• Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The believer in libertarian values does not really have a great choice when voting in Australia. Neither of the major parties could be said to fully align with libertarian values, some of the minor parties are perhaps closer - however they will not win power and have to do preference deals with the major parties. So the question becomes whom does the libertarian compromise with?

Free-society, controlled market: This broad grouping includes parties which are traditionally in support of social freedoms, civil liberties, etc however who traditionally advocate for state intervention in the market. The ALP is the major party in this category, and the group includes minor parties like the Greens and the Sex Party.

Controlled-society, free market: This is a broad group of social conservatives, often with a protestant religious background. They do however generally speaking believe in free markets (or at least free-er) than the other group. The Libs are the major party in this category, joined by Family First/etc and other less nationalism based minor parties.

Ultimately though because of our two-party preferred system it comes down to Liberal or Labor. Of these two which should the libertarian support and why?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The poll is retarded since you've given options of Labour and Liberal instead of 'Free-society, controlled market' or 'Controlled-society, free market'. At the moment both Labour and Liberal have equally dodgy social liberties records.

This makes even less sense in Australia because it isn't a two-party system at all (though I concede you included 'preferred'). The Coalition has a strong Agrarian element to it in the form of the Nationals, and votes independently of the Liberals every now and then, and the Greens almost hold (and at the next election will hold) the balance of power in the Senate.

But I voted Labour since the Greens are strongly pro-civil rights and are part of the 'Free-society, controlled market' category. I'm first and foremost a social libertarian so of course I'm going to support 'Free-society, controlled market'.

badquinton304

HSC
the poll is retarded since you've given options of labour and liberal instead of 'free-society, controlled market' or 'controlled-society, free market'. At the moment both labour and liberal have equally dodgy social liberties records.

This makes even less sense in australia because it isn't a two-party system at all (though i concede you included 'preferred'). The coalition has a strong agrarian element to it in the form of the nationals, and votes independently of the liberals every now and then, and the greens almost hold (and at the next election will hold) the balance of power in the senate.

But i voted labour since the greens are strongly pro-civil rights and are part of the 'free-society, controlled market' category. I'm first and foremost a social libertarian so of course i'm going to support 'free-society, controlled market'.
+1

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm free society, though I don't think that Labor represent those values anymore.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I know. There's no way a smaller party will gain the majority. At least, not in this coming election.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
imo rudd is so bad on social liberties he's starting to make the libs look a better option purely on that axis :O

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
imo rudd is so bad on social liberties he's starting to make the libs look a better option purely on that axis :O
Rudd isn't doing a great job on the social libertarian front but he isn't making the Liberals look like a better option. Do you have the memory of a goldfish or something?

zaxmacks

HSC
We should abolish parliament and do what ever we want. That'll be fun for the first few days. :)

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
I'm an anarcho capitalist so i do hate both parties but....

I would rather have a better economy, so liberals

labour has just pissed me off with its Keynesian take of the financial crisis. I think i would be able to handle any limits on my liberties that would be imposed from a liberal party government, for now.........

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rudd isn't doing a great job on the social libertarian front but he isn't making the Liberals look like a better option. Do you have the memory of a goldfish or something?
Name one policy Howard implemented that was worse for Australian civil liberties than what Rudd's doing now.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Name one policy Howard implemented that was worse for Australian civil liberties than what Rudd's doing now.
Australian sedition law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rudd hasn't implemented his policies yet, some policies the liberals proposed just before they lost office were pretty bad, contemporary liberals in 2010 still make reference to bronwyn bishops 'the winnable war on drugs', suggesting that its reforms should be introduced if they were in government, which would be a hell of a lot more messed up than anything rudd has done on alcohol.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
You misunderstand me - I'm saying neither side makes the other look better or worse.

I was going to give the Australian Anti-Terrorism Act as an example but all I really have to mention is SUSPENDING the Racial Discrimination Act so it could legally proceed with the Northern Territory National Emergency Response...

I'm not saying Labor is any better - just saying you're a fool to think either side will champion social liberty.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

You misunderstand me - I'm saying neither side makes the other look better or worse.

I was going to give the Australian Anti-Terrorism Act as an example but all I really have to mention is SUSPENDING the Racial Discrimination Act so it could legally proceed with the Northern Territory National Emergency Response...

I'm not saying Labor is any better - just saying you're a fool to think either side will champion social liberty.
Racial discrimination acts aren't a libertarian concept, and they're already discriminating based on race by giving extra welfare handouts.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
But interventions in aboriginal communities are rite
It's probably marginally better than leaving little kids to be raped, but worse than offering them a choice of moving or losing their welfare.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I don't see how Labour even remotely supports a "free society".
And are non-libertarians just voting for who they would vote for or something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)