School Chaplaincy Program (1 Viewer)

ej114

HSC
With Bob Carr last month slamming the funding given to chaplain program I've been curious to know what other school chaplains are like.

The chaplain at my school she is late 20's trained science and maths teacher (she has taught at the school as a casual before), she mostly has dealings with the people that want to ask her questions, ask her for advice (I want to her for advice on something and we talked caught up a week later long story short we ended up talking about the matter i wanted advice on and then got onto drinking (pe parties in particular), what living on uni campus is like etc.) All in all she is really good, not pushy about religion (she doesn't push her beliefs onto students when talking to them about religion) easy to get alone with. This is coming from a public school student.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Re: Chaplain's

is she even religiously trained at all? I wouldn't be surprised if they just shoved her in there because none of the older staff wanted to do it, that's how advisors/welfare type roles usually work at public schools

ej114

HSC

from memory to an extent but i'm not 100% sure to what extent, religion at my school doesn't get a lot of time because only 10-20 out of approximately 200 people in my year go to scripture by choice the most of any year other that year 7.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

"Stay true to who you are, don't let anyone else define you, because somewhere in there you know exactly who you are" Sara Ramirez

Lentern

HSC

is she even religiously trained at all? I wouldn't be surprised if they just shoved her in there because none of the older staff wanted to do it, that's how advisors/welfare type roles usually work at public schools
The term chaplaincy was adopted because of it's familiarity, there is not actually a religious requirement.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Absolutely no reason why the program shouldn't involve properly trained counselors instead.

It's just successive governments sucking up to the Christian lobby.

Lentern

HSC

Absolutely no reason why the program shouldn't involve properly trained counselors instead.

Does there exist such a ready made assembly line of counsellors that can be dispatched?

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A

Could not upboat this more if I tried

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Didn't a bunch of students kill themselves after consulting with these unqualified charlatans.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.news.com.au/national/sch...nd-psychologists/story-e6frfkvr-1226083530464

A TAXPAYER-funded program which allegedly puts unqualified chaplains in public schools is putting children at risk, counsellors and psychologists said today.

Vulnerable students dealing with complex emotional problems instead need to have access to qualified professionals, a spokeswoman for Australia's peak body for counsellors said.

“School chaplains (or any other unqualified person) dealing with mental health problems or sexuality issues in school aged children and adolescents could be placing these young people at risk,” the Australian Guidance and Counsellors Association spokeswoman said.

“No one who is unqualified should be providing this service to young people."

The comments come after ABC’s 7.30 aired allegations last night that Christian chaplains hired to provide "pastoral care" were instead offering counselling and recruiting children to Christianity in breach of government guidelines.

The chaplains were also reportedly handing out literature that claimed homosexuality was wrong and that condoms were not effective for birth control and promoted promiscuity.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
im fine with telling white people that condoms arent effective forms of birth control

tell blacks and abos to use them though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)