Abbott thinks reading the Bible should be compulsory in schools (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Thoughts?

BIBLE classes should be compulsory so children have a fundamental understanding of Christianity on leaving school, Tony Abbott says.

"I think everyone should have some familiarity with the great texts that are at the core of our civilisation," said the Federal Opposition leader.

"That includes, most importantly, the Bible.

"I think it would be impossible to have a good general education without at least some serious familiarity with the Bible and with the teachings of Christianity.

"That doesn't mean that people have to be believers."

But former Howard government Islamic advisor Dr Ameer Ali, said Mr Abbott's remarks were "over the top".

"It's one thing to say every child needs a good knowledge of history and geography or science," Dr Ali said.

"But it is something else to say all children should have a knowledge of the Bible. That might hurt other people who have their own holy scriptures," he said.

And the Australian Education Union's federal president, Angelo Gavrielatos, said that religion was not a priority for schools.

"There is a place for comparative studies of religion in the curriculum, but ultimately we consider it a private matter for parents and their children," he said.
AdelaideNow... All kids must read the Bible, federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says

HSC
Uni Grad
WHAT THE FUCK

Even contemplating the idea of forcing such nonsensical bullshit onto our children abhors me. This is a disgusting and outrageous proposal which, if the populus have a pair of IQ points to rub together, will see his chances now reduced to nothing.

philphie

Banned
HSC
if he goes by that basis why not suggest other religious texts? the torah? the Qu'ran?

anyway primary schools have scripture class, that is enough.

although i hear the state government is replacing scripture classes with ethics classes which i think is much better, but i think this was Rees' policy so it might not be implemented

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
if he goes by that basis why not suggest other religious texts? the torah? the Qu'ran?
because they aren't core texts in our culture. i don't have a problem with mandatory bible classes if they're given in a non-religious, critical approach as if it were an HSC English text. In fact, I think that'd be a fantastic idea. I think that's what he was try to say - I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
"I think everyone should have some familiarity with the great texts
I agree with this statement. However, compulsory study of the bible is bullshit. You should have a right to what you want to be subjected to, especially where theology is concerned. Needless to say, it discriminates against everything other religion.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Hmm compulsory bible reading in school or compulsory censoring of internet, which to choose? :mad:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I don't think teaching students ABOUT religion is a bad thing.

They shouldn't be indoctrinated of course, but I do think it would be good for students to learn about different religions and their beliefs and texts. It would probably be very difficult to implement any kind of compulsory comparative religious education because it is so sensitive and so easily turned into indoctrination by teachers.

Got2Kno91

HSC
This country is getting scary. Internet censorship from the 'left' and now compulsory bible study from the opposition. In my opinion, the current 'Labor' Gov't would be centre right on social policies, and the 'Liberal' Party now approaching the far right with Tony Abbott.

If there is any saving grace, it's that at the very least the mainstream concerns of the Australian people and their views and opinions are completely out of line with these new movements toward social conservatism. Seriously, the Greens look more and more moderate everyday compared to these clowns.

Lentern

HSC
It's probably only partially true but this is the reason why Abbott will never be elected from opposition: People believe that it is not beyond Abbott to force children to read the bible and make condoms as illegal as guns even though they don't really expect it and that worries them. What is the wildest thing people think Brendan Nelson or Malcolm Turnbull might seriously try and do? Take no action on climate change? Turn us into a republic? That is why in a favourable climate and with a decent campaign the two former leaders could win a general election and the current one could not.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
I don't think teaching students ABOUT religion is a bad thing.

They shouldn't be indoctrinated of course, but I do think it would be good for students to learn about different religions and their beliefs and texts. It would probably be very difficult to implement any kind of compulsory comparative religious education because it is so sensitive and so easily turned into indoctrination by teachers.
Well either be consistent about it, and include all religions or don't bother at all. Scripture class, in my opinion is enough, and for those who wants to take it further, there's always Studies of Religion.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
We are a Western country. You cannot deny that the most important and influential book of Western civilization has been the Holy Bible. It makes sense to have it seriously on the curriculum, if only to instill its historical significance in the development of this land and the predominant culture behind it. By all means teach it critically and without bias, but teach it none the less.

Lentern

HSC
We are a Western country. You cannot deny that the most important and influential book of Western civilization has been the Holy Bible. It makes sense to have it seriously on the curriculum, if only to instill its historical significance in the development of this land and the predominant culture behind it. By all means teach it critically and without bias, but teach it none the less.
We are also a people who insist that our children are taught from reliable materials and sadly the bible is very thin on referencing.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
You never cease to amuse me.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
We are also a people who insist that our children are taught from reliable materials and sadly the bible is very thin on referencing.
bible is a primary source

:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)