Rudd's cabinet (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
smh.com.au said:
Kevin Rudd has promoted Stephen Smith to Foreign Affairs minister while his deputy, Julia Gillard, will be Minister for both Education and Industrial Relations.

The first Rudd cabinet will include former lawyer Robert McClelland as Attorney-General. The former NSW Attorney-General, Bob Debus, will move straight into the ministry and oversee domestic law enforcement as Minister for Home Affairs.

Maxine McKew will be a parliamentary secretary to the Prime Minister.

Former ACTU head Greg Combet and new MP for Eden-Monaro Mike Kelly will be a parliamentary secretary for defence.

Peter Garrett will remain Environment Minister and will take on heritage and the arts, but will hand responsibility for tackling global warming to Penny Wong, who takes on climate change and water and will attend the UN conference in Bali.

Antony Albanese, the former spokesman for water, will be Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development.

Ms Gillard will now be required to usher in Mr Rudd's so-called education revolution while overseeing the dismantling of the WorkChoices legislation.

Former Labor leader Simon Crean has kept responsibility for trade and Nicola Roxon keeps health.

Mr Rudd described his cabinet as "a fresh team with fresh ideas". The ministers are likely to be sworn in on Monday.

"Julia Gillard is a first class human being with a first class mind," he said.

Former deputy leader Jenny Macklin will be Minister for Family Community and Indigenous Affairs. Tanya Plibersek will be Minister for Housing.

Laurie Ferguson, Kate Lundy, Jan McLucas, Kerry O'Brien and Arch Bevis have all been dropped from cabinet.

Kim Carr will be Minister for Science and Marin Ferguson will be Minister for Tourism. Tony Burke, formerly immigration spokesman, will be Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.

Craig Emerson keeps small business and Nick Sherry will be Minister for Superannuation and Corporate Law. Joe Ludwig, the former shadow Attorney-General, will be Minister for Human Services.

Mr Smith, the former education spokesman, takes over foreign affairs from Mr McClelland.

As announced during the campaign, Wayne Swan will be Treasurer and Lindsay Tanner will be Finance Minister and will also be Minister for Business Deregulation.

Joel Fitzgibbon will stay on in defence.

Other new ministers - all in junior posts - are Kate Ellis, Minister for Youth and Sport, Justine Elliot, Warren Snowdon and Brendan O'Connor, who will be Minister for Workforce Participation.

Stephen Conroy enters cabinet as Minister for Communications, Broadband and the Digital Economy.

The big loser was Bob McMullan, one of few former ministers, who was in the Keating cabinet but has not made it into Kevin Rudd's. He will be a parliamentary secretary.

"I'm proud of the fact that we have a woman as deputy Prime Minister. We will have 4 women in cabinet.

"These women are in these positions because they have worked their guts out."

John Faulkner, the ALP national president who was closely involved in the election campaign, goes straight into the ministry as Special Minister of State.

Mr Rudd said he had broken with Labor conventions and hand-picked his cabinet without consulting the party's factions.

"Since Julia and I first became leader and deputy, I dont think either of us have been near such a [faction] meeting," he said.

"It has not even been frankly relevant to my considerations. I have looked for the best team possible. Part of modernising the Labor party is putting all that stuff behind us."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rudd-picks-new-team/2007/11/29/1196037032972.html

Kinda surprising that Gillard got education imo.

Kevin Rudd

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
FIRST RUDD MINISTRY 2007-

CABINET
Kevin Rudd - Prime Minister
Julia Gillard - Deputy Prime Minister, Minister for Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
Wayne Swan - Treasurer
Stephen Smith - Minister for Foreign Affairs
Joel Fitzgibbon - Minister for Defence
Robert McClelland - Attorney-General
Lindsay Tanner - Minister for Finance
Peter Garrett - Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts
Penny Wong - Minister for Climate Change and Water
Simon Crean - Minister for Trade
Nicola Roxon - Minister for Health and Ageing
Anthony Albanese - Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government
Kim Carr - Minister for Innovation, Industry, Science and Research
Martin Ferguson - Minister for Resources, Energy and Tourism
Tony Burke - Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Jenny Macklin - Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
Chris Evans - Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Government Senate leader
Stephen Conroy - Broadband, Communications and the Digital economy
John Faulkner - Special Minister for State, Cabinet Secretary

OUTER MINISTRY
Nick Sherry - Minster for Superannuation and Corporate Law
Craig Emerson - Minister for Small Business, Independent Contractors and the Service Economy; Minister Assisting the Finance Minister on business deregulation
Brendan O'Connor - Minister for Workforce Participation
Tanya Plibersek - Minister for Housing and the Status of Women
Joseph Ludwig - Minister for Human Services; Manager for Government Business in the Senate
Bob Debus - Minister for Home Affairs
Alan Griffin - Minister for Veterans Affairs
Warren Snowdon - Minister for Defence and Science Personnel
Justine Elliott - Minister for Ageing
Kate Ellis - Minister for Youth and Sport

PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARIES
Maxine McKew - Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister
Greg Combet - Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence
Bill Shorten - Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
Mike Kelly - Parliamentary Secretary for Defence
Gary Gray - Parliament Secretary to the Minister for Infrastructure, with responsibility for northern and regional Australia
Bob McMullan - Parliamentary Secretary for International Development Assistance
Duncan Kerr - Parliamentary Secretary for the Pacific
Laurie Ferguson - Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs and Settelment Programs
Ursula Stephens - Parliamentary Secretary for Social Inclusion
Anthony Byrne - Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister
John Murphy - Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Trade

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Gillard's been given a lot... She seems a very capable woman, but I hope these two huge portfolio's don't burn her out.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I hate Penny Wong so, so much

jimmayyy

HSC
Julia Gillard - Deputy Prime Minister, Minister for Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
and Greg Combet having anything to do with Defence?

good god we are doomed.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Gillard has too much, in my opinion- even the press at the announcement were making that point, and most of them have probably watched enough government to know about that kind of thing. I think this may backfire badly on Rudd.

Go Stephen Smith!

Oh and I want that hour back of my life.. did he really have to say 20 nice things about each minister as he mentioned them?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Greg Combet is pretty good, man. I remember my Extension English teacher raving about him, lol.

One of the better Union people IMO.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
It's far from perfect. :mad1:

I could list about 100 different issues with labour policies and cabinet. Like the fact that we'll have a navy ship defending oil in the Persian Gulf (other side of the bloody world). Rather than our own borders.

Still though. It's much, much better than any Howard cabinet.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Conroy, Macklin, Ferguson and Carr in the cabinet? Who ever said the factions have no influence any more?

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
sam04u said:
What do you know about Stephen Smith?
Only as much as I've seen him speaking, debating, and presenting, and he seems to be a pretty intelligent dude. Other than that, not much, and I am prepared to be proven wrong.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
jimmayyy said:
Well, at the end of it, Howard's Ministers were completely untrustworthy and pretty much all needed to be sacked. They each had so much dirt on them.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
Conroy, Macklin, Ferguson and Carr in the cabinet? Who ever said the factions have no influence any more?
Well statistically, you'd kinda expect a good deal of members from various factions there anyway, right?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Well statistically, you'd kinda expect a good deal of members from various factions there anyway, right?
Yeah but the former two are incompetent, the latter two are thugs, and three of them have only ever been in any ministry (shadow or otherwise) because of their status as factional warlords.

I mean it'd be like if Howard promoted Heffers to the front bench.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
brogan77 said:
Steve Smith is one of the few Labor party politicians I like.
What do you know about Stephen Smith?

HSC
I love it how Garrett still has the "Environment" portfolio, but Rudd handed over the important part of that portfolio (water anc CC) to someone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)