$1bn 'not sorry enough' - Aboriginal leaders (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
ABORIGINAL leaders have rallied behind a push for huge compensation for the Stolen Generations, but a former indigenous adviser to the Howard government has warned that the Rudd Government must not be dragged back into issues of "toxic symbolism".

While the Federal Government has attempted to sidestep the issue of compensation for the Stolen Generations, Aboriginal academics Boni Robertson and Gracelyn Smallwood yesterday upped the ante, saying it should be much higher than the $1 billion suggested by lawyer Michael Mansell.

Professor Robertson said $1billion was "really quite minimal" and "just a starting point", while Ms Smallwood said it would be "very generous to the Government" and should be double or triple that amount.

Apology not enough

"It's very simple," Ms Smallwood told The Australian. "You can't just apologise, you've got to mean it and the only way to prove that is through compensation. You can't reconcile without it."

As the Rudd Government moves towards a national apology, Wesley Aird, a member of the Howard government's hand-picked National Indigenous Council, warned Labor against being dragged back into "toxic symbolism", and said some Aboriginal leaders now seeking to re-engage with government had presided over "an era of hopelesseness".

"I don't believe anyone is going to have a better life just because the Government says sorry," Mr Aird said.

Indigenous Affairs Minister Jenny Macklin met members of the NIC last week. She said yesterday its role was "still being considered". At the meeting, Sue Gordon, who has chaired both the council and the Northern Territory intervention taskforce, urged the Government to make a broad apology to all of those affected by the removal of Aboriginal children - not just to the children who were removed.

"If there's going to be an apology, I didn't want sorry to me, I wanted it to my mother and my brother who saw me taken away and looked for me," Ms Gordon said. "It's all those people who need to be part of it."

She urged the Government to consult widely on the wording of the apology, but said it was important not to get "hung up onwords".

Cruel and evil

Jackie Huggins, the former co-chair of Reconciliation Australia, said the word "sorry" was essential and the words "cruel" and "evil" - as used in a Canadian apology to indigenous children taken from their families - were appropriate.

Former prime minister Malcolm Fraser said an apology needed to recognise that the policy of child removal based on race was "disastrously wrong and terrible".

He said compensation needed to be discussed, but thought the priority should be in redressing the "gross and irresponsible massive underspending on health, housing and education".

Mr Fraser also took aim at dissident historian Keith Windschuttle, who maintains the Stolen Generations are a "fiction". The former Liberal leader said that Territory ordinances and documents dating back to 1911 gave "total confirmation that it was a designed and deliberate act of policy".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22939997-421,00.html

:mad:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
$1bn isn't enough.
We should really make an effort and give no less than 50% of Australias GDP to indigenous Australians. In all seriousness, our welfare system is horrible. We should tax the white man more and distribute wealth based on nothng other than ethnicity. It is the only fair way for us to apologise.

LOL:

"You can't just apologise, you've got to mean it and the only way to prove that is through compensation. You can't reconcile without it."
-Aboriginal Academic (oxymoron) Gracelyn Smallwood

$$$$$$$$$

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
take a stab at how much commission she gets for saying that shit.

i said it all along, it was never about saying 'sorry' and the apologetic principle - it's about money and nothing else. i can't stand this any longer, how much do they really want? when are they going to shut up about this reconciliation crap?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
What are they going to do with a billion dollars?

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
Oh god, Don't give them any money at fucking all. They are freeloaders and always will be a burden on our economy if THEY don't get off their fucking asses. No I'm not conforming to the just-world phenom logical error, I'm just saying, they are being fucking greedy when (I KNOW NOT THE MAIN PROBLEM) but a big part of it is that the fucking petrol lovers are unmotivated on their own volition.

Rise above the stigma and make a living you fucking abos. I had an abo taxi driver the other day, yeah, an abo with a job. It's not fucking impossible for these bastards. We shouldn't give them shit. They chuck up this big fucking stink about an apology and it turns out (which was obvious anyway) that it's just all about money and greed.

Hey death is worse than being stolen away from your family and given a chance to still live a life. HOW ABOUT WE TAKE EVERYONE THAT HAS EVER HAD A ANCESTOR DIE AND GIVE THEM A HUNDRED KATRILLION DOLLARS.

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Oi and nebuchanezzar don't agree with matt, you should be like 'yay abos are getting our money for pracitically nothing at all because i voted for a shit fucking party and then gloated about it incessantly'

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
"At the meeting, Sue Gordon, who has chaired both the council and the Northern Territory intervention taskforce, urged the Government to make a broad apology to all of those affected by the removal of Aboriginal children - not just to the children who were removed."

HEY I WAS AFFECTED BY THE STOLEN GENERATION TOO, I HAD TO LEARN ABOUT IT IN HIGH SCHOOL WHICH ANNOYED ME AND THAT TIME COULD HAVE BEEN SPENT LEARNING SOMETHING MORE USEFUL

GIVE ME A BILLION DOLLARS MR RUDD PLZ

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I don't know about the stolen generation, but I think the stolen wages are a huge injustice and blight on our history.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
brogan77 said:
Because the opinions of a few should be taken as the opinions of an entire ethinicity...:rolleyes:

hey mang if you want to make a hyperbolic statement suggesting that I'm really serious then I'm allowed to make hyperbolic statements too.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Some filthy savage said:
If there's going to be an apology, I didn't want sorry to me, I wanted it to my mother and my brother who saw me taken away and looked for me," Ms Gordon said. "It's all those people who need to be part of it.
Well that's just awesome, I would like it if the people who were actually responsible for you being taken away were the ones that had to apologise.
But they can't, because they're fucking dead.

I guess we can't have it all, right?

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
and where the fuck did i say anything about a biological pre-disposition. It is never a race-based judgement, it has more to do with culture than race. If I went and associated with the general inhabitants of redfern, adopted their ideals, expectancies, values, their culture, I would probably end up sniffing petrol as well.

There is outlets for the indigeneous to rise above their stigma (EDIT: to a degree), generally it seems like they choose not to. I realise how hard it is for them, but that's not a problem money is going to fix, it's a problem that attitude of both them and 'us' is going to fix.

The kind of reperation 'they' are actually expecting of the government is stupid.

Again, I was affected by the stolen generation, now give me money Mr Rudd.

remember to clean up after you finish wanking ash.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)