Father stabs own son (1 Viewer)

Fonzie32

HSC
The father that stabbed his own son to death on a sports field in front of his mates...

Firstly, my condolences to the boys family and friends. I can't imagine what they are going through.

I have done some research and found that the boy, Luke, asked his mother if he could spend 5 more minutes with his dad in the cricket nets. In these 5 minutes, he was killed. The 54 year old father was known to have mental illness and the mother, Rosie Batty had also suffered years of domestic violence.

People are wanting tougher laws on this kind of issue. Laws that will hopefully deter people from murdering their own family and even strangers for that fact.

My issue about introducing this kind of law is that no matter what kind of law is put in place, if someone has the mind set to murder someone, they will do it regardless. Whether it be because of mental illness or pure anger. When you are in a position where you want to really MURDER someone, you wouldn't think of what will happen to YOU at the time. Lets be real. You murder someone, and then think "Oh shit, I could go to jail if anyone finds out", what are you going to do? Magically bring the person back to life and sort things out?

Laws can only prevent so many things. But I believe a law like this just isn't going to cut it. It's much like using your phone whilst driving. It's against the law because it dramatically decreases your concentration on the road and increases the chance of having an accident. But people still do it. Sure it may stop some percentage of people from doing it, but there are still far too many disobeying the law. Using your phone whilst driving can also be seen as murder if you kill someone by causing an accident. Something people just don't think about.

So what are your thoughts on this issue? Or just the law in general?

AngledAngel

HSC
People are wanting tougher laws on this kind of issue. Laws that will hopefully deter people from murdering their own family and even strangers for that fact.
What kind of law are you talking about? I am pretty sure that murder is already illegal.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
So do you want a patrol of vigilantes walking around as a deterrent?

There is seriously very little you can do to deter people from doing crimes. The best you can do us focus on justice and the legal system, even though only effective after the fact, is pretty much the only way in our society.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
So do you want a patrol of vigilantes walking around as a deterrent?

There is seriously very little you can do to deter people from doing crimes. The best you can do us focus on justice and the legal system, even though only effective after the fact, is pretty much the only way in our society.
can already see how something like this would work..

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Although laws are not essentially always effective in deterring the most determined and extreme individuals from committal of crimes, however, one must always keep in mind that establishing and maintaining a set of up-to-date laws are very important because laws reflects the moral and ethic code of a particular society, when a society have tougher laws, it is introducing to its citizens a renewed mentality of the lack of tolerance of extreme behaviours and thus serves as a psychological deterrent from committal of the act since it would often compel individuals to think twice before they actually impulsively 'murder' someone. It is always complicated when you have fractured family relationships and homicides and a various plethora of mitigating factors, however, I am a firm believer that the existence of law is vital to prevent anarchy and to ensure harmony and order within any society. Although I must admit it is sometimes frustrating to see that justice is not always served, and some of the laws, even in the most so called 'civilised' and 'advanced' societies, are not necessarily always just.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
Murder will still happen..... no matter how tough the laws are..... but however we could introduce the death sentience for murder.... seems like there people in society when a major case happen (eg anita corby murder) want the death sentience for these murders, but however they don't want the death sentience as a whole... wonder why?? do people have screwed up emotions....

spatula232

HSC
Murder will still happen..... no matter how tough the laws are..... but however we could introduce the death sentience for murder.... seems like there people in society when a major case happen (eg anita corby murder) want the death sentience for these murders, but however they don't want the death sentience as a whole... wonder why?? do people have screwed up emotions....
I think it depends on how the case impacts them personally. For example, someone is probably going to feel more emotional about a child being murdered rather than a pedophile... I don't know, I think it's just a personal thing and how it impacts an individual will decide their response to it.

Fonzie32

HSC
I think part of the reason why we don't have the death sentence here is because it's probably the most inhumane way of teaching someone a lesson (not that they will gain anything after being killed..), just like when the murder killed another person. It's inhumane and no one should be purposely killed.

What we need is MUCH tougher laws. I sure as hell don't want a murderer or pedophile walking our streets.

The government and authorities will waste time with useless laws such as what cars people can and can't drive, but will let a murderer walk free. What has this world come to..

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
What we need is MUCH tougher laws. I sure as hell don't want a murderer or pedophile walking our streets.

The government and authorities will waste time with useless laws such as what cars people can and can't drive, but will let a murderer walk free. What has this world come to..
We already have life imprisonment for murder..... but however the government and judges don't really apply it....

Fonzie32

HSC
We already have life imprisonment for murder..... but however the government and judges don't really apply it....
Exactly my point. But I think life imprisonment isn't enough for someone that had just gone out and killed someone. I think life and community service (supervised so they don't murder anyone else..) would be much better. Or something along the lines of that.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Guys have you read about reformation/boot camps? Reformation/boot camps for criminals in farms and rural areas have a high level of success as criminals find value in life from giving to society. Read up on it. People who come out of boot/reformation camps are highly less likely to recommit crimes and enter jail again.

Laws or corporal punishment does jack shit to deter people who will just kill when they come out. They will just be more angry and kill more.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Guys have you read about reformation/boot camps? Reformation/boot camps for criminals in farms and rural areas have a high level of success as criminals find value in life from giving to society. Read up on it. People who come out of boot/reformation camps are highly less likely to recommit crimes and enter jail again.

Laws or corporal punishment does jack shit to deter people who will just kill when they come out. They will just be more angry and kill more.
what

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

A lot of people in the American army from back 50-100 years ago were actually people who were in jail and they decided it be a good idea that they send them to war.

Imo that is not a bad idea. You have to be careful of some which will try and escape and attack their home country but other than that it actually could work.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Some laws enable sentences of say,... 10 years or rape or w/e for criminals who break it (during the committing of the crime).... (I don't know the exact laws and sentences)

Just for this example , rape will be used. If criminals are horny enough, they will still rape girls .... Thus IMO, reforming criminals is the way to go.

Reforming criminals so that they become a useful part of society had many benefits , e.g. Reduced cost, prevents over crowding of gaols.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Some laws enable sentences of say,... 10 years or rape or w/e for criminals who break it (during the committing of the crime).... (I don't know the exact laws and sentences)

Just for this example , rape will be used. If criminals are horny enough, they will still rape girls .... Thus IMO, reforming criminals is the way to go.

Reforming criminals so that they become a useful part of society had many benefits , e.g. Reduced cost, prevents over crowding of gaols.
no i was referring to you saying laws do jack shit to deter people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)