Philosophy of Religion: Revisiting the Euthyphro Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Assume God exists.

- Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?

To this day this very pertinent question deserves due contemplation by the theist and is an important consideration for the atheist when launching their attack.

Serious contenders need only to reply.

Durga

HSC
Assume God exists.

- Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?

To this day this very pertinent question deserves due contemplation by the theist and is an important consideration for the atheist when launching their attack.

Serious contenders need only to reply.
I'm an atheist, but I would imagine a theist saying something along the lines of "but if it's not commanded by God, what makes it morally good?"

Scorch

HSC
I'm an atheist, but I would imagine a theist saying something along the lines of "but if it's not commanded by God, what makes it morally good?"
Yep, I would as well, and it is an entirely self-defeating notion.

I would like to add to that the idea of whether something atrocious, such as the murder of children, sex slavery or war crimes, is made morally good if commanded by God ...

Durga

HSC
Yep, I would as well, and it is an entirely self-defeating notion.

I would like to add to that the idea of whether something atrocious, such as the murder of children, sex slavery or war crimes, is made morally good if commanded by God ...
Yes, just as the stoning of various of types of unjustly labelled 'criminals' are perfectly morally acceptable. The reason the don't take place in Western culture? The proof of a changing moral zeitgeist! :rolleyes:

Titburger

HSC
Yes, just as the stoning of various of types of unjustly labelled 'criminals' are perfectly morally acceptable. The reason the don't take place in Western culture? The proof of a changing moral zeitgeist! :rolleyes:
Context is religions best friend

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)