John Howard: "Millions of Aussies won't say sorry to Aboriginals" (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
MILLIONS of Australians will never support a formal apology to Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders because they do not think there is anything to apologise for, Prime Minister John Howard has said.

Mr Howard has committed a re-elected Coalition government to a referendum to recognise indigenous people in a preamble to the Constitution in pursuit of a new Aboriginal reconciliation based on "equity rather than apologies".

He has said a vote would show the "watershed change" on national attitudes to Australia's indigenous population since his Government's intervention in isolated communities. But he has again ruled out saying sorry.

"I have always supported reconciliation but not of the apologetic, shame-laden, guilt-ridden type," he said on Southern Cross radio.

"There are millions of Australians who will never entertain an apology because they don't believe there is anything to apologise for. They are sorry for past mistreatment but that is different from assuming responsibility for it."

But in his speech last night in which he outlined his proposal, he appealed to Australians to recognise that "while ever our indigenous citizens are left out or marginalised or feel their identity is challenged, we are all diminished".

"We are not a federation of tribes. We are one great tribe; one Australia."

Indigenous leaders have welcomed Mr Howard's new stance on the reconciliation issue, but some have questioned its timing with a federal election just around the corner and have said an apology will always remain "unfinished business".

Labor Leader Kevin Rudd has offered "bipartisan leadership" on the issue.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22573149-5012863,00.html

damn right.

jimmayyy

HSC
in all seriousness, i think this is a viewpoint loads more ordinary australians can get behind, i for one, hence hopefully bringing about the change needed.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
There is no fucking way I would support saying sorry.

Europeans gave aboriginals the opportunity for a better existence. It is their own fault they haven't made the most of it.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Howard's last gasp for air before his demise.

It will be glorious.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
jb_nc said:
Howard's last gasp for air before his demise.

It will be glorious.
I think he's got a few more bloody sputterings left

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
I support a referendum on whether to apologise or not. cause i already know what the result would be ;)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
They are sorry for past mistreatment but that is different from assuming responsibility for it.
What a fucking moron of a Prime Minister we have. Honestly. I mean not apologising is in effect not recognising, that we live in a prosperous and fertile country because European imperialists stole this country off the natives. Followed by an indigenous holocaust where native Tasmanian Aboriginals were almost completely wiped out.

Honestly, anybody who can't find it within themselves to apologise to the Aboriginals for what happened to their ancestors shouldn't be allowed to live in this prosperous and fertile country.

That's what I think atleast.

jimmayyy

HSC
sam04u said:
That's what I think atleast.
while i recognise you have the right to an idiotic opinion (notice, i am not apologising to the rest of the board for it)....

sam04u said:
not apologising is in effect not recognising
...that is just a blatant falsehood. there is a HUGE difference between recognition of the crimes of others and admittal of guilt via an apology.

Honestly, anybody who can't find it within themselves to apologise to the Aboriginals for what happened to their ancestors shouldn't be allowed to live in this prosperous and fertile country.
and this just makes you look like a fuckwit. i am deeply sorry for WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM, i'm just not sorry THAT I CARRIED IT OUT. because, simply, i didn't.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
...that is just a blatant falsehood. there is a HUGE difference between recognition of the crimes of others and admittal of guilt via an apology.
Do you recognise that you live in this prosperous country, because of the European invasion of the Aboriginal peoples land? Do you accept that you live a comfortable life at the expense of the Aboriginal peoples lost lives and homes? Even though you were not directly responsible for the atrocities commited against the Aboriginals, you are able to live the current life you do because their country was colonised by the Brits. (Which were probably your forefathers, which would give you more of a reason to apologise on their behalf.) eg; I apologise on behalf of the European settlers, who commited atrocities against the Aboriginal people.

and this just makes you look like a fuckwit. i am deeply sorry for WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM, i'm just not sorry THAT I CARRIED IT OUT. because, simply, i didn't
You're a good bloke, but this is a combination of you being wrong, and trawled. I look at it this way. Anytime somebody has to cuss you out, or capitalise one word during a post. They lost their cool.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
sam04u said:
You're a good bloke, but this is a combination of you being wrong, and trawled. I look at it this way. Anytime somebody has to cuss you out, or capitalise one word during a post. They lost their cool.
i guess i lose my cool a lot

jimmayyy

HSC
how can i possibly apologise on behalf of an entire colony of people i have little conection to (only one side of my family, my mothers, goes all the way back to the first fleet era) and never knew about/consorted with/agreed with? no one has the authority to speak for those guilty of the horrific crimes that took place during the colonisation through to the 50's except those people, which, unfortunately, are all long dead.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
agreed ^. that's the same as saying if they found one of my ancestors killed one of yours, and he wasn't found guilty in his days, now i'll have to apologise on his behalf. it just doesn't work that way. if the native people want an apology, dig up james cook and make him do it. our johnny has done nothing wrong to the native people hence an apology is not warranted.

after all, aren't we already compensating the native people? don't we already have native titles and reconciliations? what difference would an apology make?

if it means so much to them, we'll just make one up, and get johnny boy to read it out without sincerity or care.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
wuddie said:
agreed ^. that's the same as saying if they found one of my ancestors killed one of yours, and he wasn't found guilty in his days, now i'll have to apologise on his behalf. it just doesn't work that way. if the native people want an apology, dig up james cook and make him do it. our johnny has done nothing wrong to the native people hence an apology is not warranted.

after all, aren't we already compensating the native people? don't we already have native titles and reconciliations? what difference would an apology make?

if it means so much to them, we'll just make one up, and get johnny boy to read it out without sincerity or care.
You make it sound like it was ancient history, which couldn't be further from the truth. Even though you weren't directly responsible for the atrocities that were commited against the Aboriginal people, you live a prosperous life in this fertile country as a result of those atrocities. Moreso, you're trying to make it sound like giving benefits and handing over native sites of cultural significance to those who suffered the atrocities as a reason not to apologise.

Unless you don't recognise the fact that you're able to lead a prosperous life because of the European colonists, you should have no reason not to apologise on behalf of them. eg; I apologise on behalf of the European settlers, who commited atrocities against the Aboriginal people.

It's really as simple as that. You're not taking direct blame, you're not making yourself out to be the criminal or be liable for the atrocities. You're just recognising that they suffered, and as a result we as Australians live prosperous lives. I mean most of the Aboriginals alive today didn't suffer directly under the hands of the imperialists either. It's basically like saying "sorry" to a friend who lost somebody dear to them.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
saying 'sorry', would that make a whole world of difference to them? would they all of a sudden accept and welcome 'white' people as if nothing happened? no.

history has been written in the way as it happened - white folks came to down under, saw some aborigines, decided to kill them, and then in the 20s and 30s they had the stolen generation. the fact that history has recorded these events as they were, means we (white folks, and their beneficitors) have recognised aborigines' right to this land and their ownership. what's more, the native title returns the right of the land to their people. what more can they want? a 'sorry' from johnny h will ensure they live in harmony and never speak of their 'sufferings again'?

it is not about taking the blame or not. it is about what the native people really want. money? everyone get out and return the land to them? because surely, after all these years, a simple 'sorry' will mean less and less to them, as the generations grow further from the sufferers.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
wuddie said:
saying 'sorry', would that make a whole world of difference to them? would they all of a sudden accept and welcome 'white' people as if nothing happened? no.

history has been written in the way as it happened - white folks came to down under, saw some aborigines, decided to kill them, and then in the 20s and 30s they had the stolen generation. the fact that history has recorded these events as they were, means we (white folks, and their beneficitors) have recognised aborigines' right to this land and their ownership. what's more, the native title returns the right of the land to their people. what more can they want? a 'sorry' from johnny h will ensure they live in harmony and never speak of their 'sufferings again'?

it is not about taking the blame or not. it is about what the native people really want. money? everyone get out and return the land to them? because surely, after all these years, a simple 'sorry' will mean less and less to them, as the generations grow further from the sufferers.
Its a symbolic thing, they were persecuted killed tortured etc.

I remember my history teacher saying something like.... if johnny says sorry its as though he is admitting guilt and the Aboriginals would be able to Sue the federal government for all their worth.... (Year 10 history lolz)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
wrxsti said:

I remember my history teacher saying something like.... if johnny says sorry its as though he is admitting guilt and the Aboriginals would be able to Sue the federal government for all their worth.... (Year 10 history lolz)
I think I'd rather that no apology be made than to have one simply to shut them up.

jimmayyy

HSC
wrxsti said:

did your history teacher tell you that as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)