Embryo Cloning (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Purely from the childs view point how would you feel if one day you realised that you were an exact replica of someone else. You dont have your own unique DNA (identical twins dont count :p) and are just someone else with different experiences.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
i rekon its ok.... but would that mean that they really came from their parents??? or their grandparents???

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
ok now it decides to work.. but i aint gonna jinx it

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
nope... i got a problem with these post thingos

jayz

walking
the most basic reason to live is to die within the longest period possible, so based on this theory, there is no reason y life should not be destoryed to create an extended life for another being.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
i did.. .its all good.. but now i have to refresh pages by myself... i dunno how that started.. gotta get my dad to fix it... yeh ne ways.. back to the topic.....

is there really a necessity to human cloning?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by SKA
i did.. .its all good.. but now i have to refresh pages by myself... i dunno how that started.. gotta get my dad to fix it... yeh ne ways.. back to the topic.....

is there really a necessity to human cloning?
ah yeah- kool. :p

yeah, as with cloning- u need to clone to make organs and stuff

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
well i don't think anything bad abt. it...thats if it doesn't involve killing life.
but it is killing life, (if you are talking about stem cell research) depending on when you believe life begins
Originally posted by SKA
i dont get it??? who would the parents be??
1 parent. the parent would be the human it came from, imo

i don;t think it is fair to clone for a person. growing up knowing you were a clone degrades the quality of that person's life

for stem cell research - it isn't entirely necessary to clone embryos (adult cells can be used). i am not sure if it is right. it is killing a life, so in that sense it's not. but there are some people in such painful situations in the world, who would do anything to get better, and thinking they may be able to is a special thing, and i don't know if i could think of the embryo in that case.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Cloning of humans should not be allowed, cause most people who are cloned would probably live for about 10 years, but cloning for disease cures, eg: diabieties should be encouraged so that we can get rid of these diseases which are incureable. The world would be a better place without them.

Tusitula

cute (ugly but adorable)
HSC
where did you get that 10 year statistic?

I know dolly didnt live for long but still?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Cape
Cloning of humans should not be allowed, cause most people who are cloned would probably live for about 10 years, but cloning for disease cures, eg: diabieties should be encouraged so that we can get rid of these diseases which are incureable. The world would be a better place without them.
i think the world is definitely a better place without the old diseases which have been eradicated by immunisation. but do new diseases take over?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
i think the world is definitely a better place without the old diseases which have been eradicated by immunisation. but do new diseases take over?
yeah, cloning ppl. will bring with it new diseasess!

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Actually it is turning out that cloning is WAY more complicated than people thought. It comes down to gene expression - most noteably female gene expression. See the X chromosome is special - all the information you need is really contained on just one X chromosome - which is why boys can get away with having one X and one Y. So how does the body work out which X chromosome it should be listening to when they have different genes. Answer:- the fetus selectively develops with the majority of cells having one of the X chromosomes "dominant" but it may not be all cells. This explains the "tabby" pattern in female cats. When they cloned a tabby cat the cloned "duaghter" had a different tabby pattern to the mother - reason - different X chromosome expression pattern.

They are starting to believe that this is the reason why more women suffer from autoimmune disoders than men.

Anyway, I still have mixed feelings on this one - I can see the many wonderful medical opportunities and advances on one hand, but don't like the idea of human embryos being used for such. No. I can go with stem cell research, no problem - as in cells used from the umbilical cord, etc. But not cloning embryos - even IF they were just supposed to get "trashed"... it bothers me.
Surely there's a better option?

Hmmm, in the meantime here is a link to lots of articles on cloning.

http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/cloning/

mayhemily

HSC
I think the idea is disturbing.

What reason do we have for cloning apart from stem cell research etc? I mean, the body itself works against cloning!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)