Obama, Huckabee win first vote (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
HILLARY Clinton is on course for a damaging result and Rudy Giuliani is lagging behind his rivals in the first real test of support for the candidates vying to become the next US president.

Barack Obama has been named as the winner in the Democratic race in the Iowa caucuses, while former Arkansas governor and Baptist preacher Mike Huckabee has won the state's Republican race.

Former senator and 2004 vice-presidential candidate John Edwards was in second place on the Democratic side, just a handful of votes ahead of senator Clinton as counting continued. A third place finish would be a real problem for senator Clinton, who was the frontrunner for much of 2007.

In the Republican race, Mr Huckabee won 34 per cent support to place well ahead of his party rivals. Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney was in second place with 25 per cent while former senator Fred Thompson had come from the edge of campaign oblivion to be placed third (14 per cent).

While there is nothing technically preventing candidates who poll poorly in Iowa from continuing on in the race, early disappointment usually send donors running to the frontrunners, making it virtually impossible for campaigns to stay alive.

The Republican frontrunner in the next contest - in New Hampshire on Tuesday - senator John McCain, was fourth with 13 per cent support while former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani was sixth.

If senator Obama wins in New Hampshire, he would be virtually unstoppable in the race to his party's nomination for the presidential election, which takes place in November.

Multimedia Package Clooney, Clint help explain how it all works »
Interactive Who would Australia choose if we had a vote? »

Mr Giuliani's strategy had focused most attention on late-voting states such as Florida, before he started devoting more time to the earlier states.

Correspondents at the caucuses around Iowa had reported that Mr Edwards was lagging behind senator Clinton and senator Obama when voters entering the meetings were asked who they supported.

Conceding defeat, Mr Romney said he would fight on despite piling millions of dollars into Iowa.

"I'm looking for the gold or the silver ... I'm going to continue battling and I will get the nomination. Congratulations to Mike and we'll go on to New Hampshire," Mr Romney said on Fox News.

The 2008 campaign is the most open presidential race in more than 50 years, with no sitting president or vice president seeking their party's nomination.

Iowa's opening contest in the nominating battle has traditionally served to narrow the presidential field of no-hopers and elevate some surprise contenders.

Record turnout had been expected for the Democrats, surpassing the 124,000 Iowans who participated in 2004. Republicans could challenge their record of 87,000 caucus participants in 2000.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23005831-5012572,00.html

HalcyonSky

HSC
god i hate the way americans vote, its basically a religious popularity contest. fox was asking people why theyre going to vote for who they are, and most of the people for huckabee quoted "I like his beliefs", "I like his personality", "He seems like he has good values", yet drew a blank when asked about their opinion on his policies.

Now i know how Bush got into office.

Cerry

HSC
wuddie said:
'cause he's black?
Can you imagine what a kick in the balls it would be for some Americans to have a black president? I think it'd do wonders for the country. Plus, from what I've heard, he actually seems to have some idea what he's on about.

jimmayyy

HSC
and lets face it, like him or not, the man is fucking charismatic as they come.

Muz4PM

HSC
Cerry said:
Can you imagine what a kick in the balls it would be for some Americans to have a black president?
I think that is why some Democrats may have qualms about Obama, his popularity in the deep south, because he is black, some are probably still pissed they lost the Civil War. I am not a fan of Obama, or the Democrats, but I will give him something, he has charisma and he seems to be able to connect to the average punter in the street, something that I think he shares with Huckabee. Their main rivals, Clinton and Romney apparently seem to come across as a little aloof, unable to portray the image that they know what it is like to be scraping it together week to week.

I will be interested to see what affect Giuliani will have on the race. He basically ignored Iowa and has targeted New Hampshire and other large states. I wonder who he will hurt? Romney maybe as they seem to appeal to the same crowd. Huckabee and Thompson seem to have the Christian Right in their corner.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i don't understand american politics or their voting system to be quite honest. all i have to say about it is that huckabee is the most lol-worthy name i have heard in a while...lol.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
wuddie said:
'cause he's black?

i like him, not because he's black but he's probably more elite compared to the rest, especially clinton, she reminds me of a old lady working at meals on wheels community centre, doing the same old thing, over and over, apart from him, ron paul would also be a good president, but the media hardly cover his moves or pay any attention to him.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
American roommate told me Obama was trained by Al qaeda. Seriously. She's not the only one who thinks so.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
jimmayyy said:
and lets face it, like him or not, the man is fucking charismatic as they come.
Which is why I'm extremely wary of him. He ignites people's passions, which can be blinding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)