People with ethnic surnames discriminated against (1 Viewer)

zstar

HSC
N/A
New research by the Australian National University shows job applicants with 'ethnic' names find it tougher to get an interview than those with Anglo-Saxon names.

Economists at the university, Professors Alison Booth and Andrew Leigh, disseminated 4000 fake CVs to job advertisers in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney to test the level of discrimination.

Researchers found that applicants with Chinese names were more likely to be knocked back than applicants with Anglo-Saxon names.

Job seekers with Italian, Middle Eastern and Indigenous names also had a lower chance of being called in for an interview.

All the fake CVs, regardless of the ethnicity of the names, stated the applicant had studied in Australia.

"By varying the names on the CVs, we were able to estimate precisely the extent of hiring discrimination," Professor Booth says.

"Because all other characteristics are held constant, we can be sure that we are actually measuring discrimination."

Professor Leigh says minorities would fare better in the labour market if they Anglicised their names.

"It certainly suggests Anglicising your name increases the chance of getting a job interview," Prof Leigh told reporters in Canberra.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1029882/Ethnic-names-struggle-in-job-search

I always knew white people hated Asians but damn.

I guess the yellow peril mentality is still alive and fresher than ever.

Last edited:

44Ronin

HSC
People with ethnic names are less likely to speak English well, which make them less productive. Therefore, the discrimination may be justified.
No it is not. The interview should determine their fluency in language rather than the basis of their name.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
People with ethnic names are less likely to speak English well, which make them less productive. Therefore, the discrimination may be justified.
They were discussing this on the radio, the study involved submitting job applications across a range of industries, including customer service, waiting tables and manual labouring, positions where excellence in spoken English are not essential.

It's speculative whether, quality of submitted cover letters and Australian educational attainment being equal, someone with an ethnic surname is less likely to speak English well than an applicant with an anglo surname.

I'd seriously consider changing my name based on these results. But I'm white, so it's okay.

HSC
N/A
hahaha. what if you are born in Australia? how the fuck can you not be able to speak English?

44Ronin

HSC
Good points Graney.

I'm always skeptical of stuff like this though. If you examine the data, often studies claiming we are racist or sexist, turn out to be quite flawed.
By far and far we are very much a racist country. We have racists who immigrate here, we have colonial racists who don't want immigrants over here, and we have the indigenous who are extremely racist.

All in all, australia is racist

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
By far and far we are very much a racist country. We have racists who immigrate here, we have colonial racists who don't want immigrants over here, and we have the indigenous who are extremely racist.

All in all, australia is racist
i applaud you on your justifications =)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
New research by the Australian National University shows job applicants with 'ethnic' names find it tougher to get an interview than those with Anglo-Saxon names.

Economists at the university, Professors Alison Booth and Andrew Leigh, disseminated 4000 fake CVs to job advertisers in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney to test the level of discrimination.

Researchers found that applicants with Chinese names were more likely to be knocked back than applicants with Anglo-Saxon names.

Job seekers with Italian, Middle Eastern and Indigenous names also had a lower chance of being called in for an interview.

All the fake CVs, regardless of the ethnicity of the names, stated the applicant had studied in Australia.

"By varying the names on the CVs, we were able to estimate precisely the extent of hiring discrimination," Professor Booth says.

"Because all other characteristics are held constant, we can be sure that we are actually measuring discrimination."

Professor Leigh says minorities would fare better in the labour market if they Anglicised their names.

"It certainly suggests Anglicising your name increases the chance of getting a job interview," Prof Leigh told reporters in Canberra.

World News Australia - 'Ethnic names' struggle in job search

I always knew white people hated Asians but damn.

I guess the yellow peril mentality is still alive and fresher than ever.
wow thanks for posting this before me

why cant we live together in harmony? seriously. I blame the jews tbqh.
job criteria:
convert before applying.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It reminds me of the research findings that people who are obese and/or unnatractive are similarly discriminated against (though in these cases it is during the interview).

HSC
N/A
If I ever have to conduct interviews, the first question ill ask is:

"Are you THE JEW?"

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
My God, why can't people just make ONE account?!

a) It confuses the fuck out of me.
b) Since all of the accounts are similar/the same, the creation of them seems futile.
c) It's silly.

Dooga

HSC
so your saying sum dero with an anglo name from mount druit whos all fucked up on drugs will be able to speak better than some guy with a wog name who does 4 unit english at a private school???

wow your pretty stupid
names dont decide on how well you can talk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)