Brendan Nelson new Opposition Leader (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
45-42 v Turnbull

Julie Bishop deputy.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
AHAHAHA! YES

Let the squabbling begin!

sarevok

HSC
After his ineptitude in the defence portfolio (kovco stuff-up, ordering those fighter planes that don't work) I don't see why he's deserving of getting this. he wasn't exactly a much-loved figure in the education portfolio either, and he's still very strongly linked to the howard era

I think probably Turnbull is seen as too progressive and lefty by some in the libs...nevertheless I expect that his approval ratings will be poor and Turnbull will be in the job by this time next year

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I cant wait to see how he takes the Iraq pull-out.
There is no way he will last. Set Debus on him I say!

This is the opportunity Labor needed to grow in office.
Thankyou Lord

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Also waiting for the hilarious cartoon:

Heir Apparent?
-or-
Hair Apparent?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Fucking sportingbet. They didn't clear my $90 worth of winnings from the federal election in time for me to put them down on Nelson at 5.00 :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Lindsay Tanner's Facebook said:
Why kids today feel so 'emo'Share
1:08pm Friday, Jun 15
YOU might not have heard of emos. Neither had I until two teenage girls from Melbourne's outer east committed suicide.

Some people blamed the emo culture.

Emos belong to a distinct youth subculture that emerged from the music and fashion of the goth and punk culture in the 1980s.

Emo is short for emotional. It now seems to reflect quite a bit more than just particular music and fashion styles.

Emos are supposedly sensitive, introverted and alienated.

Some claim that the emo subculture celebrates self-harm and glorifies suicide. Certainly a casual wander through an emo website can be a little confronting. You'll find plenty of comments like "I hate everything" and "people suck".

How worried should we be about this? Frankly, I'm not sure.

We've seen plenty of strange youth subcultures come and go over the years. My generation got off on flower power, peace, love and universal happiness and we seem to have survived.

I'm reluctant to get too agitated about a particular subculture, even if some connect it with teenage suicides. It's hard to know whether that link exists anyway.

There's another angle to this issue that does trouble me though.

Emos sound a lot like kids who typically get bullied and excluded by other kids. And bullying is something I do feel strongly about. Kids choosing an odd subculture just to be different is one thing, but if it's an escape from an unhappy world of bullying and humiliation it's an entirely different matter.

I'm not really in a position to know, but I can't help wondering.

There's nothing new about bullying. But the social context in which today's kids grow up is very different from when I went to school.

If you're beautiful, brainy, wealthy or sporty, you're probably OK. If you're just an ordinary kid, not outstanding at anything, the world can be a pretty unpleasant place.

We all need to be needed. Recognition of the contribution we each make is a crucial part of our individual wellbeing. In the old world, teenagers who weren't academic stars were already in the workforce and earning respect.

Childhood lasts a lot longer these days. Without the innate dignity that attaches to adult things, such as full-time work and raising a family, it can be pretty lonely for many teenagers.

The exaggerated value our society places on individual success can have a demoralising effect on many young people. Kids who feel inadequate can become bullies, or get bullied. For those who are bullied their feelings of inadequacy are entrenched by regular humiliation.

Some cope, some adjust, some recover. But for some kids the results can be permanent, even fatal. To counteract their own insecurities, bullies home in on the weaknesses of their victims.

Schools try harder to stamp out bullying now, but it's very hard to police. I'm in favour of zero tolerance, but I realise schools can't do everything.

Parents should take more responsibility for their kids' behaviour.

We all need to pay more attention to kids, to protect them from bullying and prevent them from becoming bullies.

They all deserve a reasonable start in life.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
The Liberals have made a massive mistake. Two votes for Turnbull could have saved the party from the oblivion they are heading towards.

Kevin '11.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Guess I won't be voting Liberals again. If this keeps up, Kevin Rudd might surpass Howard as longest running Prime Minister.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I would've voted for Nelson had I been in the party room. Historically the first opposition kleader after a change in government won't ever be PM anyway, and no sense burning Turnbull too early.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
jb_nc said:
The Liberals have made a massive mistake. Two votes for Turnbull could have saved the party from the oblivion they are heading towards.

Kevin '11.
I agree. I like Nelson but he's got too many fuck ups in his past and just doesn't have the name recognition/image that Turnbull has... From my understanding Nelson apparently has huge support amongst backbenchers (you know those guys no one cares about and do nothing but get elected?) whereas Turnbull would have been the favourite amongst people who have actually done things..

jimmayyy

HSC
i cant believe i am actually begging for costello to make a comeback

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
jimmayyy said:
i cant believe i am actually begging for costello to make a comeback
If Costello does make a comeback when the party is basically in ruins, I'd never vote for him.

It's now or never for him IMO.

jimmayyy

HSC
i want some glorious prodigical son return of the howard era comeback on tomorrows early news please god

but i agree, now or never.

jimmayyy

HSC
maybe he thinks he can win back some of the more rightish labor vote with a new leftish liberal platfoorm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)