900+ Christians flee Iraqi city after killings, threats by Muslim extremists. (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- At least 900 Christian families have fled Mosul in the past week, terrified by a series of killings and threats by Muslim extremists ordering them to convert to Islam or face possible death, officials said Saturday.

The attacks may have been prompted by Christian demonstrations ahead of provincial elections, which are to be held by the end of January, the deputy governor of Nineveh province said.

Deputy Gov. Khasro Goran said 13 Christians have been slain in the past two weeks inMosul, about 260 miles (420 kilometers) north of Baghdad. Fleeing Christians have sought refuge in monasteries and churches and with family members in other towns, an Interior Ministry official said.

The attacks began after hundreds of Christians took to the streets in Mosul and surrounding villages and towns, seeking greater representation on provincial councils, whose members will be chosen in the local elections.

Duraid Mohammed Kashmoula, Nineveh's governor, told The Associated Press that the exodus was "a major displacement."

"Of course, al Qaeda elements are behind this campaign against Christians," Kashmoula told AP.

The Interior Ministry official said the homes of three families were destroyed with explosives Saturday after the occupants left. No injuries were reported.

A week ago, leaflets were distributed in several predominantly Christian neighborhoods, threatening families to "either convert to Islam or pay the jizyah or leave the city or face death," said the Interior Ministry official.

Historically, jizyah is a tax paid by non-Muslims in exchange for protection.

Goran said that a few days after the leaflets were passed out, gunmen set up checkpoints in parts of Mosul, stopping vehicles to inspect identification papers, searching for Christian names or other signs of religious affiliation. Many of the Christians killed were targeted in this way, he said.

Bashir Azoz, 45, told AP he fled his Mosul home after gunmen warned a neighbor to leave or be killed.

"Where is the government and its security forces as these crimes take place every day?" asked Azoz, a carpenter who is staying with his wife and three children in a town about 25 miles (40 kilometers) east of Mosul, according to AP.

The Rev. Bolis Jacob, of Mosul's Mar Afram Church, told AP he couldn't understand the attacks.

"We respect the Islamic religion and the Muslim clerics," he said. "We don't know under what religion's pretexts these terrorists work."

Goran said police have set up security checkpoints in Christian neighborhoods.

In response to the violence, Iraqi Defense Minister Abdul Qader al-Obaidi visited Mosul on Saturday morning, conducting meetings with local authorities and military commanders.

His spokesman, Mohammed al-Askari, said that in addition to ordering more checkpoints in Christian neighborhoods, al-Obaidi ordered more troops deployed, additional security patrols and an increase in aerial surveillance of Christian areas.

Al-Obaidi also ordered more guards for Christian clerics, al-Askari said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/10/11/iraq.violence/index.html
I'm glad I don't pay tax for not being in a religion :)

Zingy

HSC
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- At least 900 Christian families have fled Mosul in the past week, terrified by a series of killings and threats by Muslim extremists ordering them to convert to Islam or face possible death, officials said Saturday.
This is exactly how muhammad first started spreading Islam. History repeating itself.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Why Does Radical Islam continue to oppress other religions?

Persecution of Buddhists:

Buddhists are frequent targets of radical Muslims in many parts of Asia.
In 2001, the Muslim Taliban government in Afghanistan destroyed a nearly 2,000
year-old, 165 foot statue of Buddha. This religious icon and historical masterpiece
is not replaceable and is only one of many relics destroyed by the Taliban.

Persecution of Baha'is:

The Baha'i community of Iran, with about 300,000 members, is a frequent target of
radical Muslims since the 1979 fundamentalist revolution. Many Baha'is have been
killed and many sites of religious significance, including shrines and cemeteries,
have been destroyed by the government. Baha'is are persecuted in many Muslim
countries around the world. Conversely, the Baha'i world headquarters, a large
hilltop temple and shrine, is located in Israel, where Baha'is are a respected
religious minority.

Persecution of Hindus:

Hindus have suffered under Islamic rule throughout the centuries and are often
persecuted and attacked by radical Muslims in central Asia and Indonesia. In 2002,
Muslim gunmen raided the Akshardham Temple in India and killed 30 Hindu
pilgrims who were visiting the holy shrine. Hindu regions of India have been
frequent targets for terrorist attack.

Persecution of Christians:

Christians are persecuted by Muslims in many parts of the world, including in the
West Bank under the Palestinian Authority. Though Christians made up 75% of the
Bethlehem population 60 years ago, their numbers have declined to around 10%
today. Christian residents flee Bethlehem by the hundreds every year due to
intimidation, economic boycotts and violent acts committed against them by
Muslim residents. Churches are frequent targets of attacks in many parts of the
Middle East and Africa. In some countries, such as Saudi Arabia, churches are
outlawed and Christian worship is banned.

Persecution of Jews:

Jews were ethnically cleansed from nine Arab countries and Muslim fanatics
continue to incite hatred and promote attacks against Jews through blood libel
and violent interpretations of Islam. Jews are often targeted by radical Muslims,
whose stated goal is to destroy Israel. During the Jordanian Muslim control of
Jerusalem (1948-1967), 58 Jerusalem synagogues were destroyed. Jewish shrines
and synagogues are frequently targeted for destruction or desecration.
For example, Joseph’s Tomb, the ancient burial site of the Biblical patriarch Joseph,
was burned and converted into a mosque by Palestinian radicals in 2000.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
Oh yes it's only Islam right Jared. The Shiva Sena, The Tamil Tigers, The Lords Resistance Army, the Lehi, the Irgun, I suppose you call all of them liberation groups. It's only when you're Islamic when they get the slur titles.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Lentern said:
Oh yes it's only Islam right Jared. The Shiva Sena, The Tamil Tigers, The Lords Resistance Army, the Lehi, the Irgun, I suppose you call all of them liberation groups. It's only when you're Islamic when they get the slur titles.
:hammer:

Zingy

HSC
You're really comparing those groups to radical islamic terrorist groups? OH WOW.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
are you familiar with the persecution of Christians by Hindus in Orissa?
raping nuns and burning churches should at least be on par with that

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
Zingy said:
You're really comparing those groups to radical islamic terrorist groups? OH WOW.
The Lehi and the LRA certainly, the Irgun, Tamil Tigers and Shiva Sena are not as bad but are certainly comparable. I guess it doesn't count if you don't attack any western nationas though.

MissSarajevo

HSC
Muslim terrorists failed in their attempt to create civil war betwen shiite and sunni, and failed in their war against the americans, now they are turning against Iraqi Xtians. Islam is undoubtedly, the root cause of 99.99% of the world's evil, conflicts and sufferings.

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
MissSarajevo said:
Muslim terrorists failed in their attempt to create civil war betwen shiite and sunni, and failed in their war against the americans, now they are turning against Iraqi Xtians. Islam is undoubtedly, the root cause of 99.99% of the world's evil, conflicts and sufferings.
hey, when your about to die, PM me. i want to piss and shit on your grave.

Zingy

HSC
Is that all you have to say? You have nothing to respond with so you just get angry, like a monkey, like an Arab.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Saddam Hussein doesn't look so bad now, does he?
Dumb fuck americans.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
U.S.A said:
brother, bush doesnt represent america.
I apologise
Bush, AIPAC, and the Israel lobby has really clouded my vision of the glorious USA.

All the free people hope for you to be restored to your former glory, USA. As the leader of the free world.

U.S.A

Banned
HSC
sam04u said:
I apologise
Bush, AIPAC, and the Israel lobby has really clouded my vision of the glorious USA.
correct. also the bilderberg group
sam04u said:
All the free people hope for you to be restored to your former glory, USA. As the leader of the free world.
one day my friend. as the great Ronald Reagan said in his glory days, the United states of America will be restored as the "nation who will uphold the principles of self-reliance, self-discipline, morality, and, above all, responsible liberty for every individual that we will become that shining nation on top of the hill."

MissSarajevo

HSC
slickstar_01 said:

edit: im not a fucking arab.
You are a Paki. According to Indians, Pakis are decendants of Indians raped by Arab invaders of North West India (modernday Pakistan), particularly Sind, Punjab and Baluchistan. So you are a mongrel and a bastardised Indian and Arab.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)