Drinking age to rise to 21 (due to road toll) (1 Viewer)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Rudd wants to lift legal drinking age

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says he'd personally like to see the legal drinking age lifted to 21 years.
But there would have to be rigorous debate and evidence that the policy could reduce binge drinking before the government would consider it, he says.
"If the evidence is there and it is capable of being proven that it works, then we (will) look at these things and make a decision," Mr Rudd said, when quizzed on ABC Television's Q&A program on Monday night.
Mr Rudd told the audience, including 200 high school students, that booze, like alcopops, was a concerning factor in P-Plate driving deaths.
"(The) drinking rates of young teenagers (is) going through the roof ... and hugely affecting their ability to, frankly, manoeuvre a car."
He stopped short of calling for a federal intervention, but said "a whole lot of work" was needed to address the alarming road toll.
The federal government was working to regulate car safety standards across the states, and automatic systems in cars for better handling, he added.

OH SHIT

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn't matter, people start drinking when they're like 15 anyway.

HSC
They want it to happen, and most likely won't happen!
I don't want it too :(, I have been waiting to turn 18 for too long lol

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
This is shit. The more you make something tabboo the more people will rebel against it.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
This is a stupid idea tbh. If people who are 18 and over are not legally allowed to drink they will anyway and it will be in houses, and places where noone can monitor how much they are drinking, at least now a bar tender can refuse to serve intoxicated people.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
This is a stupid idea tbh. If people who are 18 and over are not legally allowed to drink they will anyway and it will be in houses, and places where noone can monitor how much they are drinking, at least now a bar tender can refuse to serve intoxicated people.
they've always been able to do that?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
they've always been able to do that?
I think she means that currently 18 - 21 year olds drink out at bars etc, and are refused service once they are too drunk, whereas if they are not allowed to drink out, they will just drink past that point and fuck up just the same :p

LordPc

HSC
wasnt there some thing where if a p plater was caught driving while under the influence, then they lost their car? or was that for something else

either way, that'd solve the problem cause either the p plater loses their need for alcohol and driving, their car or their life.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
If they change it I am filling my bedroom with enough alcohol to last me until I turn 21. (and that is a lot of alcohol)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Isn't America a test case for this? Their drinking age is 21 years. Just compare the statistics on drink driving, and see if it's different to Australia

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Guys I might've sensationalized the thread title a bit...

But like I don't understand Rudd's thinking:

"(The) drinking rates of young teenagers (is) going through the roof ... and hugely affecting their ability to, frankly, manoeuvre a car."
He stopped short of calling for a federal intervention, but said "a whole lot of work" was needed to address the alarming road toll."

So people are illegally driving whislt intoxicated (0 for p-platers, i.e. teenagers) so the solution is to make another law?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Why not just ban driving until people are 30. It will improve the statistics even more.

Seriously this bullcrap with the government 'protecting' us from things that are caused by peoples stupidity is going too far.

It's up to the individual and families to educate their children not to make these choices. There will always be people who ignore and endanger themselves and get killed. This doesn't mean that the rest of society must be disadvantaged in the process.
There will always be danger with one steps outside their house.

Does anyone consider the disadvantages of banning people who can vote, fight for their country and drive to not be able to drink?
This is stupid.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Why not just ban driving until people are 30. It will improve the statistics even more.

Seriously this bullcrap with the government 'protecting' us from things that are caused by peoples stupidity is going too far.

It's up to the individual and families to educate their children not to make these choices. There will always be people who ignore and endanger themselves and get killed. This doesn't mean that the rest of society must be disadvantaged in the process.
There will always be danger with one steps outside their house.

Does anyone consider the disadvantages of banning people who can vote, fight for their country and drive to not be able to drink?
This is stupid.
Exactly. The gov't is acting like overprotective parents and it works the same way- the more you restrict people the more they will rebel. They can't keep cutting us off from things because they're trying to create a society where we are all protected from "bad" things etc etc

HSC
Uni Grad
Exactly. The gov't is acting like overprotective parents and it works the same way- the more you restrict people the more they will rebel. They can't keep cutting us off from things because they're trying to create a society where we are all protected from "bad" things etc etc
+1

We have pretty fair and reasonable laws atm (in general), but politicians are getting really controlling and proposing some pretty stupid shit just to exercise their powers.
As someone mentioned people drink at like 15 now so it aint gunna change anything.

We're supposed to have freedom but it feels like we are heading backwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)