Sydney Council (Marrickville) plead for Bali Bombers (1 Viewer)

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
Sydney Morning Herald said:
An inner-Sydney council will plead with Indonesia to spare the Bali bombers less than a month before their scheduled execution.

News Limited newspapers say the left-leaning Marrickville council will write to Indonesia's government this month asking it to commute death sentences imposed on three convicted Bali bombers, whose final appeals officially failed last week, leaving them just 30 days to seek last-minute presidential clemency.
The council will also ask Indonesia to spare six Australian members of the Bali Nine, sentenced to death by firing squad for trying to smuggle 8.3 kg of heroin from Indonesia to Australia.

The move follows Amnesty International Australia's recent bid to save the Bali bombers. To defend its position, the organisation cited its universal opposition to capital punishment.

In a motion passed at its last meeting, by four votes to three, with five Labor councillors abstaining, Marrickville Council resolved to urge Indonesia's participation in a UN moratorium on executions.

Greens councillor Colin Hesse, who proposed the motion, said he did not do so out of sympathy for the Bali bombers, whose attack killed 202 people.
"I'm against the death penalty and, in that sense, I'm in line with every mainstream political party in Australia," News Limited quoted Mr Hesse as saying.

"There's no doubt in my mind that we have to be consistent - if we don't urge them to commute the sentences of the Bali bombers then the Bali Nine will meet their deaths, as well."

Marrickville's stand aligns it with human-rights groups and the Catholic Church, which also called for an end to the death penalty last week, including for terrorists like the Bali bombers.

However, it angered survivors of the 2002 attacks, who are hoping a definitive conclusion to the drawn-out legal process will finally bring peace to families of the dead.

Coogee Dolphins Rugby League Club secretary Mal Ward, who lost six friends in the attack, said Marrickville councillors should stick to local government.

"Obviously, these people haven't lost a brother or a child - obviously they haven't been affected by it because they wouldn't be doing it if they had."
Fellow Coogee Dolphin Erik de Haart said he accepted the council's right to express a view but questioned whether Indonesia's prison system would ever truly punish the bombers. "If they get life sentences instead, how long are they going to stay in jail? I think the only way we are going to get justice is if these guys get killed," he said.

LINK

Fair? Should council intervene with international affairs? lol Green Party?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
2syllables said:
Should council intervene with international affairs? lol Green Party?
This just in: otherwise hardline and unrepenting Indonesian government finally decides to abolish death penalty due to a letter from a local council :rolleyes:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Did anyone see that bogan on Channel Nine news calling for blood like it would bring back his son.

Jesus Christ Australians are so pathetically fucking stupid.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
The federal government should hold the same position.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yes it would be nice for the new government to have a bit of consistency (and hence legitimacy) on this issue.

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
This just in: otherwise hardline and unrepenting Indonesian government finally decides to abolish death penalty due to a letter from a local council :rolleyes:
u freakin serious or are u pulling my leg, let me check! linky would help me

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
jb_nc said:
Did anyone see that bogan on Channel Nine news calling for blood like it would bring back his son.

lol yea well u cant do anything about it, ur last comment is debatable

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
jb_nc said:
Well why don't you go to another country then? I'm sure they'd love to have you in Iraq. :)

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
Well why don't you go to another country then? I'm sure they'd love to have you in Iraq. :)
LOVE IT OR GET OUT

SUPPORT DA TROOPS

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
jb_nc said:
LOVE IT OR GET OUT

SUPPORT DA TROOPS
Yeah, since you hate Australians so much, why not join Al'Quaeda?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
Yeah, since you hate Australians so much, why not join Al'Quaeda?
Oh right because al-Qaeda hates freedom and Australians.

which neo-con think tank did you pull that one from

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i think it's an admirable position to take, espescially given the negative publicity it will generate

but i applaud them, given that I dont support the death penalty in any way, shape, or form.

banco55

HSC
jb_nc said:

Yeah what a lowlife scumbag. He should have responded with more class and sophistication to his son being reduced to smithereens by a bunch of islamist savages. I'm sure you'd respond to say your mum being gang raped by trying to understand the deprived lives the rapists had and testify in their defense at the sentencing.

Last edited:

sthcross.dude

HSC
banco55 said:
Yeah what a lowlife scumbag. He should have responded with more class and sophistication to his son being reduced to smithereens by a bunch of islamist savages. I'm sure you'd respond to say your mum being gang raped by trying to understand the deprived lives the rapists had and testify in their defense at the sentencing.
Maybe the terrorists that killed his son felt outraged at their treatment by the west.

But its still not an excuse. The point is, in civilised society we dont kill people for revenge.

banco55

HSC
sthcross.dude said:
Maybe the terrorists that killed his son felt outraged at their treatment by the west.

But its still not an excuse. The point is, in civilised society we dont kill people for revenge.
You can be against the death penalty as a philosophical matter and still understand that the desire for revenge after you've had a loved one taken from you is a perfectly human reaction.

sthcross.dude

HSC
banco55 said:
You can be against the death penalty as a philosophical matter and still understand that the desire for revenge after you've had a loved one taken from you is a perfectly human reaction.
and your reaction can be understandable but you can still be a stupid bogan.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
banco55 said:
Yup... but we have to ask more of people than their natural urges sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)