All pubs, clubs in NSW face 2am closing (1 Viewer)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
October 15, 2008 12:00am

PEOPLE would no longer be able to claim being drunk as a defence or a mitigating factor to a crime in NSW, and would face tougher sentences if intoxicated under tough new laws.

The proposal to go before State Cabinet is an attempt to strike at the soaring incidence of alcohol-related violence across Sydney.

It would include a mandatory 2am close of all pubs, clubs and bottle shops.

24-hour pubs to have their day?

The aggressive changes to criminal and liquor laws, contained in a secret Cabinet minute obtained by The Daily Telegraph, remove intoxication as a defence or a mitigating factor in crime - particularly assaults.

It would become an "aggravating factor" in sentencing.

Home delivery of alcohol would be banned unless approved by special licence, in a bid to stamp out under-age drinking parties.

Tele readers demand pubs close early

Under-18s caught intoxicated would have driving licences suspended or have their application for licences delayed by up to 12 months.

The changes, likely to upset the hotel and club industry, include a demerit-point system akin to driving licences for pubs and clubs, which would face being shut for accumulated breaches of the licensing laws.

The proposals, drafted with the help of Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione, are contained in a special Cabinet minute that is due to go before Premier Nathan Rees within weeks.

It is understood the initiatives have already been approved by a special Cabinet sub-committee, set up by former premier Morris Iemma in May, to tackle alcohol-related crime.

Mr Scipione flagged changes earlier this week when he vowed in The Daily Telegraph to close down problem hotels after figures showed alcohol related assaults double every year in NSW.

"It is incongruous that the criminal law still regards intoxication as a factor that can lessen culpability for violent anti-social behaviour," the Cabinet minute states.

The 11-point plan also includes drink marshals in pubs and mandatory CCTV for late-trading premises.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24498322-5001021,00.html

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
PEOPLE would no longer be able to claim being drunk as a defence or a mitigating factor to a crime in NSW, and would face tougher sentences if intoxicated under tough new laws.
i like this new development.

Will Shakespear said:
It would include a mandatory 2am close of all pubs, clubs and bottle shops.
I dont like this one. are their exemptions?

Will Shakespear said:
Home delivery of alcohol would be banned unless approved by special licence, in a bid to stamp out under-age drinking parties.
Probably another good idea. but under 18's usually just get over 18's to buy it anyway. it wont stamp it out.

Will Shakespear said:
Under-18s caught intoxicated would have driving licences suspended or have their application for licences delayed by up to 12 months.
That kinda sucks. they need some law to stop under-18's drinking but thats a bit rough.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
The 2am closing idea is ridiculous, it would essentially kill a major proportion of Sydney nightlife.

If clubs were to close at 2am you would have more people drinking more alcohol within a shorter period of time and then, obviously, you're going to have more intoxicated people wandering around the streets starting fights which members of the public who have not been drinking are more likely to get caught in. By closing clubs at 2am people are going to think of other, more risky ways to have fun.

I agree with the scrapping of being intoxicated as a 'mitigating factor' but I don't think that it should 'aggravate' sentencing. I'd imagine that people who commit acts of assault while sober are (for the most part) more dangerous, it's almost 'pre-meditated' assault because you should have the ability to judge clearly and thoughtfully, whilst when you're drunk obviously there are other factors at play. The 'mitigating factor' scrapping is fair because obviously you've decided to drink knowing your judgement will be affected. But as far as 'aggravating' sentences because of alcohol consumption, that's ridiculous.

The under 18s stuff is fair enough but honestly after all these schemes to make alcohol harder to get for kids it's going to become comparatively easier to get drugs, which are in some cases, even worse.

This is all a cultural thing. Look at Europe, the legal drinking age is considerably lower in a lot of countries over there and alcohol related violence and health issues seem to be much less of a concern. 'Getting sloshed' just seems to be an aspect of being 'Aussie' that seems to bring with it a lot of problems. Closing pubs and clubs at 2am is not going to get rid of them.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
plastic cups is the only real solution i can see in all this. closing early will just make violence happen earlier. but you cant fuck someone up as badly with a plastic cup to the head when they do get into a blue

zstar

HSC
N/A
Don't blame the parents, teachers, friends etc etc instead blame the businesses who are just trying to make a living.

This is the type of insanity coming from the government.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
nandayo said:
This is all a cultural thing. Look at Europe, the legal drinking age is considerably lower in a lot of countries over there and alcohol related violence and health issues seem to be much less of a concern. 'Getting sloshed' just seems to be an aspect of being 'Aussie' that seems to bring with it a lot of problems. Closing pubs and clubs at 2am is not going to get rid of them.
spot on

another token solution from a labor government that fails to address an underlying cultural problem

"just ban everything"

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
zstar said:
Don't blame the parents, teachers, friends etc etc instead blame the businesses who are just trying to make a living.

This is the type of insanity coming from the government.
A living made by not observing responsible service of alcohol laws. I agree with your comment about more drinking in a shorter period of time. Earlier closing times will merely promote faster binge drinking. However that is only possible in a context where RSA is not adhered to.

Address the RSA and you have your solution. Increase the penalties for non-compliance, and develop a greater incentive for enforcement by police.

L i L O

HSC
OMG.
Fuck this shit.

Do they really think this is going to solve anything?
We will just find better ways/places to get pissed - most likely take it to the beaches and parks.
This will also just increase the demand for alcohol - everything is so much more appealing when its banned or hard to get.

Stupid fucking government. This is just like their whole attempt to reduce underage binge drinking by taxing on lollywater - all teenagers did was move onto harder shit. And in some cases, goon.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
incentivation said:
A living made by not observing responsible service of alcohol laws. I agree with your comment about more drinking in a shorter period of time. Earlier closing times will merely promote faster binge drinking. However that is only possible in a context where RSA is not adhered to.

Address the RSA and you have your solution. Increase the penalties for non-compliance, and develop a greater incentive for enforcement by police.
I still don't think this would be a solution if RSA was adhered to. Of course, it should be - regardless of whether or not this 2am shutdown goes ahead - but even if you have RSA, you could just buy a bottle of vodka (that'd be around seventeen standard drinks) from a bottle shop.

You may not get as many violent incidents in clubs but you'd get just as many on the streets.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Holy fucking shit they cannot be serious. Great going NSW government, yet again you've completely missed the point and gotten caught up in the moral panic.

Home deliveries thing really pisses me off because I've found some great online retailers of imported and boutique beer, if the law affects that I'm going to be fucking furious.

Also, suspending someone's license for drinking underage? Fuck off. That's beyond retarded.

X

xeuyrawp

Noooooo..... Just as I found out that good beer is best bought on teh internets!

X

xeuyrawp

Captain Hero said:
Home deliveries thing really pisses me off because I've found some great online retailers of imported and boutique beer, if the law affects that I'm going to be fucking furious.
Our beer party! :'(

ASNSWR127

HSC
well I think that in very few cases tougher laws would be the only solution

However in this case I have seen that extra police and tougher laws are the only way forward...

I still love it when police strut up to drunken people being violent and anti-social and ask them to move on - they don't, they swing a punch at the cop, connects with cop, cop rolls with punch, cop rolls back and on way through flicks baton and smacks the person on the arm (causing them to collapse to the ground in total surprise)...

Serves them right for leading overpaid underworked lives where they have so much capital to spend on alcohol and drugs.

I am not against having a drink or even getting tipsy but am against losing all dignity and thought process simply because of alcohol.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
L i L O said:
OMG.
Fuck this shit.

Do they really think this is going to solve anything?
We will just find better ways/places to get pissed - most likely take it to the beaches and parks.
This will also just increase the demand for alcohol - everything is so much more appealing when its banned or hard to get.

Stupid fucking government. This is just like their whole attempt to reduce underage binge drinking by taxing on lollywater - all teenagers did was move onto harder shit. And in some cases, goon.
Bogan slut located.

X

xeuyrawp

ASNSWR127 said:
well I think that in very few cases tougher laws would be the only solution

However in this case I have seen that extra police and tougher laws are the only way forward...

I still love it when police strut up to drunken people being violent and anti-social and ask them to move on - they don't, they swing a punch at the cop, connects with cop, cop rolls with punch, cop rolls back and on way through flicks baton and smacks the person on the arm (causing them to collapse to the ground in total surprise)...

Serves them right for leading overpaid underworked lives where they have so much capital to spend on alcohol and drugs.

I am not against having a drink or even getting tipsy but am against losing all dignity and thought process simply because of alcohol.
.......... oh Jesus Christ.

Flinch

HSC
"Under-18s caught intoxicated would have driving licences suspended or have their application for licences delayed by up to 12 months."

Aww cmon, this is jst getting stupid, U18s can drink responsibly, well, some of us..... sometimes....

Hell, let us have our fun =\

If alco restrictions keep goin like this, and the price keeps goin up, drugs are lookin better n better =\

ASNSWR127

HSC
Flinch said:
"Under-18s caught intoxicated would have driving licences suspended or have their application for licences delayed by up to 12 months."

Aww cmon, this is jst getting stupid, U18s can drink responsibly, well, some of us..... sometimes....

Hell, let us have our fun =\

If alco restrictions keep goin like this, and the price keeps goin up, drugs are lookin better n better =\
yeah except for the whole possibility of death...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)