Pacific Solution conditions violate international humanitarian law: UNHCR (1 Viewer)

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
This article was written by Sathius005 with the help of some ABC News journalists.
Pacific Solution conditions violate international humanitarian law: UNHCR.
The United Nations refugee agency has released a scathing report on the Manus Island detention centre in Papua New Guinea.
The report accuses the Australian and PNG governments of breaching their international human rights obligations. The UN has also stated that Tony Abbott’s plans to reintroduce Temporary Protection Visa’s are toxic, ineffective and does not stop the boats. According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Tony Abbott is a risk to Australia’s border protection policies.

The UN says the temporary living conditions are harsh and in some cases inadequate.
Representatives of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) spent three days on Manus Island a fortnight ago.
UNHCR's regional representative Richard Towle says they have made a number of recommendations.
"The key recommendation is to put in place proper processing arrangements as soon as possible and start looking at people's claims," he said.
"The key failing is that there are in place no legal frameworks for the processing of refugee claims.
"If the sole purpose of transfer from Australia to Papua New Guinea was to process people, one would expect there'd be some kind of process in place for people when they get there.
"These 221 people are being held in mandatory closed and indefinite detention, which is a very serious violation of international law."
The UNHCR has long opposed offshore detention. Of specific concern is their view that it is difficult, if not impossible, to meet international standards in remote parts of the Pacific.
Mr Towle says conditions on Manus Island were "harsh, hot humid, damp and cramped".
"If you couple that with the other factors of a closed detention regime and add in the particular vulnerabilities of children, you get a very troubling patchwork of issues that need to be addressed," he said.
The key failing is that there are in place no legal frameworks for the processing of refugee claims.
UNHCR's Richard Towle
He says the current system is damaging children.
"We don't think any further children should be transferred to Manus until these very important planks of policy and arrangements are put in place," he said.
There are 34 children being held on Manus Island and Mr Towle says the Government should consider moving them.
"That's a decision for both governments to review when they've had a look at the totality of the report," he said.
"But certainly our view at this stage is that the current arrangements for children are unsatisfactory.
"Children have been sighted far too close to single males, where there's been disruption and noise and demonstrations."
Both incoming immigration minister Brendan O'Connor and outgoing minister Chris Bowen declined AM's invitation to respond to the report.
In a statement, a spokesman for Mr Bowen said the standards at the regional processing centre are in line with standards for locals on Manus Island.
He also said the processing of asylum claims by the PNG government will occur in due course.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
We could always just shoot or jail them like every other country does.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

the entire refugee situation. nobody cares.

jdennis

HSC
Many do, actually, care about the government's treatment of refugees. In many ways it is in breach of the Refugee Convention as well as being highly morally questionable.
And it's not just a matter of "I hate right-wing governments therefore I'll pick on them on this issue". Labor is just as bad on this and equally inhumane.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I care about it... I actually knew a girl in uni that was an Iraqi refugee... had to flee her own country, simply because something as trivial as wearing a cross would get her killed... smartest person you would know, committed, driven, sharp as a tack, on the straight and narrow... Wears it with pride now...

would gladly give some of my tax coin to let more of those in this country... beats the queue of bogans outside centrelink...

It's easy to not care in the comfort of your own arm chair...

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Many do, actually, care about the government's treatment of refugees. In many ways it is in breach of the Refugee Convention as well as being highly morally questionable.
And it's not just a matter of "I hate right-wing governments therefore I'll pick on them on this issue". Labor is just as bad on this and equally inhumane.
And what have you done about it? Realistically most people don't give a fuck besides bleeding hearts. Refugee issue is just an entire bogan vote fighting where libs and labour are fucking people over. Realistically, nobody gives a fuck. You may "care." Same as how people "care" about the environment when theyre buying a new phone every two years and eating shitty food that damages our environment.

jdennis

HSC
And what have you done about it? Realistically most people don't give a fuck besides bleeding hearts. Refugee issue is just an entire bogan vote fighting where libs and labour are fucking people over. Realistically, nobody gives a fuck. You may "care." Same as how people "care" about the environment when theyre buying a new phone every two years and eating shitty food that damages our environment.
How come you get to tell me what I do and don't care about?

The assumption that I don't actually do anything about the issues that concern me is just plain wrong, by the way. I'm not going to disclose exactly what/how much I do or donate to organisations that are involved in areas that I care about but I make an effort to actually assist in whatever way I can.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
How come you get to tell me what I do and don't care about?

The assumption that I don't actually do anything about the issues that concern me is just plain wrong, by the way. I'm not going to disclose exactly what/how much I do or donate to organisations that are involved in areas that I care about but I make an effort to actually assist in whatever way I can.
What I'm saying most people don't care enough to actually try and make a difference. It's like most bleeding heart causes. People will bitch and moan moan and bitch and do shit like "protest" but don't do much in aiding systematic change.

Even if what aus does violate intl humanitarian law, nobody is going to do shit about it because it's not that important of an issue compared to the dirty shit other countries do.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
I care about it... I actually knew a girl in uni that was an Iraqi refugee... had to flee her own country, simply because something as trivial as wearing a cross would get her killed... smartest person you would know, committed, driven, sharp as a tack, on the straight and narrow... Wears it with pride now...
lol, did you fuck her??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)