A Question of Christian Theology (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
A common thread of questioning is (particularly to Protestants, not people who invent non-biblical dimensions like purgatory).

Atheist: Why does god send non-believers to hell and have them tortured for eternity?

Christian: Oh, he still loves you. He is all-loving and not cruel. It's his way of granting your wish- since you rejected him; he knows you don't want to spend eternity with him...

My question:

Why do I have to have an afterlife? I mean my dog and bird get to just die. And don’t say “because your made in his image”- I didn’t consent!!!!!!

Why is this at all necessary? I wasn't given a choice to be born- had I been, perhaps I might have declined given eternity is a while...

If the non-believer is content with no afterlife- why can't god grant them (in his all-loving character) the wish of just...dieing? It's dead simple.

I'd have to say the common Christian response holds the worst logic ever- so the "loving" god not only needs to lock you away from him (because you "choose it"- something I'd argue, having "faith" is impossible for many atheists!) but you need to also suffer torment. At this point I guess all you can do is laugh...

I know its all bs anyway, but I’d like to see a serious attempt from say Mcflystargirl or someone who actually preaches this cruelty.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Second question,

Do you respect "theologians" as an academic, even if they have done a phD?

I mean is there really any difference between them and someone doing their phD on Harry Potter?

I know Dawkins doesn't recongise it as a discipline, I'm inclined to agree.

These people are experts on what exactly? How to interpret Bible passages? The inner workings of "gods" mind?

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I ask that all the time too. I mean, hell for eternity is slightly disproportionate.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Yea just slightly. But why the actual "torture" in hell, no one has ever justified it. Be interesting to see the responses...this is gonna get juicy.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
fuck god and his almightyness.

I'll die when and how I want to. I'll go to an afterlife if I please and not directed by anyone XD

saberbladexx

HSC
I bet someone is gonna say "Read the Bible, its all in there" or something along the lines of that.

I cant comment as I'm not a Christian, but I'm sure some person out there must have a reasonable answer, or as close as it can get to one.

Sarebs

HSC
Wow this is really interesting... I can't really answer any of it.

I don't believe in God or religion, but I believe mortal sins will/may be punished.

Anyway, the first circle of Dante's "Inferno" holds people who didn't believe in God. They're not really punished or tortured, just separated from God. Not that this is any evidence... just an epic poem.

Tangent

HSC
I just wanna die, after-life seems.... to torturous for me. I deserve a rest after living dont i? imagine having to live forever, even if you are the happiest you've ever been, you'd need more and more to make you just as happy. I wanna sleep.

Jaylee42003

HSC
I just wanna die, after-life seems.... to torturous for me. I deserve a rest after living dont i? imagine having to live forever, even if you are the happiest you've ever been, you'd need more and more to make you just as happy. I wanna sleep.
hun, you don't want to die. You don't know what is after this life: no body does. And it could be better, or it could be worse: we'll never know (for now). You don't want to risk cutting short your life, when the after-life (assuming there is one) could be more painful eh?
But sleep is good. :) Just no dying or talk of dying yeah

Tangent

HSC
heh, i dont want to die now- i still have so much left i want to do, but when i do i wanna stay dead XD

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Heh i guess i can answer some of these, i am not really what you would call a theist, but i do find the concept of religion interesting and often they are quite internally consistent. I usually do dislike organised religion though, but i dont have a problem with people who believe in a god for some reason.

Atheist: Why does god send non-believers to hell and have them tortured for eternity?
They arent tortured and its not exactly a punishment. Its more like, God only wants people in heaven who love and worship him. If you reject god, the only other place for you to go is the place he has reserved for everything that is un-god i.e hell. Unfortunately a lot of bad stuff is there [because god is supposed to be everything good and that] including bad people and creatures who want to hurt you and cause suffering. God doesnt police this area, infact he probably totally ignores it as a black listed place, so he of course doesn't care much what happens.

My question:

Why do I have to have an afterlife? I mean my dog and bird get to just die. And don’t say “because your made in his image”- I didn’t consent!!!!!!

Why is this at all necessary? I wasn't given a choice to be born- had I been, perhaps I might have declined given eternity is a while...
Its to do with the concept of a soul and that, supposedly a soul cant be destroyed. It isnt "you" exactly that has an afterlife, but a part of you cant die. Consent isnt something that god really cares about, its pretty much a western, human construct, he thinks he knows best so he doesnt really care if you dont agree with what he does, hes going to do it anyway.

If the non-believer is content with no afterlife- why can't god grant them (in his all-loving character) the wish of just...dieing? It's dead simple.
I would imagine that destroying souls goes against some fundamental part of Gods own beliefs. As such, he doesnt really care what some pathetic little mortal wants.

Those are probably the best answers you are going to get. Most of what you want to know has no easy answer and i imagine strong christians might have different answers to mine, this is my own interpretation of religion.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Another question that might be interesting for responses -

If we say, with the assumption that God exists - however, a catch being that believers are now condemned to Hell whilst non-believers are sentenced to Heaven (of course, this would be written in the Bible/scriptures/what not), would people still believe? They can say this 'hypothetical' makes no sense, but if we roll with their definition of 'God' we can simply say "It's the way God works, he isn't bounded by logic".

I'm willing to bet alot of people would drop their beliefs

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
First i would like to start with the proper answer to this, and to answer this i think i need to tell you more then just the flat out answer otherwise noone will ever understand it.

God created the world, the created it with him as ruler and humans ruling it under him, this is not the way it is now.
We as humans have rejected Gods rule in our lives, and decided to rule it our selves, this rebellion is sin, and it is the reason why the world is in such a crappy state.
God decided he did not want the world to be like this and he was not going to let us keep going so as a punishment for our rebellion we all die, all must die then be judged he loves us enough as humans so he hold us accountable to our actions his justice is entirely just.
God because of his love did not leave us to face the concequences of our rebellion and sent his son, who unlike us did not sin and never rebelled, so he did not deserve death and punishment like we all do, but he died, he died to take the punishment for our sins.
God then raised jesus to life and as the ruler of the world, he as also been appointed to judge the world when he returns.
this then leaves us with two options
either we can live as christians following jesus, and accepting his gift of eternal life, or continuing with the rebellion and facing Gods justice

so ultimately he sends un-believers to hell because they have lived under rebellion with him without repentance, he is giving them the punishment which they ( and everyone) deserves. christians deserve this but God justice is carried out on the cross

I think the correct answer to this original question is not what you have assumed

Why is this at all necessary? I wasn't given a choice to be born- had I been, perhaps I might have declined given eternitis a while...
because like all humans you have rebelled and there needs to be justice for the actions we do

I'd have to say the common Christian response holds the worst logic ever- so the "loving" god not only needs to lock you away from him (because you "choose it"- something I'd argue, having "faith" is impossible for many atheists!) but you need to also suffer torment. At
this point I guess all you can do is laugh...

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
Yea just slightly. But why the actual "torture" in hell, no one has ever justified it. Be interesting to see the responses...this is gonna get juicy.
It isnt actual torture involving physical pain

it is a metaphor

because they are seperated from god forever

so it is torture for them

why be so dumb for

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
First i would like to start with the proper answer to this, and to answer this i think i need to tell you more then just the flat out answer otherwise noone will ever understand it.

God created the world, the created it with him as ruler and humans ruling it under him, this is not the way it is now.
We as humans have rejected Gods rule in our lives, and decided to rule it our selves, this rebellion is sin, and it is the reason why the world is in such a crappy state.
God decided he did not want the world to be like this and he was not going to let us keep going so as a punishment for our rebellion we all die, all must die then be judged he loves us enough as humans so he hold us accountable to our actions his justice is entirely just.
God because of his love did not leave us to face the concequences of our rebellion and sent his son, who unlike us did not sin and never rebelled, so he did not deserve death and punishment like we all do, but he died, he died to take the punishment for our sins.
God then raised jesus to life and as the ruler of the world, he as also been appointed to judge the world when he returns.
this then leaves us with two options
either we can live as christians following jesus, and accepting his gift of eternal life, or continuing with the rebellion and facing Gods justice

so ultimately he sends un-believers to hell because they have lived under rebellion with him without repentance, he is giving them the punishment which they ( and everyone) deserves. christians deserve this but God justice is carried out on the cross

I think the correct answer to this original question is not what you have assumed

because like all humans you have rebelled and there needs to be justice for the actions we do
now answr mine!

Ksubi

HSC
SERIUS. i like your thinking.
i am christian, but in days of constant consumerism and trying to conform to the ideology of our generation, im leaving my CHRISTAN life at home and not sharing it with the general public, i get accused of ssoooo much but i dont understand why they blame me... im not JESUS im just labelled as being one of his followers..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)