"Student challenges ruling on her HSC" (1 Viewer)

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
A FORMER Abbotsleigh student who is now studying medicine at the University of Sydney is claiming the NSW Board of Studies wrongly refused to grant her special examination provisions in the form of a computer and extra exam time for the 2008 Higher School Certificate.

The 21-year-old woman, who does not wish to be named, was placed fifth in the state in her HSC chemistry exam with a mark in the high 90s in 2007, when she was in year 11. A year later she scored a university entry rank of 99.95, with marks of about 94 per cent in her English and modern history exams.

She was granted rest breaks during the exams in response to her application to the Board of Studies for special examination provisions. She has a disability described as a malfunctioning of the wrist. But she believes she should have been granted a computer or extra time to compensate for cramping in her hand after prolonged periods of writing.

Had she been granted a computer or extra time, the student believes she would have achieved much higher marks.
''The point isn't that I was doing badly. I did do well, what a normal person would consider well,'' she said.
''But you want your disability to be sufficiently addressed with special examination provisions so that everyone has a capability to communicate what they know in the HSC examinations, otherwise it is not a fair test of your knowledge.
''Marks were lost often towards the end of the paper where my hand fatigued and I wasn't able to complete the paper. My writing became illegible and my hand was cramping.''
The young woman's mother has consistently complained to Abbotsleigh School for Girls in Wahroonga and the NSW Board of Studies since 2008 claiming discrimination against her daughter, saying this had prevented her from achieving her true potential.
The mother believes her daughter was denied the opportunity to achieve higher marks and placement statewide.
The matter was escalated to the Administrative Review Tribunal where it was the subject of a three-day hearing this week.
The NSW Board of Studies hired a senior counsel and another lawyer to defend its case against the young woman who is claiming indirect discrimination on the basis of her disability.

The mother and her daughter believe she could have achieved higher marks had she been given special provisions.
''It would have enabled me to communicate my response in full. I would have been able to continue writing,'' she said.
The student has also claimed the Board of Studies wrongly denied her misadventure claim which was made on the basis that she was not given adequate special provisions for her disability in the exams.

However, Chris Ronalds, SC, representing the Board of Studies, said a successful application under the policy only meant a student was given the higher of their school assessment or exam marks. The young woman had achieved a higher exam mark.
The girl's mother, who was repeatedly warned against interrupting tribunal proceedings, has claimed for four years that Abbotsleigh did not give her daughter a sufficiently high school assessment.

During the tribunal hearing, Ms Ronalds said the former Abbotsleigh student wanted ''the entire Board of Studies policy on special provisions rewritten'' to provide her with a personal advantage.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...-on-her-hsc-20120427-1xq32.html#ixzz1tHZQFz7k

Speechless. What does she have to gain? An extra 0.05 of a mark...
Don't we all have a "malfunctioning wrist" after prolonged periods of writing.
The rich are so removed from reality. Disadvantages/Disabled my ass

HSC
I cannot even fathom the stupidity of this girl and her parents. What does she gain in achieving 100UAI? At the moment, anyway? Nothing. Get higher assessment marks? Get rank 1 then, idiot.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
It absolutely infuriates me when people complain very harshly even when they have gotten into their desired course. Come on, you got a 99.95 uai. I bet there are many others who are not as fortunate as her. Also, uai and hsc I'm sure doesn't matter after you complete school. No one exactly cares too much about it after that.

HSC
N/A
I would never want her to be my doctor :L
but seriously, her HSC was 4 years ago, I don't understand why she's getting so angry now.
Dumb betch.

inJust

HSC
Fuck off. That's all I have to say to her. You know what? I'm going to apply that I was born dumb so I get extra time. I could be getting all state ranks if it wasn't for my disability.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
How the hell did she get past the interview for USYD medicine entry?
Her family has the resources to prepare her for the interview

Fuck off. That's all I have to say to her. You know what? I'm going to apply that I was born dumb so I get extra time. I could be getting all state ranks if it wasn't for my disability.
Well theres been past reports where this practice of apply/granting unqualified special provisions is widespread especially in the more affluent communities. So if they're applying and succeeding in it. I think those from lower SES should abuse this system as well. At the end of the day there is no equality in our education system, Money = Success.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I wouldnt say money equals success tbh thats far too much of a generalisation and in all honesty is by no means always true. However I do agree that many private schools rort the special provisions system

findx

HSC
Are we allowed to name the student? The article gives some clues to finding out her name ..

Last edited:

unLimitieDx

HSC
Yes we do all have a "malfunctioning wrist" especially in essay subjects like english, nearing the end most our writings becomes messier than our initial writing!

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Fuckin lol. and if she didn't want to be named, why would they write that she state ranked chem, let alone 5th in the state. it's publicly available info on the official BOS... wth...

loaves

HSC
Hahahahahaha omg I cannot even.

(More seriously though, this is obviously yet another example of wealthy students being granted unneeded special provisions. Gross.)

premskies

HSC
Fuckin lol. and if she didn't want to be named, why would they write that she state ranked chem, let alone 5th in the state. it's publicly available info on the official BOS... wth...
.. and their school website.

beehappy

HSC
What an idiot... "malfunctioning wrist". I hope her wrist doesn't "malfunction" when she performs surgery.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I can't believe someone who got into USYD medicine is actually this stupid. She got into her course!!! And she's TWENTY ONE and been going on about it for 4 years. Why would you care about a score for undergrad admission when you are ALREADY IN UNI? Almost got a perfect score and honestly most people would forget it was out of 100 back then. And now we know her name, never going to her as a doctor, wouldn't want that malfunctioning wrist.

But what a RORT, she got extra time??? What an advantage. She's obvs somehow smart but that really could have given her the edge to get that 5th state rank in chem in the first place and her other subs. Abbotsleigh private schools riding every gravy train they can. Maybe she had a doctor father who helped dodge up some medical forms, I mean it's probably a genetic condition right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)