Christopher Pyne (1 Viewer)

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
What do you think of the new minister for education?

I was watching him on the 7:30 report yesterday and needless to say, he had some very... "interesting" ideas on many things, Australian history in particular. What he's said in the past on language learning and the new curriculum have also been... "interesting".

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
reality has a left-wing bias!!!! ahhaha stupid liberals!!!!!

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
instead of wasting time teaching students more about anzac day et al. when they already spend like a year on it in year 10, maybe they should fix the maths, science and english parts of the curriculum
Nah but

Aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi

LANADELREY

HSC
There are many who seek to denigrate European Enlightenment cultural antecedents and values. We must not forget, successful democracies and pluralistic liberal values that fought-off totalitarian regimes, violent fascist religious ideaologies and feudalistic usurpatory regimes - giving us the successful template of an open, democratic society we enjoy today.

European Enlightenment and Calvinist values of hard-work, made this country and USA, US, Canada, Germany, the Nordics, etc, the suceess they are today. Similarly, the Confusionist values of Asia have underpinned their social and economic success.

It is right that we celebrate our heritage. The "any ideology, religion should enjoy equal respect" despite overwhelming empirical evidence - should be REJECTED. There are many that seek to impose primitive, totalitarian religious values on the Executive of the State.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
lol i can't believe he's the minister of education

why

why

it's already so shit

please
The only one I can't stand more is Cory Bernardi, but god CP having the strings on education is possibly more damaging.

Yeah I'd like them to actually learn about the world, and also have a secular environment to do so.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you think of the new minister for education?

I was watching him on the 7:30 report yesterday and needless to say, he had some very... "interesting" ideas on many things, Australian history in particular. What he's said in the past on language learning and the new curriculum have also been... "interesting".
I'm surprised he made a comment about education, since he spends half of his public life trashing the Labor Party. Truly a reprehensible human being.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
instead of wasting time teaching students more about anzac day et al. when they already spend like a year on it in year 10, maybe they should fix the maths, science and english parts of the curriculum
"In every subject - from science to physical education - children must study Aboriginal culture, environmental sustainability and Australia's engagement with Asia, under the national curriculum forged by the former Labor government.

Kindergarten kids learning to count to 20 should also "read stories from other cultures featuring counting in sequence to assist students to recognise ways of counting in local languages and across cultures'', the maths curriculum states.

Year 6 kids studying geometry can "investigate the use of rotation and symmetry in the diagrammatic representations of kinship relationships of Central and Western Desert people."

And Year 4 kids learning about fractions will "investigate the use of fractions and sharing as a way of managing Country: for example taking no more than half the eggs from a nest to protect future bird populations.''

Year 10 statistics involves "investigating biodiversity changes in Australia since European occupation."

And in year 5 algebra, kids "use calculators to check the reasonableness of answers'' - rather than checking if an answer is right or wrong."

http://www.news.com.au/national/edu...in-maths-classes/story-fncynjr2-1226787712628

LANADELREY

HSC
"In every subject - from science to physical education - children must study Aboriginal culture, environmental sustainability and Australia's engagement with Asia, under the national curriculum forged by the former Labor government.

Kindergarten kids learning to count to 20 should also "read stories from other cultures featuring counting in sequence to assist students to recognise ways of counting in local languages and across cultures'', the maths curriculum states.

Year 6 kids studying geometry can "investigate the use of rotation and symmetry in the diagrammatic representations of kinship relationships of Central and Western Desert people."

And Year 4 kids learning about fractions will "investigate the use of fractions and sharing as a way of managing Country: for example taking no more than half the eggs from a nest to protect future bird populations.''

Year 10 statistics involves "investigating biodiversity changes in Australia since European occupation."

And in year 5 algebra, kids "use calculators to check the reasonableness of answers'' - rather than checking if an answer is right or wrong."

http://www.news.com.au/national/edu...in-maths-classes/story-fncynjr2-1226787712628
LMFAO. And lefties are crying about Pyne making it biased.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
LMFAO. And lefties are crying about Pyne making it biased.
the issue for me isn't the fact that policies are right/left wing or biased per se, because that is bound to happen with any australian party you vote in. the issue is what kind of agenda these innocent kids are fulfilling in their quest to get a decent education, and how their education is in fact influenced by the agenda. my kid can learn about maths in relation to aboriginal studies if that's what the government wants, as long as his/her ability to maffs isn't influenced by the latter subject (which i agree, is very irrelevant to maths). however, i'd be pissed if my kid came home indoctrinated, particularly at an age where they can't even discern between good and bad. i would love for my kids to be more culturally and spiritually aware, but with the current quality of staff and the teaching standards in australia, i wouldn't want their understanding of religion to be placed in the hands of their teachers. even worse than coming home indoctrinated, i'd be extremely pissed if my kid came home with a shallow or warped understanding of a faith (which would then probably lead to my kid being a religion basher since it's the easy path to take when you're young)

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
There's the old story that Christopher Pyne allegedly confessed to a liberal member while down the pub one night that he only joined the Liberal party (rather than the Labor party) because he lived in a Liberal electorate.

Tasteless

HSC
At first I hated that he was ed minister but his genuine slamming of the new nat curriculum and the leftist leanings in the humanities subject syllabuses in particular gives me hope.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Are Indigenous culture, sustainability, and Asia really 'leftist leanings'?

They aren't relevant to the physical sciences mostly, but you said humanities, and they seem like topics relevant to an Australian humanities education.

Unless you're talking about some other 'leftist leanings', I haven't really paid atrention to Pyne.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Spends weeks per year living and working in indigenous communities
Pledges to visit Jakarta first thing if elected PM
Starts a 'green army'

Tony Abbott = literally David Marr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)