President of Iran humiliated at Columbia University (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday questioned why Iran can't have a nuclear program when the United States has one, repeated his inference that historical accounts of the Holocaust are myths, and denied that there are homosexuals in Iran.
In animated remarks before students and faculty at a controversial speaking engagment at Columbia university, the Iranian leader also denied that Iran sponsors terror, and instead pointed the finger at the U.S. government as a supporter of terrorism.
"We don't need to resort to terrorism. We've been victims of terrorism, ourselves," he said. "Within six months, over 4,000 Iranians lost their lives, assassinated by terrorist groups. All this carried out by the hand of one single terrorist group. Regretfully, that same terrorist group now, today, in your country, is operating under the support of the U.S. administration, working freely, distributing declarations freely, and their camps in Iraq are supported by the U.S. government."
Ahmadinejad did not name the group to which he was referring.

Columbia President Lee Bollinger opened the program with a blistering introduction in which he lambasted Ahmadinejad for calling for the annihilation of Israel, denying the Holocaust and supporting the execution of children, and told the leader of Iran that he resembled "a petty and cruel dictator.

/**/
Bollinger levied repeated criticisms against Ahmadinejad, calling on him to answer a series of challenges about his leadership, blasting his views about the "myth" of the Holocaust as being "absurd," and saying that he doubted he "will have the intellectual courage to answer these questions."
"You are either brazenly provocative or astonishingly uneducated," Bollinger told Ahmadinejad about the leader's Holocaust denial. "Will you cease this outrage?"

After sitting through Bollinger's rebuke, Ahmadinejad rose to applause, and after a religious invocation, opened his remarks by objecting to the scolding, saying it was insulting to be spoken about that way.
"At the outset, I want to complain a bit about the person who read this political statement made against me," Ahmadinejad said. "In Iran, we don't think it's necessary to come in before the speech has already begun with a series of complaints ... It was an insult to information and the knowledge of the audience here."

He said Bollinger's speech was full of "insults and claims that were incorrect, regretfully," and accused Bollinger of offering "unfriendly treatment" under the influence of the U.S. press and politicians.
He did not address Bollinger's accusations directly, instead launching into a long religious discussion laced with quotes from the Koran before turning to criticism of the Bush administration and past American governments, from warrantless wiretapping to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
He asked why the United States was allowed to develop nuclear weapons capabilities, but his country was not.

"How come you have that right and we don’t have it?" he challenged.

On the issue of the Holocaust, Ahmadinejad said more "research" was needed on what took place, but he seemed to acknowledge that it did exist.
"I am not saying that it didn't happen at all. This is not that judgment that I am passing here," he said. "Granted this happened, what does it have to do with the Palestinian people? ... Why is it that the Palestinian people are paying the price for an event they had nothing to do with?"

And the Iranian leader denied that homosexuality exists in his country when asked to explain the execution of homosexuals in Iran.
"In Iran we don't have homosexuals like in your country," he said, to laughter and boos from the audience. 'In Iran we do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who's told you that we have this."

Ahmadinejad began the first full day of his controversial New York City trip Monday--his third in three years-- amid mounting protests and air-tight security, with his first appearance beginning just after noon EDT via video before the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. His highly publicized visit to Columbia University in New York City began at 1:30 p.m.
Bollinger, who was strongly criticized for inviting Ahmadinejad to Columbia, had promised tough questions in his introduction to Ahmadinejad's talk, but the strident and personal nature of his attack on the president of Iran was startling.
"Mr. President, you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator," Bollinger said, to loud applause.
He said Ahmadinejad's denial of the Holocaust might fool the illiterate and ignorant.
"When you come to a place like this it makes you simply ridiculous," Bollinger said. "The truth is that the Holocaust is the most documented event in human history."

Ahmadinejad said he simply wanted more research on the Holocaust, which he said was abused as a justification for Israeli mistreatment of the Palestinians.
"Why is it that the Palestinian people are paying the price for an event they had nothing to do with?" Ahmadinejad asked. He closed his prepared remarks with a terse smile, to applause and boos, before taking questions from the audience.
During the question and answer period, Ahmadinejad was taken to task on remarks he has made calling for the destruction of Israel, with the Columbia moderator accusing him of failing to answer the question.
"We love all nations. We are friends with the Jewish people. There are many Jews living in Iran with security," Ahmadinejad said. "Our proposal to the Palestinian plight is a humanitarian and a democratic proposal. What we say is that to solve this 60-year problem, we must allow the Palestinian people to decide about its future for itself."
The moderator asked him to simply answer "yes" or "no" on whether or not he wanted to destroy Israel.
"Mr. President, I think many members of our audience would like to hear a clearer answer to that question," the moderator said. "The question is: Do you or your government seek the destruction of the state of Israel as a Jewish state? And I think you could answer that question with a single word, either yes or no."

"You asked the question, and then you want the answer the way you want to hear it. Well, this isn't really a free flow of information," Ahmadinejad retorted. 'I'm just telling you what my position is. I'm asking you: Is the Palestinian issue not an international issue of prominence or not? Please tell me, yes or no? There's the plight of a people."
The moderator told him the answer to his question was "yes," and the Iranian president thanked him for his cooperation.
"We recognize there's a problem there that's been going on for 60 years. Everybody provides a solution. And our solution is a free referendum," the Iranian president said. "Let this referendum happen, and then you'll see what the results are."

Ahmadinejad said he believes that the United States and Iran have the potential to be great friends.
"I think that if the U.S. administration, if the U.S. government, puts aside some of its old behaviors, it can actually be a good friend for the Iranian people, for the Iranian nation," Ahmadinejad said.
"If the U.S. government recognizes the rights of the Iranian people, respects all nations and extends a hand of friendship with all Iranians, they, too, will see that Iranians will be one of its best friends."

President Bush said Ahmadinejad's appearance spoke to the "greatness" of the United States of America. :D
"He's the head of a state sponsor of terror, and yet, an institution in our country gives him the chance to express his point of view, which really speaks to the freedoms of the country," Bush told FOX News on Monday ahead of the Columbia event. "I'm not so sure I'd offer the same invitation, but nevertheless, it speaks volumes about the greatness, really, of America. We're confident enough to let a person express his views. I just really hope he tells everybody the truth."

Bush said that while he's "not sure" he would have offered the Iranian leader a platform from which to outline his agenda, he thinks it's OK that Columbia University did invite Ahmadinejad to speak.
"This is a place of high learning and if the president (of Columbia) thinks it's a good idea to have the leader from Iran come and talk to the students as an educational experience, I guess it's OK with me," Bush told FOX News in an interview. "The problem is Ahmadinejad uses these platforms to advance his agenda, which I suspect in this case ... He doesn't want America to know his true intentions."
Before his Columbia appearance Monday, the Iranian leader, speaking via video from New York City to journalists at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., tossed aside a question about Israel by saying Iran doesn't recognize the "regime," accusing it of killing people and committing various other atrocities. More here...... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297823,00.html
It seems to vindicate the initial outrage at Columbia University for inviting him. Maybe Columbia invited him so they can put him on a situation like this. Well Done!

HSC
N/A
He's an embarrassment to owning weapons that are capable of destroying England and Europe (so now he's claiming). They might as well just totured him with a taser, let alone have him in their own country. Did Bush actually allow him to be in the US without thinking that he might announce biological war on the US? Blrgh. I say once a terrorist, always a terrorist.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
He's there for UN General Assembly, US rarely denied entry to foreign leaders for UN meetings unless they are war criminals. An exception was Yasser Arafat who was denied US visa because he was a terrorist.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I thought the Regal's choice of news was the BBC rather than Fox News?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What a pig to rock up to one of America's biggest jewish town.
Totally out of his depth.

banco55

HSC
politik said:
Erroneous. Doesn't have problem with Jews, has problem with Israel.
If you flirt with holocaust denial like he does then yeah he has problems with Jews.

I liked the borat moment when he said there are no homosexuals in Iran. LOL at these muslim nutters.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
politik said:
So why are there a number of Jews in the Iranian Parliament?
The Parliament has absolutely no power... It doesn't really matters what the make-up of it is.

X

xeuyrawp

Hahah, I can't believe he went to Columbia of all places, especially with that Bollinger character around. Didn't Ahmadinejad see that Boston Legal episode? :S

Schroedinger said:
Hey I understand the total causality theory of interstitial mediums.

I know fuck all, none of us do, all we do is spout rhetorical shit at each other.

I love this fucking forum.
wikipedia, or it doesn't exist.

williams180

HSC
wat a joke that columbian president is. Inviting a national leader to his university and then trying to act ' cool' and throw ridiculous insults at him. I commend the Iranian leader for taking the opportunity to speak and responding in a civil and controlled manner. He did not have to resort to insults.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
williams180 said:
wat a joke that columbian president is. Inviting a national leader to his university and then trying to act ' cool' and throw ridiculous insults at him. I commend the Iranian leader for taking the opportunity to speak and responding in a civil and controlled manner. He did not have to resort to insults.
What exactly is insulting about confronting him with his own idiotic believes and policies. That is the sole purpose of the meeting in the first place. American University taught an oppressive ruler a lesson on free speech and freedom, and that is the beauty of America. :rofl:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I think the whole thing is pretty hilarious myself. Poor...Mahmoud Ahmadinejad...he's so deluded.

pete_mate

HSC
good on the iranian president for having the guts to come to university to speak.

That's more than can be said for george bush, tho condoleeza did goto usyd albeit under complete secrecy.

Much like i admire joe hockey for doing an IR debate in manning in front of a very unreceptive audience

williams180

HSC
PrinceHarry said:
What exactly is insulting about confronting him with his own idiotic believes and policies. That is the sole purpose of the meeting in the first place. American University taught an oppressive ruler a lesson on free speech and freedom, and that is the beauty of America. :rofl:
they taught him nothing he walked out of there the winner a hero of life. You dont have someone at ure university just to give him some of your radical and misinformed views well done on himing taking the offer and presenting himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
williams180 said:
they taught him nothing he walked out of there the winner a hero of life. You dont have someone at ure university just to give him some of your radical and misinformed views well done on himing taking the offer and presenting himself.
Even the Iranians are ashamed of him including his own government that they refused to broadcast the event on Iranian farsi speaking Channel LOL!
A lunatic like him cannot expect better treatment than what was done to him at the world's best University. He certainly learnt a lesson on freedom of speech which unfortuantely is not available to the people he ruled. Too bad he cannot order execution of Lee Bollinger. He'll probably take out his humiliation on poor iranian people back home in Iran :rofl:

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
when is Bush going to an Iranian university to field questions from iranians?
I would pay to see that.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
PrinceHarry said:
Obviously they don't have homosexuals in Iran because he executed them :D
lol...the same way sadam executed all the "man-de-lahh's"

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
williams180 said:
His people love him. How did he get into office? Oh yeh they voted for him retard. Great man great country.
In an election as transparent as a brick wall where Ayatollah handpicked his President oh yes great country which is among the largest exporter of Oil yet an importer of Petrol and Diesel! LOL :rofl:

also they dont have homosexuals accept it. Its a western phenomenan
Yeah they don't have homosexuals because they hanged them!

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Columbia president reviled, praised

By COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press Writer
Mon Sep 24, 9:41 PM ET

NEW YORK - After days of fierce criticism for giving a forum to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Columbia University's president came out swinging Monday with his own tough remarks and was rewarded with resounding applause.

"I am only a professor, who is also a university president, and today I feel all the weight of the modern civilized world yearning to express the revulsion at what you stand for," University president Lee Bollinger said to Ahmadinejad. "I only wish I could do better."

He also said: "Mr. President, you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator."

Bollinger and the school have been attacked for days by politicians who said it was wrong to give the Iranian leader a platform and by Jewish leaders offended by Ahmadinejad's denial of the Holocaust.

On Monday, page-long ads appeared in newspapers lambasting the school's decision. Some state lawmakers said they would carefully examine any future funding requests by the school.

Many students, even those who planned to protest against the visit, had defended the school's right to invite Ahmadinejad, saying it was an issue of academic freedom. Still, many in the audience were impressed with Bollinger's forceful remarks.

"Columbia's reputation was under attack," said Arash Nia, a graduate student at the school's Teacher's College. "By giving that speech he was saying, 'We invited you, but we don't agree with what you stand for.' For Columbia, and the world's views of Columbia, it was the perfect thing to say."

The Iranian president did not address Bollinger's accusations directly, instead launching into a long religious talk and criticism of American governments. Some audience members said Bollinger's speech could have been more tactful, and suggested his remarks were so harsh because he was under pressure from the Jewish community.
Source

He was taken by surprise and was exasperated. he didn't know how to answer and instead talked about Quran LOL!
onebytwo said:
when is Bush going to an Iranian university to field questions from iranians?
I would pay to see that.
Is there an university in Iran?:rofl:

Atilla89

HSC
politik said:
So why are there a number of Jews in the Iranian Parliament?
There is one token Jew in the Iranian parliment (every minority in Iran has to have at least one member by law). Big fucking whoop what the hell is one Jew in parliment going to do which will influence Iranian policy? BTW, the power lies with the Mullahs and Ayatollahs, hence why it is called a theocracy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)