Climategate: Scientists caught red handed falsifying data (1 Viewer)

zstar

HSC
N/A
Science depends on good quality of data. It also relies on replication and sharing data. But the last couple of days have uncovered some shocking revelations. Computer hackers have obtained 160 megabytes of e-mails from the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in England. These e-mails, which have now been confirmed as real, involved many researchers across the globe with ideologically similar advocates around the world. They were brazenly discussing the destruction and hiding of data that did not support global warming claims. The academics here also worked closely with the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
Professor Phil Jones, the head of the Climate Research Unit, and Professor Michael Mann at Pennsylvania State University, who has been an important scientist in the climate debate, have come under particular scrutiny. Among his e-mails, Professor Jones talks to Professor Mann about the "trick of adding in the real temps to each series...to hide the decline [in temperature]." Professor Mann admitted that this was the exchange that he had and explained to the New York Times that "scientists often used the word 'trick' to refer to a good way to solve a problem, 'and not something secret.'" While the New York Times apparently buys this explanation, it is hard to see the explanation for "to hide the decline."
And there is a lot more. In another exchange, Professor Jones tells Professor Mann: "If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I’ll delete the file rather than send to anyone" and "We also have a data protection act, which I will hide behind." Professor Jones further urges Professor Mann to join him in deleting e-mail exchanges about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s controversial assessment report: "Can you delete any e-mails you may have had with Keith re: [the IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report]?" In another e-mail, Professor Jones told Professor Mann and Professor Malcolm Hughes at the University of Arizona and Raymond S. "Ray" Bradley at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst: "I'm getting hassled by a couple of people to release the CRU station temperature data. Don’t any of you three tell anybody that the UK has a Freedom of Information Act!"
Professor Jones complains to another academic: "I did get an e-mail from the FOI person here early yesterday to tell me I shouldn’t be deleting e-mails" and "IPCC is an international organization, so is above any national FOI. Even if UEA holds anything about IPCC, we are not obliged to pass it on." We only have e-mails from Professor Jones' institution, and, with his obvious approach to delete files; we have no idea what damaging information has been lost.
Another professor at the Climate Research Unit, Tim Osborn, discusses in e-mails how truncating a data series can hide a cooling trend that would otherwise be seen in the results. Professor Mann sent Professor Osborn an e-mail saying that the results he is sending shouldn't be shown to others because the results support critics of global warming. Time after time the discussions refer to hiding or destroying data.

Other global warming advocates also privately acknowledge what they won’t concede publicly, that temperature changes haven’t been consistent with their models. Dr. Kevin Trenberth, the head of the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research and prominent man-made global warming advocate, wrote in an e-mail: “The fact is we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t.”
There were also been discussions to silence academic journals that publish research skeptical of significant man-made global warming. Professor Mann wrote: "I think we have to stop considering 'Climate Research' as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal." Other emails refer to efforts to exclude contrary views from publication in scientific journals. Pat Michaels, a climate scientist at the Cato Institute, told The Wall Street Journal: "This is what everyone feared. Over the years, it has become increasingly difficult for anyone who does not view global warming as an end-of-the-world issue to publish papers. This isn't questionable practice, this is unethical."
The New York Times argues: "The documents appear to have been acquired illegally and contain all manner of private information and statements that were never intended for the public eye, so they won’t be posted here." -- This from the same news organization that regularly publishes classified government documents! Yet, these e-mails were covered by England's Freedom of Information Act and should have been released when they were requested. Hiding data, destroying information, and doctoring their results raise real questions about many American academics at universities such as Pennsylvania State University, University of Arizona, and University of Massachusetts at Amherst. When at all possible available data must be shared.
Usually academic research is completely ignored by the general public but in this case proposed regulations, costing trillions of dollars, are being based on many of these claimed research results. This coordinated campaign to hide scientific information appears unprecedented.

Why You Should Be Hot and Bothered About 'Climate-gate' - FOXNews.com

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
Looks like the conspiracy theorists were right!

Hands up if you immediately thought 'illuminati' while reading that? i did...

zstar

HSC
N/A
tl;dr

please provide a summary for the lazy among us.
Hackers hacked into university emails in England more specifically climate change unit.

E-mails found collaboration of Scientists in deliberate attempts at falsifying and manipulation of data and hiding whatever data that did not fit their climate change agenda.

The E-mails also discussed how to get skeptical scientists kicked out and marginalized for opposing the hypothesis of man made global warming.

These people are supposedly the same people who advise governments on carbon taxes and cap and trade.

fliick

HSC
N/A
Lol you can't trust anyone

Maybe it's bullshit, but I believe it easy enough. If you were researching the global warming myth and found proof that disproves your claim, it makes perfect sense on a selfish/financial scale to ignore or even eliminate any incriminating evidence that'll put you out of pocket and a cushy job.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
The IPCC are no angels either. You won't be able to disprove climate change for at least 100 years, which of course by then many of the douche bag's supporting it such as Penny Wong will be dead and won't have to deal with the billions of dollars the world is putting into it.

fliick

HSC
N/A
What if the emails were fabricated as part of an even greater conspiracy by big oil to discredit climate change.
It all comes back to the Reptillians... There's no way out of a conspiracy when the queen is involved...
But tbh I wouldn't put it past oil. I bet it was Shell.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Little Green Footballs - Nontroversy Watch: CRU-Gate

Andrew Freedman: What effects do you think this will have on public perceptions of climate science and climate scientists?

SW: I don’t expect this to have much impact on public perceptions of climate and climate scientists. Opinions have become so fixed that it would take serious evidence to shift a significant number of people. Since the late 1980s, just about every year and sometimes almost every month, a group of people (mostly the same ones) have exclaimed, “Now in these latest (whatever) we finally have proof that there is no need to worry about climate change!” There is a segment of the public that has believed every new claim. The rest will continue to doubt such claims in the absence of truly solid proof.

AF: What do you think this story reveals about the conduct of climate science?

SW: Back around 2000 leading climate scientists talked to each other mostly about their science—debating one another’s data and analysis and negotiating travel, collaboration and other administration—and a little bit about policy. As time passed they have had to spend more and more of their time answering criticism of the scientific results already established, criticism mostly based on ignorance, fallacious reasoning, and even deliberately deceptive claims. Still more recently they have had to spend far too much of their time defending their personal reputations against ignorant or slanderous attacks.

The theft and use of the emails does reveal something interesting about the social context. It’s a symptom of something entirely new in the history of science: Aside from crackpots who complain that a conspiracy is suppressing their personal discoveries, we’ve never before seen a set of people accuse an entire community of scientists of deliberate deception and other professional malfeasance.

Even the tobacco companies never tried to slander legitimate cancer researchers. In blogs, talk radio and other new media, we are told that the warnings about future global warming issued by the national science academies, scientific societies, and governments of all the leading nations are not only mistaken, but based on a hoax, indeed a conspiracy that must involve thousands of respected researchers. Extraordinary and, frankly, weird. Climate scientists are naturally upset, exasperated, and sometimes goaded into intemperate responses… but that was already easy to see in their blogs and other writings.

aussie-boy

HSC
Why is there no concrete verdict/in depth but concise analysis readily available for the public to look at (without reading biased media articles/going in depth into research papers?)

My view is based on my trust for the incredibly intelligent science staff at high school (most with PhDs) - who all were completely convinced that climate change is real and something to be concerned about.

Had I not known these teachers, I don't see how I could have formed a reasonable view.

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, why dont we let the free market decide if global warming is real or fake?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hackers hacked into university emails in England more specifically climate change unit.

E-mails found collaboration of Scientists in deliberate attempts at falsifying and manipulation of data and hiding whatever data that did not fit their climate change agenda.

The E-mails also discussed how to get skeptical scientists kicked out and marginalized for opposing the hypothesis of man made global warming.

These people are supposedly the same people who advise governments on carbon taxes and cap and trade.
so this is more about distrust rather than the great bulk of evidence being untrue, yeah?

a big fat 'meh' from me then.

redmayne

HSC
Well jeez, I guess that means climate change is a big fat lie.

Especially considering this report comes from Fox News. What a great source of news.

Have you ever watched their channel? It's like a friggin circus.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
It's something like this exposes the truth... Al Gore is probably hiding his fat face.
Thank God for computer hackers.. I salute you!

GLOBAL WARMING IS A MYTH!

Lentern

HSC
Why does this get a thread? Every Bolt article in the past year has alleged the same thing but at least he writes with some style.

hi-im-alex

HSC
so if its fake, how come the glaziers, greenacre and antartica are melting?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)