Polygamy in Australia... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Okay, well, obviously there's a lot of debate on these forums about homosexuality and how it relates to marriage, relationships and sex. So what about other forms of relationships, like polygamy? What to people think about the existence, and/or the legalisation of polygamous marriage in Australia? There are already people who are living in polygamous relationships, but if they're married, only one wife (or husband) has legal status.

Imo, it should be legal, and if it is made so, then it shouldn't be done before legalising gay marriage. And by comparing these, I only mean that they are both deviations from the majority of relationships that exist in Australia. Should polygamy, as another form of minority relationship, be given legal status in Australia?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

BlackDragon

HSC
Legalising polygamy isn't the same type of topic as legalising gay marriages because gay marriages are about sexuality and giving those who are homosexual the same status. In that way, it doesn't matter too much. Go for it.

Last edited:

vikraman

HSC
if both parties consent why not? but it will throw up new legal complications, more work for lawyers lol. and don't let the muslims start getting polygamous marriages. damned wankers will lock up their women and we'll become saudi arabia.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I believe pretty much any consented action between two parties should be legalised.

Name_Taken

HSC
Polygamy is Biblical, so I don't really see the issue.
Just because the Bible mentions a trait or act of an individual (even a godly person) does not necessarily mean that the scripture endorses such behaviour. For exmaple, the Bible describes Noah becomming drunk and disgracing himself, his behaviour was hardly condoned.

The Bible clearly gives God's intent for marriage and sexuality. God created our bodies for Him, not so that we can do with it whatever we want. God's will is that no one would use their body in any way contrary to His plan;

I Corinthians 6:13
The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body."

I Corinthians 6:20
"Therefore, honor God with your body."

When asked about marriage and divorce, Jesus said in Matthew 19:4-6;
"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

The proper, Biblical definition of marriage is described as a man, leaving his father and mother, uniting to his wife; so that two can unite as one, one man, one women.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Just because the Bible mentions a trait or act of an individual (even a godly person) does not necessarily mean that the scripture endorses such behaviour. For exmaple, the Bible describes Noah becomming drunk and disgracing himself, his behaviour was hardly condoned.

The Bible clearly gives God's intent for marriage and sexuality. God created our bodies for Him, not so that we can do with it whatever we want. God's will is that no one would use their body in any way contrary to His plan;

I Corinthians 6:13
The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body."

I Corinthians 6:20
"Therefore, honor God with your body."

When asked about marriage and divorce, Jesus said in Matthew 19:4-6;
"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

The proper, Biblical definition of marriage is described as a man, leaving his father and mother, uniting to his wife; so that two can unite as one, one man, one women.
How about when Lot's daughters got him drunk and sexed him so they could have kids?

and on that topic... will legalizing gay marriage lead to legalizing INCEST???

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
so that two can unite as one
Funny how the same thing was said by a genderfuck transexual named Hedwig...

And there were three sexes then
One that looked like two men
Glued up back to back
Called the children of the sun
And similar in shape and girth
Were the children of the earth
They looked like
Two girls rolled up in one
And the children of the moon
Was like a fork shoved on a spoon
They were part sun, part earth
Part daughter, part son

And then fire shot down
From the sky in bolts
Like shining blades of a knife
And it ripped right through the flesh
Of the children of the sun and the moon and the earth

Last time I saw you
We had just split in two
You were looking at me
I was looking at you
You had a way so familiar
But I could not recognize
'Cause you had blood on your face
I had blood in my eyes
But I could swear by your expression
That the pain down in your soul
Was the same as the one down in mine
That's the pain
That cuts a straight line down through the heart
We call it love
We wrapped our arms around each other
Tried to shove ourselves back together

Though I'm sure the bible couldn't condone her behaviour...

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
There are examples in America of these sort of relationships working out very harmoniously.

Obviously we should not look at Mormon cults as a benchmark for these relationships, but I really don't get why the government or any other person should mandate which sort of relationships are acceptable and which aren't.

Fuck off basically.

kfnmpah

HSC
I, personally, think a polygamous relationship is bullshit. It's just the middle ground between actually being in love and getting a divorce but, see, relationships can't have afformentioned middle groud 'cos it just doesn't make sense. When you're in a relationship with someone you should only want to have sex with them. (Finding others sexually attractive doesn't count, it's our innate human biology)

I bolded 'personally' because it is my personal opinion, not based on any facts or statistics. So don't shut me down.

This doesn't make sense, does it?

meh. who cares.

I GOT INTO UNI

kfnmpah

HSC
There are examples in America of these sort of relationships working out very harmoniously.

Obviously we should not look at Mormon cults as a benchmark for these relationships, but I really don't get why the government or any other person should mandate which sort of relationships are acceptable and which aren't.

Fuck off basically.
I also agree with this. It's complete bullshit that the government has control over our interpersonal relationships. The laws against polygamy and homosexual marriage are completely archaic and irrelevant.

Although I think polygamy is "wrong" (not wrong like... paedophilia, wrong as in I wouldn't do it), it shouldn't be illegal if it benefits all parties involved. The laws today, i believe, are still upheld because, hypothetically, if a man has many wives there's heaps of loopholes and stuff regarding his insurance, tax deductions and other stuff that would cost the government a butt load.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)