condom found in soup (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2623884/detail.html

Women Sue After Finding Condom In Chowder
Customer Takes Rubbery Bite Of Chowder

Laila Sultan said she was eating at McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant on Feb. 26, 2002, when she bit into something rubbery.

"We said, 'Of course. You're chewing on a clam,'" said Paula Wild, one of her dining companions.

When she spit it out, Sultan, 48, said she discovered it was an unwrapped, rolled-up condom.

She said she spent the next 15 minutes in a restroom vomiting and has since seen a psychiatrist and taken medication for depression and anxiety.

Sultan, Wild, Cindy Hammond and Annamarie Sigala, who were all having the clam chowder that day, filed suit, claiming negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Their case is scheduled for trial Jan. 12.

McCormick & Schmick's, a privately owned chain, owns 42 upscale restaurants in 19 states.

Sultan, who lives in Stanton, said she had visited the restaurant before and never had a problem.

On this occasion, she said, she and her companions ordered drinks, appetizers and soup, but sent the soup back because it was lukewarm. When she got it back she found the condom.

How could a condom get into the chowder? It's a mystery, Patrick Stark, attorney for McCormick & Schmick's, told the Los Angeles Times.

The restaurant sued American Roland Food Corp., which supplied the clams, but a judge ruled for the supplier in September, according to The Times.

At the forthcoming trial, the restaurant chain will argue that "there is absolutely no evidence to suggest the restaurant was the source of the condom, or any employee of the restaurant," Stark told The Times.

"Either it came from (the four women) or it was thrown in as a practical joke by another patron at the restaurant."

The condom was seized by the restaurant manager, the women said, adding that he told them the insurance company had instructed him not to return it or let them photograph it.

The women's lawsuit says the condom was "a possibly used one," but Stark told The Times that, because it was rolled up, "it was clearly unused."

Sultan and Wild told The Times the women have tested negative for HIV.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I wonder why no one has replied...

It's America, enough said.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
i read this article a while ago.

what if it were a used condom? :p

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
haha its like something out of american pie...
Hahaha... I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Wonder why the producers never thought of that one :p

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
like that scene in road trip with the french toast down the chef's pants :D

AGB

HSC
i seriously hate people who sue people for the most pathetic things....sure, finding a condom in your food aint good, but

claiming negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress
and

has seen a psychiatrist and taken medication for depression and anxiety

are taking it a bit far....she is probably some povo who cant be bothered to do anything, and she figures that sueing someone will give her the easy option out and she'll never have to work again...i hope she loses...

its just like that lady who got $500,000+ when she fell off a chair in a cafe after she sued the cafe for negligence/causing emotional distress....there are two things that really really get to me, and dickheads who sue others just for the sake of earning some money is one of them

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
she probably purposely placed the condom in the soup to gain compensation, so i guess she is a povo.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
thats so groooseeeeee

i dont wanna eat soup eva again

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Does anyone else ever get paranoid about sending back food you're unhappy with from horror stories like this?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol, well i havent been unhappy with any food yet

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh me neither.. im only unhappy when they forget something or mix it up.. but they usually replace it
SKA they could stick a condom in anything.. maybe u should never eat again lol
our business teacher told us that at westfield if u slip over and the spill has been there less than 5 mins they cant sue.. but if its more they can cuz it should be cleaned up
lol its like spill something.. wait 5 mins then break a limb

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Actually if its less then a "reasonable time" you can sue the person who made the spill, otherwise you sue the place.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
well..... yeh.. ive heard lots of stories...

hmm i rmeember going to this restuarant with my parents n my mum found a cocky in her potato

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
oh ok , lol, when you said cocky, i thought cockatoo

yuk!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)