Federal ALP shoots down the metro (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
www.smh.com.au said:
THE Federal Government has told NSW not to bother asking for funds for the $12 billion North West Metro project because there are no federal Labor votes in it.

The Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, and the Treasurer, Wayne Swan, told a meeting in February involving the former premier, Morris Iemma, and senior state bureaucrats that they were not interested in the rail project because Labor had no marginal seats in the area it would service, senior NSW sources said.

The revelation comes as Mr Rudd is scheduled to deliver a speech in Brisbane today in which he will stress that decisions on financing projects out of the $20 billion Building Australia fund will be made on merit.

Canberra's reluctance to advance funds could effectively kill off or severely delay the metro project. The State Government has been noticeably silent on the prospects for federal funding for the scheme since February, despite Mr Rudd making it clear Canberra is keen to make the $20 billion in infrastructure money available to the states.

Mr Iemma announced details of the metro plan in March without discussing federal funding. His successor, Nathan Rees, has left the metro off NSW's wish list of four transport "priorities" it has sent to Infrastructure Australia for Commonwealth funding.

The top priorities, released by Mr Rees's office yesterday, are the West Metro, at an estimated cost of $10 billion, and the M4 extension, at $5.5 billion.

The second priority list contains the M4 port/airport link extension ($3.6 billion) and the M5 expansion ($2 billion). Next comes the Northern Sydney Freight Corridor ($3.1 billion) and the F3 to M2 link ($4.1 billion).

The fourth list contains the F3 to Branxton corridor ($1.3 billion), a Pacific Highway upgrade ($9.6 billion) and Princes Highway improvements ($1.2 billion).

Mr Rees has repeatedly refused to guarantee the future of the North West Metro since becoming Premier on September 5. With a cost-cutting mini-budget due on November 11, he has made it clear his Government is intent on winding back infrastructure plans.

State sources have told the Herald that Mr Rudd and Mr Swan were "very cool" in the February meeting on the idea of a North West Metro. The meeting was to set the parameters on what the NSW Government would ask for.

One of those at the February meeting said: "Swan came in and had the same arguments as our Treasury - [he said] there's no real [population in the north-west] yet … surely the main western line is [more pressing]."

Another source said Mr Swan had made it clear there were "no votes" in the north-west.

"The Prime Minister's obsession was with the south-west and the M5 corridor," a State Government source said of the meeting.

Last night Mr Rudd's office referred the Herald to the Infrastructure Minister, Anthony Albanese, who denied marginal seat considerations had any bearing on the Rudd Government's decision on which projects it would give priority to. "It's just a lie," he said. Asked why NSW had not included the North West Metro on its wish list, he said: "I have no idea. You'd have to ask them. I haven't seen the list, mate. It's their list, not mine. Infrastructure Australia will be making objective criteria [for approving projects]. I know that's hard for you to [accept]."

A spokesman for Mr Rees, Alex Cramb, said the North West Metro was not included because the State Government had already announced it was going ahead with the project in March, when it said it and the private sector would fund it.

"The North West Metro is excluded from that in the first round because it's deemed to be fully funded by the Government," he said.

"That hasn't changed yet because at the moment the budget process isn't complete.

"It doesn't spell the end of the North West Metro except to say it's still part of the mini-budget process."
You said that you were going to end it, Rudd! You promised me that you were going to bring an end to this nonsense! Instead I find you snubbing a vital infrastructure development because of the votes! It's Howard all over again. Oh God!

I'm pretty upset to I wrote a haiku

Rudd said no moar crap
now we see douchebagery
rudd can suck my cock

Last edited:
HSC
Re: Federal ALP snubs metro because of general douchebagery and cuntishness

You can't say kant in the title of a topic. Sir Iron will ban you

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC

labor are clearly just looking after the people

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC

how surprising.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A

douchebagery...

I like that word

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

ONLY SERIOUS ANTI ALP RESPONSES NEED APPLY

kthxbai

EDIT: Modz will edit the title if need be, obviously. I wasn't aware of the rules! Have mercy Thatcher! Have mercy!

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC

Nebuchanezzar, i thought you lived in camden? why the fuck do you care! your taking this a bit too personal.

HSC

I live near where the metro is meant to go, and nobody I've met seems very interested in it.

Ruddles' judgement is as perfect as ever.

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
Rudd said no moar crap
now we see douchebagery
rudd can suck my cock
I feel your pain. But on a similar political issue why keep putting money into sydney?

Two years ago you almost emplied your water catchments and now it looks like you're in need of 14 Lane Cove tunnels every year...

Why not encourage people to move somewhere else?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

The problem isn't the specifics, it's the general attitude of the Federal Government: There are no votes here, let's ignore this. The same reason they haven't upgraded the Spit Bridge, from what I hear, and it's a fucking joke and makes our system of governance look like a piece of shit.

EDIT: Building more roads is a dumb idea. Encourage the use of public transport for God's sake. Another reason why this short sightedness pisses me off.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

As I said, Rudd is uncomfortably authoritarian. But there is 3 years to go yet and I plan to see where he leads us before jumping to conclusions.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC

Silver Persian said:
I live near where the metro is meant to go, and nobody I've met seems very interested in it.

Ruddles' judgement is as perfect as ever.
lol, how do you travel to the city? how long does it take to get to the city in a car and public transport?

jewoneimon

HSC

pfft why it matter if rudd give the cash?

nsw gov. so slow that they probably spend most of it getting nowhere then cancel it with no one benefiting, just like that t-card crap.

HSC

bigboyjames said:
lol, how do you travel to the city? how long does it take to get to the city in a car and public transport?
40 mins on a bus :(

It is annoyingly long I suppose...

But as the poster above said, I don't have any confidence that anything the NSW labor government plans would actually pan out for the better :(

HSC

Musk said:
I do i live in the 2nd most marginal nsw labor seat (Menai) :D im getting two bypasses and a bridge which already been funded for :spam:

Marginal seats, gotta love living in one

hmmm...i live in a safe liberal seat...:(

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC

Musk said:
I do i live in the 2nd most marginal nsw labor seat (Menai)
Mate, being in Menai is not a source of pride.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
As a resident of Menai you may get more but in the long run, you get less...

You're going to die young from nuclear poisoning...

lol...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Your suprised?
2. State government should fund it anyway like they promised
3. Federal government funding=NSW government not caring and stuffing around

I think it's stupid to make these decisions on votes, but thats how the system works.

Azurie

HSC
JaredR said:
As a resident of Menai you may get more but in the long run, you get less...
You're going to die young from nuclear poisoning...
lol...
Says the hunters hill resident, come on Jared man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)