ACT Same-Sex Marriage Act in the High Court (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...es-decision-20131203-2yoaj.html#ixzz2mOnBLtgF

Thoughts?

I think it's pretty clear that the HC will deem it unconstitutional since the Constitution is pretty clear about who can legislate on marriage, but I suspect we will see some comments by the Justices that push for a referendum to either change the Constitution or implore the Federal Govt. to legalise SSM, not that they will listen of course.

eastpak

HSC
N/A
Re: ACT Same-Sex Marriage Bill in the High Court

in the whole world this issue is brought up lately...everyone is talking about gay people, gay marriage and whatnot. I wonder why

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

in the whole world this issue is brought up lately...everyone is talking about gay people, gay marriage and whatnot. I wonder why
because time for social change

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

such an important thing

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

such an important thing
Yeah, it's not exactly an issue worthy of the HC's time or the Govt. really. It should just quickly be legalised so the world can move to more concerning matters with legitimate consequences, but the conservatives always have to get in the way and make it all difficult.

newcastle2012

HSC

There should be no legalized gay marriage in Australia which forces the church to recognize it tho in a civil union I haven't a problem but when the balance between state and church is blurred there can only be problems for all.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

There should be no legalized gay marriage in Australia which forces the church to recognize it tho in a civil union I haven't a problem but when the balance between state and church is blurred there can only be problems for all.
What has churches got to do with anything? Nobody is asking churches to give services for gay marriage. Marriage as an institution has always been part of a state's function.

newcastle2012

HSC

Remember marriage is recognized and stems from the Church (and equivalent religions ways) anything apart from those are civil unions and not "marriages" in the traditional sense. Anyway all I was stating was forcing the Church or other religions to recognize it would result in large scale protests and a great deal of trouble.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC

Remember marriage is recognized and stems from the Church (and equivalent religions ways) anything apart from those are civil unions and not "marriages" in the traditional sense. Anyway all I was stating was forcing the Church or other religions to recognize it would result in large scale protests and a great deal of trouble.
They don't need to be forced into performing the marriage ceremonies and stuff. Marriage is a legal act, and if the religious groups don't believe or oppose gay marriage, they should have the right to refuse marrying same sex couples. Also, marriage does not stem from the church or religious institutions:

Marriages in the West were originally contracts between the families of two partners, with the Catholic Church and the state staying out of it. (http://www.livescience.com/37777-history-of-marriage.html)

So despite the strong correlation between the church and marriage, it still remains a legal act and doesn't necessarily "stem" from the Church

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

What has churches got to do with anything?
They don't need to be forced into performing the marriage ceremonies and stuff. Marriage is a legal act, and if the religious groups don't believe or oppose gay marriage, they should have the right to refuse marrying same sex couples. Also, marriage does not stem from the church or religious institutions:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-studying-Equality-Act-voted-Coalition.html

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/i-...want-gay-couple-suing-church-for-refusing-wed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ish-couples-win-right-to-marry-in-church.html

Australia's different though, right

JustDance

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

why would they want to get married in church if church doesn't want them..

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

If you can recognise that marriage is able to extend to those outside of the Church, why should the Church's definition of marriage be imposed on everyone? Or by extension, any of the values/ideals within the Church? Legalising gay marriage will not necessarily force the Church to accept SSM, but it will enable the rest of society who have moved on from the BCs...

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Legalising gay marriage will not necessarily force the Church to accept SSM,
except everywhere where its been legalised

but it will enable the rest of society who have moved on from the BCs...
retard

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

if you think religious people are stupid then youre basically a white supremacist

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

if you think religious people are stupid then youre basically a white supremacist
I don't think religious people are stupid, just that some beliefs are outdated

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

I don't think religious people are stupid, just that some beliefs are outdated
that makes no sense

whats the point of being religious if your beliefs change because of the prevailing trends of the moment

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

that makes no sense

whats the point of being religious if your beliefs change because of the prevailing trends of the moment
But many peoples' beliefs do change, the New Testament even changed a lot of the stuff in the Old Testament. Lots of Christians I know (who have been brought up in highly conservative households) support gay marriage, lots of pastors support it, didn't the Pope even come out and say he supported gay rights? People aren't stupid because they are religious or because their beliefs change - sometimes these changes are for the better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)