Lebanon sues Israel over Falafal (1 Viewer)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Lebanese union to sue Israel for 'claiming ownership' of falafel

By DPA

A new war between Israel and Lebanon has erupted, but this time the war is not geopolitical, but rather an issue of cuisine-who has sovereignty over traditional Arab dishes and sandwiches.

The president of the Lebanese Industrialists Association Fadi Abboud, said he is preparing to file an international lawsuit against Israel for allegedly "taking the identity of some Lebanese foods" and thus violating a food copyright.

"In a way the Jewish state is trying to claim ownership of traditional Lebanese delicacies like falafel, tabouleh and hummus" Abboud said.

According to Abboud, the Lebanese are losing "tens of millions of dollars annually" because Israel is selling and marketing traditional Lebanese dishes.

"The Israelis are marketing our main food dishes as if they were Israeli dishes," he charged.

"We are working on registering all the foods and ingredients which will be submitted to the Lebanese government so it can appeal to the international courts against Israel," Abboud said.

"The Israelis are marketing such Lebanese delicacies under the same names and ingredients around the world," he added. "This is harming and causing great losses to Lebanon."

Abboud said he prepared his memo on the subject, based on the case of the Greek "feta cheese precedent" that occurred six years ago.

At the time, Greece managed to prove in international institutions that it was the "originator" of feta cheese and won the case.

According to Abboud, while Lebanon never registered the names and ingredients of its own delicacies, "it can refer to the Greece precedent since these foods are historically known as traditional Lebanese foods.

"By doing so, we are preventing Israel from stealing our main food trademarks and selling them around the world," Abboud added
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1027016.html

What are your opinions on nations claiming ownership to certain food products as a result of their cultural and historical predominance?

Should Australia claim ownership to the sausage sandwich, America, the hot dog etc?

Or is doing this a ploy: simply to control the market?

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
lol, im not having a dig at Israel, but i have always thought falafal was Lebanese. im only hearing about it being Israeli at this point in my life.

reply to my comment in the Hezbollah thread

Last edited:

MissSarajevo

HSC
under WTO rules, I think a country can claim ownership of certain product and naming rights. for example Champagne can only be called wines made from Champagne region in France although some exceptions are made , certain American wines producers are still able to call their product Champagne under WTO rules.

Similarly, Scotch Whiskey belongs to whiskey produced under certain specifiction only in Scotland.

IF Lebanon has these rights, then yes they can sue Israel for using those as theirs. They cannot sue Israel for making the same dish, but they cau sue them for using the names for trade.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
MissSarajevo said:
under WTO rules, I think a country can claim ownership of certain product and naming rights. for example Champagne can only be called wines made from Champagne region in France although some exceptions are made , certain American wines producers are still able to call their product Champagne under WTO rules.

Similarly, Scotch Whiskey belongs to whiskey produced under certain specifiction only in Scotland.

IF Lebanon has these rights, then yes they can sue Israel for using those as theirs. They cannot sue Israel for making the same dish, but they cau sue them for using the names for trade.
Champagne is the equivilent of "sparkling wine" isn't it? So in that case isn't it simply the name "Chapagne" that is "trade-marked"... It's not the concept of sparkling wine that's trade-marked...?

Azurie

HSC
Falfel has always been lebenese to me, but I don't understand why you can have ago at someone for selling a dish, fighting over owns a dish is pretty stupid to me.

ZabZu

HSC
I didnt know where falafel orginated. For the past few years ive known that it is a popular food in Israel. The region shares a lot of different dishes.

I love middle eastern food. The chicken shawarma is amazing.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Well Champagne and Scotch are fair enough, they are from specific regions. Is Falafel a place or something (I don't know)?

MissSarajevo

HSC
JaredR said:
Champagne is the equivilent of "sparkling wine" isn't it? So in that case isn't it simply the name "Chapagne" that is "trade-marked"... It's not the concept of sparkling wine that's trade-marked...?
yes its the name not the concept. Aussie producers cant call their sparkling wine champagne no matter how similar it is with the french champagne.

BTW, just looking up wikipedia shows Lebanese claim over falafal is dubious at best.

zstar

HSC
N/A
I don't know how they're going to win against a bunch of Jewish lawyers though.

That's like a pissed of kid trying to beat Mike Tyson in boxing.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
Riet said:
Well Champagne and Scotch are fair enough, they are from specific regions. Is Falafel a place or something (I don't know)?

food...

those balls.

with green crap inside.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
According to James, any fight against Israel is for the betterment of mankind. Israel has done nothing for the world, especially in the area of health...

Israelis haven't been responsible for the creation of micro-cameras swallowed as a pill nor new means of mamogram scans. Nor have they given money, time and resources to countries in dire need of aid.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Animals said:

Those. Fuck they look disgusting in that picture.
to light for falafel, i think thats the way the israels make it :lol:

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I don't know about this really. Lets not pretend this is about anything other than it is about. It's about money. Lebanon want's to export it's national dishes as it's own, and in such a case arguing that these things are "Lebanese" they could produce more money. Traditionally they are Lebanese dishes, but does that matter? I guess it mattered to the Greeks, and it matters to some people. I personally don't agree with it though.

Israel as a nation, was merely a culmination of Jews, to which there was no sole identity or culture. It's only natural for Israel to share cultures with their neighbours Lebanon. Infact Lebanese should be proud of this. Ofcourse the problem is this would be a non-issue if there was peace in the middle east. But because of the tensions, these sorts of disputes exist.

(I'm more concerned with the Lebanese water being siphoned by Israel than natural and healthy culture exchange.)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
sam04u said:
I don't know about this really. Lets not pretend this is about anything other than it is about. It's about money. Lebanon want's to export it's national dishes as it's own, and in such a case arguing that these things are "Lebanese" they could produce more money. Traditionally they are Lebanese dishes, but does that matter? I guess it mattered to the Greeks, and it matters to some people. I personally don't agree with it though.

Israel as a nation, was merely a culmination of Jews, to which there was no sole identity or culture. It's only natural for Israel to share cultures with their neighbours Lebanon. Infact Lebanese should be proud of this. Ofcourse the problem is this would be a non-issue if there was peace in the middle east. But because of the tensions, these sorts of disputes exist.

(I'm more concerned with the Lebanese water being siphoned by Israel than natural and healthy culture exchange.)
nobody cares...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)