Addict Claire Murray offered second chance for liver transplant (1 Viewer)

HSC
Addict Claire Murray offered second chance for liver transplant | News.com.au

Addict Claire Murray offered second chance for liver transplant

http://www.news.com.au/national/add...iver-transplant/story-e6frfkvr-1225834549165#

Drug girl's family plead for liver help
Family of young Perth woman who took drugs after a liver transplant explain why they want another...

• Mother, 24, will die without new liver
  • Returned to drugs after first transplant
  • State offers to fund NZ trip
TAXPAYERS may have to foot the bill for a dying drug user's flight to New Zealand for life-saving surgery.

Claire Murray, a 24-year-old mother-of-two, has been told by doctors that she only has months to live if she does not receive a liver transplant.
It would be her second transplant after years of drug abuse, including heroin and amphetamines, PerthNow reports.
She has admitted to taking drugs after her first liver transplant last year - but has pledged to make the most of her second chance at life after being told she could not be considered for a second transplant in WA.
Health Minister Kim Hames said there were seven other people in WA who were waiting for their first liver transplant.
He said it would be "patently unfair" for Ms Murray to jump the queue for a second liver.
But Dr Hames said the State Government was prepared to pay for her and her father to travel to New Zealand so she could be considered for a "live" liver transplant.
The procedure would use a piece of a liver from a living family member.
Ms Murray's father Michael today told ABC radio that his daughter would die within months without a second chance liver transplant.
"This is a complex and emotional case and the decision not to put Ms Murray back on the waiting list for a liver transplant was made by a team of experts in the field,'' Dr Hames said.
"It's important to remember we do not have enough donor organs in Western Australia, and someone has to die to provide a sick person with an organ. Last year, three people died while waiting for a liver transplant.
"We have offered to fly Ms Murray to New Zealand where she can be reviewed for a live person-to-person liver transplant.
"That procedure is not done anywhere in Australia, but it involves taking about a third of the liver from a willing donor, and transplanting it into the patient.
"There are risks associated in that procedure both for the donor and the patient and there is no guarantee that Ms Murray would be suitable.
"I have a great deal of sympathy for the Murray family.”

Opinions?

pman

Banned
HSC
Piss off, the australian hospitals refused her one for good reason, she abused the first two livers she had by taking drugs, someone who has liver cancer or something that could be saved with that liver will miss out and either die or spend extra time on one of those filter machines (what are they called again?).

pman

Banned
HSC
I read a different article yesterday that implied the live liver bit could be given to anyone (didn't say it was a family member donation)...we shouldn't be paying for it though...its her fault...we paid for her first liver.

HSC
yes well her father is donating a part of his liver.

but yes i agree that it should not be a tax payer funded operation but hey thats what you get with tax payer funded healthcare brah. the only reason she isnt getting a new liver from a donor in WA is because she is back at the end of the cue and will die without the transplant from her father

pman

Banned
HSC
oh yeah, the machine i mentioned earlier is the kidney one so ignore that.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
from the article said:
She has admitted to taking drugs after her first liver transplant last year - but has pledged to make the most of her second chance at life after being told she could not be considered for a second transplant in WA.
wtf, this would be her 3rd chance at life. She fucked up her original liver she was born with (1st chance), then she had a transplant (2nd chance), and fuck that one up too.

imo she doesnt deserve a transplant, but it's her dad who's giving her a part of his liver, so thats up to him, and it's totally understandable that he wants the best for his daughter and wants her to live and stuff.

but the state shouldnt pay for the flight and the surgery, she should.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Actually she originally became a drug addict/had her liver wrecked by prescription medicine she was given when she was like 12, it was beyond her control.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
oh ok.

but still, i dont see why the state should pay for it. Does this mean the state is paying for everyone else's surgery too?

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
I defz agree that taxpayers mullah shouldn't be going toward this operation.
She should lose custody of her children?

pman

Banned
HSC
Actually she originally became a drug addict/had her liver wrecked by prescription medicine she was given when she was like 12, it was beyond her control.
I was put on the same drugs as she originally was..I'm not a user and never have been..she chose to get addicted...trust me, withdrawel isn't that bad

pman

Banned
HSC
yeah, you get withdrawell syptoms from some drugs....pretty sure I've heard doctors using it as well as the media about illegal drugs, look it up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)