani said, urging Washington and London not to be distracted from Afghanistan, where he called for a redoubling of efforts.

Among his proposals for the United States and Britain to take the lead in "winning this war", Giuliani urged the two countries to push for an expansion of NATO into a global body.
"We should open the organisation's membership to any willing state that meets basic standards of good governance, military readiness (and) global responsibility, regardless of location," he said.

"I think we should consider countries such as Australia, Singapore, India, Israel, Japan ... and there are probably a whole group of others that we could put on that list," he said.

The defence alliance has expanded in recent years but its current membership is 26 countries in North America and Europe.
Facing increasing war-weariness in the United States, Bush last week ordered gradual troop reductions in Iraq but defied calls for a dramatic change of course.

Giuliani, giving the first "Margaret Thatcher Atlantic Bridge" lecture to an audience that included the former British prime minister, called for an expansion of the US military, saying it had cut back too much after the Cold War.

"We need to add at least 10 new combat brigades, that's probably just the beginning," Giuliani said.

The United States faced not only Islamic terrorism, but also had to consider the possibility of a "large war with a nation state," he said.
Speaking earlier, Giuliani said the United States should spell out clearly to Iran that it would not allow Tehran to acquire nuclear weapons. Giuliani said he had discussed Iran with Brown, his predecessor Tony Blair and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert in the past few days.

The West suspects Iran is developing atomic weapons but Tehran says its nuclear program is aimed solely at generating electric power.
"The policy of the United States of America should be very, very clear: we will use any option we believe is in our best interest to stop them from being a nuclear power," Giuliani said.
Reuters
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world...admit-australia/2007/09/20/1189881639674.html

Totally agreed.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
We are not in the north Atlantic
You forgot Turkey, Poland, Slovakia, Czech rep etc are members of NATO

Last edited by a moderator:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Stopped reading after I saw Rudy Guiliani, he's an idiot.

Did anyone else read his essay in Foreign Policy? The man has no idea.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I don't see why geographic boundaries should have anything to do with who is and isn't admitted to NATO - It should primarily be a strategic alliance.

That's not to say that I think NATO is a positive force or anything like that. :-|

Atilla89

HSC
I think it would be great if we were admitted to NATO - the more alliances with a military power such as NATO would be great for our defence.

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
PrinceHarry said:
And idiot like you forgot Turkey, Poland, Slovakia, Czech rep etc are members of NATO LOL :rofl:
Yeah but everyone's sympathy has expired for those countries when WW 2 ended. Get with the times motherfucker!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Schroedinger said:
HEY GUYS LET'S JUST MAKE MORE FUCKING OVERSIGHT ORGANISATIONS
W
H
Y
D
ON'T WE MAKE THE UNITED NATIONS NATION OF NATION NATIONS TREATY ORGANISNATION AND THEN WE CAN ALL STACK THE SECURITY COUNCILS.

Fuck this off like whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

We have too many of these stupid white elephant bodies that do nothing. FANTASTIC.
Seems a bit much to suggest than the UN does nothing...

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
UN needs a dedicated military force so they can go to war with rogue states like AMerica and Iran

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
What the fuck does NATO stand for nowadays? It's a relic of the cold war.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Graney said:
What the fuck does NATO stand for nowadays? It's a relic of the cold war.
It was involved with the intervention in Kosovo, and it's doing some stuff in Afghanistan as well. But nowadays it's more an alliance of Western nations than it is a group that actually does things.

Foxodi

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Hey guys we're the UN what should we do today, oh I know let's just OBSERVE SOME GENOCIDE AND DO NOTHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE OUR SECURITY COUNCIL IS STACKED.

Oh I know what we can do! We can condemn Israel whilst millions die in Genocides!

Woohooo

Fucking yes, man, the UN serves SUCH a purpose.

The UN is as much of a white Elephant as the WTO
Agreed...
Seriously, it is not in human's nature for all of us to work for 'the greater good'. There will always be injustices or nothing from such an organisation, and the UN has chosen the nothing path.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Hey guys we're the UN what should we do today, oh I know let's just OBSERVE SOME GENOCIDE AND DO NOTHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE OUR SECURITY COUNCIL IS STACKED.

Oh I know what we can do! We can condemn Israel whilst millions die in Genocides!

Woohooo

Fucking yes, man, the UN serves SUCH a purpose.

The UN is as much of a white Elephant as the WTO
doesn't the UN give a fair amount of time, money and help to poor people and whatever?

http://www.un.org/ha/

I'm not saying the UN is a flawless organisation, but it's outright dumb to say it does nothing, or to list that stuff you were on about while ignoring everything they actually do.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
The amount of global politics involved in every situation tend to significantly reduce the amount of good the UN can do and thus undermine its core tenets of helping people.
Perhaps, but it's no white elephant. :) I'd say that the benefits of having it around, given all the stuff it's done by far outweighs any bureaucratic problems with the organisation and its member countries.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I dont see what's wrong with ANZUS (apart from excluding NZ and offering us no guarantees)
I dont know what he's on about, but looks like he's after an anti-china coalition

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
He wants to form an alliance of cool dudes to hang out and shit.

Unless India joins and decides to attack in Kashmir. UH OH!

Matt Samson

HSC
The problem with all these groupings is that there is no world wide grouping other than the United Nations.

There should be a like minded military grouping that is not geographically specific like NATO.

Australia operates under NATO in Afghanistan but we're not a member of it. It is clear that NATO is now operating outside Europe, so I see no reason why Australia should not be part of an organisation in which we have provided troops to.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Matt Samson said:
The problem with all these groupings is that there is no world wide grouping other than the United Nations.

There should be a like minded military grouping that is not geographically specific like NATO.
I think the only world wide groupings with teeth are economic. Spectacular military conquest - probably finally buried in the sands of the Gulf - wont cut it anymore. Globalisation will slowly dismantle the nation state in more practical, peaceful and productive ways.

ubernuton

HSC
PrinceHarry said:
And idiot like you forgot Turkey, Poland, Slovakia, Czech rep etc are members of NATO LOL :rofl:
those fucking countries are a hell load closer than we are and poland was on the north adlantic

Mabs

Meowmix
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Seems a bit much to suggest than the UN does nothing...
The UN needs to get back to its roots 'n' shit.. Do what it originally meant to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)