YET Another silly Global Warming news: Global warming to impact health (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Rises in temperature produced by global warming could result in an increase in the number of people being admitted to hospital with kidney disease, heart disease and mental illness in Australian cities, a new study has found.

The study, by a team of academics and senior health professionals from across the country, compared the number of hospital admissions, ambulance trips and the deaths in Adelaide during heat waves, with those in normal weather conditions.

The heat waves - defined as a periods of three days or more in which the average temperature exceeded 35 degrees - produced a seven per cent increase in admissions to hospital and a four per cent increase in ambulance trips.

The number of people admitted for kidney disease increased by 17 per cent, and the number admitted for mental illness increased by seven per cent.

One of the researchers, Professor Kevin Parton from Charles Sturt University, said the study had the potential to assist Australia's health service's in planning for the future impacts of global warming.

"The kind of effects we saw in Adelaide would be broadly generalisable to other cities throughout Australia," Professor Parton said.

"As the planet warms, we will see more of these heatwave events and the health effects that come with them."

Professor Parton said that global warming might also bring a significant increase in previously uncommon diseases such as Dengue and Ross River fever to Australia's rural communities, where temperature increases were expected to be more dramatic.

"As 'vectors' that support and carry diseases, such as air, water, and organic movement, shift in response to climate change, so too will health problems," Professor Parton said.

"We could see both a worsening of existing diseases as well as the spread of diseases usually associated with warmer regions, such as Ross River and Barmah Forest viral infections, to more temperate zones."

"This research will assist the health services in planning ahead for the increase in demand that - sooner or later - they will be facing."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environm...ct-health-study/2008/01/15/1200159443909.html
bla, don't they realise people are becoming more lazy to exercise, not the weather changing them.

HalcyonSky

HSC
hospital admissions go up during heatwaves? wow that is really interesting, 5 stars for the tip top research

historykidd

HSC
chicky_pie said:
bla, don't they realise people are becoming more lazy to exercise, not the weather changing them.
I'm embarrassed enough for you, love.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
chicky_pie said:
i know, i'm bringing you down with me :lol:
In that you have no idea what you are talking about!

For the record, in case my many posts in various science/religion related threads were mistaken, I am indeed atheist.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
ccc123 said:
Lolz. As if you do. Did you know the Global Warming 'theory' was initiated in the Thatcher period?
Thanks.

Tell us more about climate change along with your HSC year.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
ccc123 said:
Did you know the Global Warming 'theory' was initiated in the Thatcher period?
Who cares?
WTF does how old the theory is have to do with anything?
You contribute nothing to this thread.

ccc123

HSC
Graney said:
Who cares?
WTF does how old the theory is have to do with anything?
You contribute nothing to this thread.
Its got nothing to do with how old the theory is, you missed the point completely. The point is, it was initiated by political figures, not scientists.

ccc123

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Well, lets see.

You: HSC student who hasn't done any science since year 10 (and boy is that basic);
Me: Third year marine science student, which involves in-depth study into biology, geology, oceanography, related climate science, coral reef ecology, etc etc.

I would say that I am more qualified to make educated comments on the subject of global warming.

Oh and also, if we didn't have global warming, the Earth would be an iceball. The term you are looking for is 'anthropogenic climate change'.

-Kwayera, who is too lazy to log out of Dan's account.
*I don't need to be taking science at uni to recognise global warming as a politically, rather than scientifically, fuelled theory.

* "Oh, and also, if we didn't have global warming, the earth would be an iceball" - I never disputed the phenomenon of global warming itself, I just have doubts that its as excessive, or dependent on Co2 as some suggest.

*"The term you are looking for is anthopologic climate change" -Pfft. Anthropological global warming is acceptable terminology too, especially for someone as allegedly scientifically challenged as myself.

*All you've done is attempt to attack my credibility and vindicate your status as an educated and superior mind of science. You've not said anything remotely convincing.

fantabulous

HSC
ccc123 said:
*I don't need to be taking science at uni to recognise global warming as a politically, rather than scientifically, fuelled theory.
ccc123 said:

* "Oh, and also, if we didn't have global warming, the earth would be an iceball" - I never disputed the phenomenon of global warming itself, I just have doubts that its as excessive, or dependent on Co2 as some suggest.

*"The term you are looking for is anthopologic climate change" -Pfft. Anthropological global warming is acceptable terminology too, especially for someone as allegedly scientifically challenged as myself.

*All you've done is attempt to attack my credibility and vindicate your status as an educated and superior mind of science. You've not said anything remotely convincing.

Woooh, its a miracle! I actually agree with you, ccc123! You can't deny the politicisation of GW, because its true.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
ccc123 said:
It's actually both.

You lose.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
ccc123 said:
Its got nothing to do with how old the theory is, you missed the point completely. The point is, it was initiated by political figures, not scientists.
Actually, it existed back to the 70's or earlier. It doesn't really matter. It may have been tenous when Thatcher popularised it, but the whole scientific reality today owe's nothing to the 70's or Political manipulation.

The political and business reality today would support the denial of anthropogenic global warming. Exactly as Howard was doing. Science, and political/business interests are tense on this issue.
A political conspiracy to promote global warming is irrational.

Read "The Weather Makers" by Tim Flannery. All round great bloke. I won't bother posting more, because nothing could be as elegant and engaging as this book. It should at least sow concern in anyones mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)