UN Spies (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Should MI5 have spied on the UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan if it is indeed true? Should Clare Short have announced it on Brittish radio? Discuss ...

Alexander

Gold Member
They had the means to do so, it was in their interests to do so...as for this party pooper, off with head.
At the end of the day, who gives a damn what Annan thinks. We all knew he was against the war, but that meant practically nothing in terms of stopping the war...although i liked richard butler's comment: "you dont tackle the ref."

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Hmm.. I thought more people on here would be against the ethics of this situation. It is quite low to spy on what is ostensibly an internationalist organisation, and does demean the UN as yet another 'intelligence' target... Besides probably being a violation of international law.

It is primarily these types of actions that attempt to render the UN irrelevant. A self-fufilling 'prophecy', if you will. Look at Tony Blair's recent advocation of law permitting unilateral preemptive action against 'rogue states'..

As for whether it should have been announced by Claire Short, it is in the public interest to know these happenings, I believe.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
but it's a well known secret that this stuff goes on all the time between all the major players on the international scene - it's just not declared publicly for diplomatic reasons. claire short, however, had nothing to lose by coming out with this, hence the allegations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)