Should people who take illegal drugs be denied welfare? (1 Viewer)

Should people who take illegal drugs be denied welfare?

• Drug users should have welfare denied to them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Welfare should not be cancelled for drug use

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If someone receives a conviction for the possession of illicit drugs, and they are currently receiving unemployment support, youth allowance, the old age pension etc...

Should they have their right to this benefit revoked?

If you have received a conviction in the past, should you ever be able to receive benefits ever again?

If you think that welfare benefits should be cancelled for drug users, why is spending the money on other luxuries such as alcohol, or cigarettes, or an overseas holiday, or a big TV acceptable, but illegal drugs aren't?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If someone receives a conviction for the possession of illicit drugs, and they are currently receiving unemployment support, youth allowance, the old age pension etc...

Should they have their right to this benefit revoked?

If you have received a conviction in the past, should you ever be able to receive benefits ever again?

If you think that welfare benefits should be cancelled for drug users, why is spending the money on other luxuries such as alcohol, or cigarettes, or an overseas holiday, or a big TV acceptable, but illegal drugs aren't?
Depending on the drug, its use and inability to find a job often have a fairly strong causal link. Ergo if there is a demonstrated pattern of abuse which controls their life utterly and is not currently being addressed by the user (i.e. rehab), there's no way they should receive anything.

aussie-boy

HSC
The point of welfare is also to keep the people who don't receive it happier through lower crime, less homelessness etc

Tofuu

HSC
i think instead of being able to buy whatever they want, they should be given coupons for food instead so it restricts them

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I was really just trolling for terrible people to lol at and wasn't even going to bother arguing with anyone, but since an actual person posted

Depending on the drug, its use and inability to find a job often have a fairly strong causal link. Ergo if there is a demonstrated pattern of abuse which controls their life utterly and is not currently being addressed by the user (i.e. rehab), there's no way they should receive anything.
Shouldn't job search requirements fulfill this anyway though? If job search requirements are inadequate to distinguish genuine job seekers, why set up this particular arbitrary criteria? If it's 'controlling their life utterly', then you'd expect them to fail job search requirements, which are far more of a cunt than holding down a job.

I direct you to this website:
art and dole Welfare Guides

Which is a comprehensive guide for artists on how to rort the Australian unemployment system. Identifying as persuing a career in art, and applying for only art jobs has a fairly strong causal link with inability to find a job, why not set up identifying as an artist as reason to deny welfare?

You could probably find a fairly strong link between being a victim of serious child abuse or whatever, and inability to find a job, would you deny victims of child abuse payment? The obvious retort here is 'the user chooses their behavior', but I think you're well aware that for serious heroin addicts, cold turkey often isn't a viable choice, and rehab doesn't work at all for many.

The best treatment for many is prescription heroin, as demonstrated in switzerland, as long as this is unavailable for addicts in Australia, the only option is to continue to self-medicate.

Addiction being universally recognized as a serious illness, should be grounds for individuals to claim the Disability support pension, in which case there are limited to no job search requirements or expectations.

This isn't strictly about unemployment, would you feel differently if we were talking about the aged pension?

Sgt Grumbles

Banned
HSC
N/A
i think instead of being able to buy whatever they want, they should be given coupons for food instead so it restricts them
Which they will then sell for a percentage of the face value to buy drugs

Sgt Grumbles

Banned
HSC
N/A
Via @art&Dole

"hello,
i know you won’t publish this but….
all it would take would the the unemployed to form a union and lobby Centrelink about
changes to the law.
there are enough voters in this group to blow any gov’t out of office.
Rudd got in on disgruntled unemployed.
iow, your site will not help anyone.
david."

EDIT: This sense of entitlement is mindboggling
These people don't even understand basic economics, holy shit. (How will you pay for the union you douchebags, also how will you pay for advertising, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)