Should States prevail over Federal? (1 Viewer)

beefnoodle

HSC
I was reading an article written by Walter Williams. In contrast to mainstream history and believes, the American Civil War was not a war about slavery. It was between the States' right to secession and Federal domination.

"
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]THE PROBLEMS THAT LED TO THE CIVIL WAR are the same problems today ---- big, intrusive government. The reason we don't face the specter of another Civil War is because today's Americans don't have yesteryear's spirit of liberty and constitutional respect, and political statesmanship is in short supply."
Link: Walter Williams

I have also read some works covering the "other side" of history. IMO, having a Federal Government that prevails over the States is dangerous. It is dangerous to give power to a single institution.

IMO, the States should prevail over the Federal.

[/FONT]

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I was reading an article written by Walter Williams. In contrast to mainstream history and believes, the American Civil War was not a war about slavery. It was between the States' right to secession and Federal domination.

"
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]THE PROBLEMS THAT LED TO THE CIVIL WAR are the same problems today ---- big, intrusive government. The reason we don't face the specter of another Civil War is because today's Americans don't have yesteryear's spirit of liberty and constitutional respect, and political statesmanship is in short supply."
Link: Walter Williams

I have also read some works covering the "other side" of history. IMO, having a Federal Government that prevails over the States is dangerous. It is dangerous to give power to a single institution.

IMO, the States should prevail over the Federal.

[/FONT]
Following that logic, if the states had of prevailed slavery would have persisted. Ooooh well done there sunshine. :rolleyes:

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
i dont even understand how that would work

what would the role of the federal government be then?

wouldnt it make more sense to abolish fed govt?

of course not, abolishing state govt would make far more sense

BlackDragon

HSC
of course not, abolishing state govt would make far more sense
Abolishing state and local governments would be mistake on a similar level to removing the federal government. If there was only one level of government all funding and services would become centristic in nature, and only the major population bases would be recognised. This is even more true in terms of policy and legislation. Smaller regional centres would be completely left out (even more so than they are now).

BlackDragon

HSC
Also, the removal of the federal government doesn't even make sense. If we were to have no federal government would each state be its own nation? A sovereign entity? In what way would Australia as a whole still be a nation? Would each state have to develop its own macro economic policies? Its own income tax? It doesn't really make sense. Would they have to trade with each other like countries?

Last edited:

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeh thats what i meant RE: removal of fed government.

both options dont make sense

Edit: its illogical to havea central body with less power than the bodies it is governing

vikraman

HSC
Also, the removal of the federal government doesn't even make sense. If we were to have no federal government would each state be its own nation? A sovereign entity? In what way would Australia as a whole still be a nation? Would each state have to develop its own macro economic policies? Its own income tax? It doesn't really make sense. Would they have to trade with each other like countries?
perhaps a smaller federal government and bigger state governments are better for us. like the swiss cantonal system? (although fuck direct democracy thats just gay) If the state governments got more revenue and had to be responsible for more things the federal government by definition would shrink. so if NSW has a shitty educational policy we can just move to victoria or if qld decides to have internet censorship we can just move to WA. now we are gonna have shitty internet censorship and you cant run away coz its a federal govt policy...

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
With a Federal government you can set national standards, and I think that was one of the reasons there was support for federation - stuff like railway gauges. Then again, probably not that relevant nowadays.

Personally I'd like to keep federal gov't for things like defence and foreign relations, and have states act under general un-binding guidelines from Canberra. I dunno, just so long as everything works.

beefnoodle

HSC
The point of having more than one government is to frustrate them. You do not want a government that has a monopoly power (the Federal Government). This is my system:
-District Government
-State Government
-Federal Government

The State has the power NOT to follow the laws enforced by the Federal.
The District has the power NOT to follow the laws enforced by the State and Federal.

As Milton Friedman pointed out, if you are unhappy with your local government, you can move to another district. If you are unhappy with your State government, you can move to another State. But if you are unhappy with the Federal Government, there is nothing you can do except moving to another country.

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
Yes and what's the differnece between moving to a different district compared to a different cOuntry u penk lol

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
federal government should have the same or less power than state government

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
federal government should have the same or less power than state government
State Government should have the same or less power than Local Government.

Don't you see how ridiculous your position is? Would you care to explain it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)