PETA Killed 97% Of Rescued Animals (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Death toll up to 17,400; overdue report describes PETA's deadliest year ever

WASHINGTON, Jan. 10 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- An official report from People for The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), submitted nine months after a Virginia government agency's deadline, shows that the animal rights group put to death more than 97 percent of the dogs, cats, and other pets it took in for adoption in 2006. During that year, the well-known animal rights group managed to find adoptive homes for just 12 pets. The nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) is calling on PETA to either end its hypocritical angel-of-death program, or stop its senseless condemnation of Americans who believe it's perfectly ethical to use animals for food, clothing, and critical medical research.

Not counting animals PETA held only temporarily in its spay-neuter program, the organization took in 3,061 "companion animals" in 2006, of which it killed 2,981. According to Virginia's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS), the average euthanasia rate for humane societies in the state was just 34.7 percent in 2006. PETA killed 97.4 percent of the animals it took in. The organization filed its 2006 report this month, nine months after the VDACS deadline of March 31, 2007.

"Pet lovers should be outraged," said CCF Director of Research David Martosko. "There are thousands of worthwhile animal shelters that deserve Americans' support. PETA is not one of them."

In courtroom testimony last year, a PETA manager acknowledged that her organization maintains a large walk-in freezer for storing dead animals, and that PETA contracts with a Virginia cremation service to dispose of the bodies. In that trial, two PETA employees were convicted of dumping dead animals in a rural North Carolina trash dumpster.

Today in Southampton County, Virginia, another PETA employee will face felony charges in a dog-napping case. Andrea Florence Benoit Harris was arrested in late 2006 for allegedly abducting a hunting dog and attempting to transport it to PETA's Norfolk headquarters.

"PETA raised over $30 million last year," Martosko added, "and it's using that money to kill the only flesh-and-blood animals its employees actually see. The scale of PETA's hypocrisy is simply staggering."

To speak with a spokesman contact Tim Miller at 202-463-7112.

For more information about PETA's massive euthanasia program, visit

http://www.PetaKillsAnimals.com.

Article:
http://sev.prnewswire.com/publishing-information-services/20080111/DC1129510012008-1.html

So much for saving animals.

HSC
Ahhh...PETA. Good ol' PETA, always there for when you need a group to bash. So...who wants to start? I remember there was a Penn and Teller episode floating on the net somewhere

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
that's bizarre. maybe its because they're SO concerned about "animal rights" that they look on anything other than perfect health as a sign of unbearable cruelty suffered, meaning the animal should be put out of its misery. i can see it now. "oh my god this poor puppy has a slight scratch above one eye, i dont think its fair to him to make him carry on in such awful pain. pass me the Doggy Heaven euthanasia kit, stat."

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
I was thinking of putting this up in the Greenpeace thread when I first read it but didn't think it was relevant enough.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You know, at least the skin of the beef I eat is used for the leather I wear.

Waste not, want not.

flappinghippo

HSC
fnkychk said:
If you want to hate PETA, then fine, but not for something like this.
Read the title: PETA (People for The Ethical Treatment of Animals) killed 97% of Rescued Animals

Basically:

PETA Animal Rescue = Search and Destroy

And then they try to dump them in a trash dumpster.

Using donated money.

.. yeah I think that's grounds for hating them.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Americans. What do you expect?
Also, this has nothing to do with any of us. Why do we give a fuck?

bassistx

HSC
Although I was extremely saddened (and could not sleep for weeks) after I had found out about this (and watched shocking videos on YouTube) last year, I was re-assured by a vegan friend of mine who volunteers with Animal Liberation NSW. The Centre for Consumer Freedom bags out just about every single organization with ethical and/or social-oriented objectives. What happened with PETA was 2 employees euthanised animals too early (they are meant to be kept for 5 days at least and if they are not taken, then they are euthanised to cut costs). There was a court case about this (as explained in the links previously posted).

Although I don't agree with euthanisa, I think PETA got a pretty bad beating it didn't deserve. PETA does awesome work. Let's think of that. This is not to say that I support them 100%. But I might use some of their articles or footage to educate people about animal cruelty. That's about it. I wouldn't endorse them, they're merely an educational resource for me. At least, I trust them from that perspective.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bassistx said:
(they are meant to be kept for 5 days at least and if they are not taken, then they are euthanised to cut costs)
err that strikes me as a bit cruel, financial issues or not...as if you're going to be able to find a home for many animals in five days. when our cat had kittens it took us like 4 months to find homes for them, and they were perfectly healthy and unabused and awesome. five days is unrealistic, and the animals deserve to live, ffs.

bassistx

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
err that strikes me as a bit cruel, financial issues or not...as if you're going to be able to find a home for many animals in five days. when our cat had kittens it took us like 4 months to find homes for them, and they were perfectly healthy and unabused and awesome. five days is unrealistic, and the animals deserve to live, ffs.
I agree. But they take thousands, if not millions of animals each year. And when people read such propaganda against them and stop donating, then they have to do something. They can't let them go back out again. That just defeats the purpose of collecting them in the first place. You can't have animals without owners running around. It's a nuisance.

FYI, the RSPCA also euthanises.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)